Q: MacBook Pro 2011 + wide screen ?

Slash82

May 8, 2018
Visit site
Hey friends,

hope to find here some help or information.

I'm (still) rocking a MacBook Pro from early 2011 and I mostly (99,9%) use it to write essays, articles and equal stuff.
Still perfectly usable and reliable for that work.

Here is my "problem":
The past years it has been hocked up with a 24" external display, which has worked pretty fine so far.

But with newer projects I need more "screen space" especially to use Pages, Numbers in combination with Internet Browser, Finder etc. It has become pretty fiddly and annoying to resize each window if I need more information on each window - I hope you get my point.

So at first I tried thought it might be a good idea to hook up a second screen, but then I found out that's not that easy because I would need an extension for my graphic card via USB - so I would be left with one usable USB port.

Now I thought if it's possible to buy an ultra wide screen (like those newer gaming screens)?
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about that?
Is it possible (graphic card support)?
I'm also very thankful any other tipp to find a solution for my problem - which would cost less than a new Mac. To me this old trusted machine is still has more than enough power just to use it as a "writing and researching device".

Thank for any help or advise to that!

Slash82

May 8, 2018
Visit site
Wide screens are nice if your graphics card supports that resolution.

Otherwise I'd suggest upgrading your 24" external display to at least a 27". Amazon has the Viewsonic (which works just fine) for $160:
https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3177321

Awesome!
Thank you for that advice!

Do you think the graphic card will be able to take advantage of those screens in terms of resolution and „shrinking down“ windows?

What I mean is: will I get more „work space“ instead of just seeing everything bigger?
Sorry, for my strange expression- I’m not a native English speaker.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Awesome!
Thank you for that advice!

Do you think the graphic card will be able to take advantage of those screens in terms of resolution and „shrinking down“ windows?

What I mean is: will I get more „work space“ instead of just seeing everything bigger?
Sorry, for my strange expression- I’m not a native English speaker.

In terms of resolution, yes. I have a 2011 Mac Mini using 2 of them and a 2011 iMac using one as an additional display.

As for "shrinking down", I'm not sure.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods