Its easy......if Goregia can do it....
    02-13-2012 07:43 PM
    If I jail break my iPhone. Can I tether without paying att?
    02-13-2012 08:18 PM
    If I jail break my iPhone. Can I tether without paying att?
    I'm not sure if there's way or not, but be warned that if they notice from your usage that you are doing that they'll slap you with a tethering bill anyway.
    02-13-2012 08:25 PM
    When you say you can restore the phone using iTunes, does it restore to your pre-jailbreak setup or is the only option to restore to factory, reinstall all the apps, settings, etc. This sounds like a pain. With an Android phone you could restore to a nandroid backup. Is there anything like that for the iPhone?

Second question is about iOS updates -- I'm really eager to see what the new iOS update brings (hoping for Siri and gps/maps improvements). How do you update a jailbroken phone?

Thanks!!
    02-14-2012 12:13 AM
    I want to do this simply to get rid of the requirement of using wifi to d/l files bigger than 20MB
    02-14-2012 03:52 AM
    I want to do this simply to get rid of the requirement of using wifi to d/l files bigger than 20MB
    Depending on what you want to do, you might not need to JB. For instance, if you want to download podcasts, check out an app like Instacast.
    02-14-2012 10:03 AM
    Customization is the biggest benefit. With themes and tweaks you can customize your iphone the way that you want.
    A good example is instead of sliding the lockscreen open, tap it open.
    02-14-2012 10:55 AM
    I would like to repost reltm's post (#29) because I have the same questions and I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle:

************************************************** *****************************************
    When you say you can restore the phone using iTunes, does it restore to your pre-jailbreak setup or is the only option to restore to factory, reinstall all the apps, settings, etc. This sounds like a pain. With an Android phone you could restore to a nandroid backup. Is there anything like that for the iPhone?

Second question is about iOS updates -- I'm really eager to see what the new iOS update brings (hoping for Siri and gps/maps improvements). How do you update a jailbroken phone?

Thanks!!
    02-14-2012 11:04 AM
    whenever you do a restore it will always bring you back to a "Stock" status. you can restore from a backup so you do not have to manually set up your device which does save time. there are options out there that will allow you to backup & restore your jalibreak apps/tweaks and data, or you can do it manually (which is what i prefer)

however, you have to be careful when restoring your jailbroken device(s), if Apple is no longer signing the firmware that you are on you will be forced to use the latest version, unless you have waited long enough until the next OS update has a jailbreak available OR have saved your SHSH blobs/Custom Firmware. this will allow you to bypass Apples server and restore to the saved firmware(s) as much as you wish

Thanks!!
    jailbreaking and iOS updates are a constant Cat & Mouse game. if you plan on always staying jailbroken then plan on always waiting to update. for how long? nobody really knows, it could be hours, days or months. very inconsistent. most of the time there will be a tethered option for jailbreaking but that has it's own set of parameters

please keep in mind that without writing a novel i briefly touched on these subjects and i would encourage you and anyone else to do as much research as possible before making any type of commitment to jailbreaking. i did for a couple of weeks before making the jump
    reltm and emjayess like this.
    02-14-2012 11:44 AM
    O.K., thanks Blink!

Much of that is greek to me, but I think I get the gist of it.

1) We can back up our jailbroken phones, but it's a real pain to restore.

2) We should do plenty of research into JBing. Yes, I did the equivalent on webOS with Homebrew and, because I did it since they started offering it for the Pre, I took for granted all that I understood about it all by the time I left the platform when Sprint got the 4S; now I'm starting over and have to learn a whole new vocabulary etc.

