Hi All,

So I'm looking to connect my HardDrive to my Wireless Network (it's an external USB). It's something extra so I'm looking to Save (hence, no NAS's or Time Capsules for me). I'm looking at the Airport Extreme, however it's still a little too much for what I need it to do. I don't need a router with extra features, I just need a small box that will connect USB storage devices (so it needs USB Host I assume). Is there anything like that on the market? I briefly considered the PogoPlug but it only has Gigabit Ethernet...

Thanks!

Sheik
    04-02-2013 02:03 PM
    I would just recommend that you visit a nearby electronics store and have a look at their network hard drives and get a first hand look.
    04-02-2013 02:13 PM
    Well, I don't need a NAS. That's overly expensive for my needs. I have the storage, I just want a way for that storage to connect it to WiFi.
    04-02-2013 02:36 PM
    Well, I don't need a NAS. That's overly expensive for my needs. I have the storage, I just want a way for that storage to connect it to WiFi.
    If that storage device does not have built-in network capabilities then it has to be connected to a computer with sharing capabilities and has access to WI-Fi. Unless I misread your initial post, you said the hard drive is an external USB drive. Right? If so, you should be able to connect it to your computer, enable sharing with the external drive and then access it through the networked computer via Wi-Fi. I hope that made sense, and if I am misunderstanding what you're trying to do, I apologize.
    kch50428 likes this.
    04-02-2013 02:49 PM
    Nono, you understand perfectly, I was just wondering if there was a device a-la Airport Extreme that just connects the harddrive to wireless without the "router" portion.
    04-02-2013 03:37 PM
    Reconsider the Pogoplug. They work well and do what you want. We have two. One has a 500GB drive attached, the other has a 2TB drive.
    04-02-2013 04:52 PM
    Airport Express rather than an Extreme perhaps.
    04-02-2013 04:59 PM
    Reconsider the Pogoplug. They work well and do what you want. We have two. One has a 500GB drive attached, the other has a 2TB drive.
    Alli - does the Pogoplug create/use a wifi network? Without a computer in the middle? OP mentioned that they didn't think the Pogoplug would work because it only had gigabit Ethernet.
    04-02-2013 05:03 PM
    Alli - does the Pogoplug create/use a wifi network? Without a computer in the middle? OP mentioned that they didn't think the Pogoplug would work because it only had gigabit Ethernet.
    My Pogoplugs are plugged directly into the router.
    04-02-2013 06:56 PM
    My Pogoplugs are plugged directly into the router.
    But I assume that that router has wifi and that you can access stuff on the Pogoplug wirelessly? If so, that does sound like a good solution for the OP.
    04-02-2013 10:32 PM
    A little more background about my setup will help here: My router is an Airport Express (the direct-into-wall version). It has USB but not USB Host (good for printers, doesn't send out power via USB though so Harddrives wont work). I have a small apartment so I really don't need a large router. Also Airport Express does not have two ethernet jacks, it just has the one where the Modem goes. This is why Wireless is a must here because I physically do not have an extra ethernet port in my router.

So ideally... think a wireless pogoplug
    04-03-2013 03:09 AM
    Another possibility is to get a new airport express. I believe the newer ones have 2 Ethernet ports. And then get a Pogoplug.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    04-03-2013 07:37 AM
    Yup. I can, and have, accessed my Pogoplug while sitting in Paris and my Pogoplug is sitting in my living room in the states.
    04-03-2013 07:47 AM
    I mean if I'm going to spend 100+ dollars for the pogo+express, I might as well get an Airport Extreme... The whole point is to save money
    04-03-2013 08:35 AM
    What device(s) are you planning to connect to this Media hard drive? I'm assuming its more than a single computer because in that case you'd just hook the USB drive directly to the computer.

Knowing what other devices you want to use this with might help us come up with more suggestions.
    04-03-2013 12:49 PM
    Or see if the Pogoplug Pro is still available. It does connect to wifi networks.

http://m.cnet.com/reviews/pogoplug-pro/34195360?ds=1
    04-03-2013 12:52 PM
    I basically just want to upload my iTunes Library onto my Hard Disk, but I don't to take up a USB slot. Plus, I have an HTPC running Windows 8 and I'd like to have that computer access the drive on the fly to pull movies, music etc.

So basically yeah, shared storage
    04-04-2013 09:46 AM
    Look at keeping the iTunes library on the external drive, connected to the HTPC and use iTunes Home Sharing on other devices.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    04-04-2013 09:53 AM
    Look at keeping the iTunes library on the external drive, connected to the HTPC and use iTunes Home Sharing on other devices.
    That should work!
    04-04-2013 10:03 AM
    I hadn't thought of that!! Thank you so much!
    04-06-2013 11:33 AM