For example, your cautions about firmware and blobs etc. don't make sense to me...yet. My problem is I haven't had time to do the research and slog through the weeks of learning JB. But I know I'll do it eventually because the benefits of Homebrew on the Pre and Touchpad were worth the hassle, so I'm guessing that's true with IOS, as well.
    02-14-2012 01:31 PM
    Depending on what you want to do, you might not need to JB. For instance, if you want to download podcasts, check out an app like Instacast.
    Not necessarily podcasts, but I want to be able to d/l ANY file over 20MB on the cellular network and NOT via WiFi (just in case I don't have WiFi access at the time)
    02-14-2012 03:16 PM
    BUT I'M TAKING THE PLUNGE AS I TYPE THIS! Main reason is to see what cool apps are available since the last time I had a jailbroken iPhone (the 3g). Also i have a wifi only iPad and I need pdanet or myfi...whatever its called to be able to share my connection. Hope att don't bust me cuz once football practice starts up again for my kid, I need something to do while I wait ever afternoon. Plus I'm planning on upgrading my iPad 1 to the 3 or the 2s--whatever the next iPad will be called. I am planning on getting a wifi only again but only if I can get away with sharing the connection between now and the march release date. This will be my trial run! OH! I think its done already! I'm no longer pure!
    02-14-2012 05:49 PM
    whenever you do a restore it will always bring you back to a "Stock" status. you can restore from a backup so you do not have to manually set up your device which does save time. there are options out there that will allow you to backup & restore your jalibreak apps/tweaks and data, or you can do it manually (which is what i prefer)

however, you have to be careful when restoring your jailbroken device(s), if Apple is no longer signing the firmware that you are on you will be forced to use the latest version, unless you have waited long enough until the next OS update has a jailbreak available OR have saved your SHSH blobs/Custom Firmware. this will allow you to bypass Apples server and restore to the saved firmware(s) as much as you wish

jailbreaking and iOS updates are a constant Cat & Mouse game. if you plan on always staying jailbroken then plan on always waiting to update. for how long? nobody really knows, it could be hours, days or months. very inconsistent. most of the time there will be a tethered option for jailbreaking but that has it's own set of parameters

please keep in mind that without writing a novel i briefly touched on these subjects and i would encourage you and anyone else to do as much research as possible before making any type of commitment to jailbreaking. i did for a couple of weeks before making the jump
    How you save blobs on 4s? Every time I try to with new redsnows it says not supported for 4s yet.
    02-14-2012 06:47 PM
    BUT I'M TAKING THE PLUNGE AS I TYPE THIS! Main reason is to see what cool apps are available since the last time I had a jailbroken iPhone (the 3g). Also i have a wifi only iPad and I need pdanet or myfi...whatever its called to be able to share my connection. Hope att don't bust me cuz once football practice starts up again for my kid, I need something to do while I wait ever afternoon. Plus I'm planning on upgrading my iPad 1 to the 3 or the 2s--whatever the next iPad will be called. I am planning on getting a wifi only again but only if I can get away with sharing the connection between now and the march release date. This will be my trial run! OH! I think its done already! I'm no longer pure!
    i say as long as you do not go crazy on data usage you should be fine
    02-14-2012 08:59 PM
    How you save blobs on 4s? Every time I try to with new redsnows it says not supported for 4s yet.
    look into iFaith or TinyUmbrella. read up on it before you do it
    02-14-2012 09:01 PM
    My3G works great! what are you waiting on?
    02-14-2012 09:02 PM
    Are there any set backs to jailbreaking your iPhone...does it slow down the phone, cause reception issues, etc...?
    02-15-2012 11:22 AM
    Are there any set backs to jailbreaking your iPhone...does it slow down the phone, cause reception issues, etc...?
    it's all relative as to what apps/tweaks you put on your device AFTER you jailbreak. the jailbreak process alone, 99% of the time, does not hinder your device

do some research before downloading apps/tweaks in question. here is a good place to start or just simply google the name of the desired app/tweak. to put it frankly, whether you're a beginner, novice or expert at it you will run into issues from time to time so you have to be prepared and willing to tinker

for example, last night was the 3rd time in the last 10 days i had to restore due to some things that i felt were not right. yeah, it was mostly due to my OCD but still.. now here i sit with a stock OS wondering if i even want to hassle with jailbreaking anymore. maybe i should take a break..
    02-15-2012 11:50 AM
    Whoa! That doesn't sound good. Making me think twice about JBing.

Care to elaborate on what was "not right" so we can get an idea of the risks? Thanks!
    02-15-2012 01:02 PM
    it's all relative as to what apps/tweaks you put on your device AFTER you jailbreak. the jailbreak process alone, 99% of the time, does not hinder your device

do some research before downloading apps/tweaks in question. here is a good place to start or just simply google the name of the desired app/tweak. to put it frankly, whether you're a beginner, novice or expert at it you will run into issues from time to time so you have to be prepared and willing to tinker

for example, last night was the 3rd time in the last 10 days i had to restore due to some things that i felt were not right. yeah, it was mostly due to my OCD but still.. now here i sit with a stock OS wondering if i even want to hassle with jailbreaking anymore. maybe i should take a break..
    I am very bare bones NOW when it comes to what apps/tweaks I use on my 4S.
    Once I have a stable setup with my essential apps and tweaks, I don't add anything new.

I have fallen into a similar situation as Blink where previous jailbreaks (iPhone 3G, 3Gs and 4), I added to many apps and tweaks that I got springboard crashes daily. I got my iPhone4 with 4.3.3 stable but then iOS5 came out and I mucked with it.
    02-15-2012 01:24 PM
    I am pretty scared too the only think i have a problem with is updates to the apps and stuff. I know there is a new app store but are those apps in the reg app store in the cydia store?

anyone share a link of other cool and awesome things jailbreaking does?
    02-15-2012 03:29 PM
    Here are the best things I have learned about a jailbroken phone vs a clean one:
    1) I can modify Siri to open up my apps, turn on/off Bluetooth and Wifi, and do other things she can't do with a normal phone.
    2) I have free wi fi tethering, something Verizon would charge me $20 a month for.
    3) I have the ability to read/delete/send texts, etc. from my drop down menu thanks to Intelliscreen X without losing what I was in the middle of doing or having to reopen the app I was using.
    4) I have the ability to customize my icons, arrangement of them, and make my screen look like anything I want- including widgets and other things- like Android offers, but without the Android "bugs".
    5) I can find a lot of really cool stuff on Cydia, and it gives a whole new meaning to the term, "there's an app for that"!

Drawbacks?
    1) I've noticed that my phone occasionally develops little quirks, kind of like what I dealt with on my Android. I've had it respring repeatedly on reboot, and have had the screen freeze up- nothing a quick reboot or a connection to iTunes didn't resolve. I think the issue was related to iIntelliscreenX, but have no evidence of that.
    2) It requires a bit of a learning curve to get everything working the way you want it- but I find that fun, so it really isn't a drawback, per se...unless you hate sitting at a computer and figuring things out.
    3) My battery drains a bit faster- but I think it's primarily because I use the phone all the time now. It's just a lot more enjoyable. I still get a solid work day out of it, with a lot of juice left over, but usually need to throw it on the charger around 21:30 after having it off the charger since 0700.

So if I had to weigh the pros and cons, I'd jailbreak again in a heartbeat. When the next iOS version comes out, I will forsake upgrading it until a jailbreak comes out for the new software, because no stock update is going to be worth my time to lose all the advantages I gained.
    BLiNK likes this.
    02-15-2012 03:42 PM
    I am pretty scared too the only think i have a problem with is updates to the apps and stuff. I know there is a new app store but are those apps in the reg app store in the cydia store?

anyone share a link of other cool and awesome things jailbreaking does?
    Cydia is the app store for JB phones. You still have your regular app store. They work identically. When there's an update, Cydia lets you know. Only difference is, you have to uninstall apps you dld'd from Cydia IN Cydia. You can't just long press on them and "X" them out. Not a big deal, if you ask me. You can still buy and pay for regular apps in the app store. It doesn't change the functionality in that area one bit. The Jailbroken apps are not in the regular app store. Think of it like an aftermarket parts place for your car. You can go to the dealer and buy the expensive crap they peddle in the Parts department (App Store), or you can go to the aftermarket shop down the street (Cydia) and get cheaper and free things for your car that will really increase performance!
    02-15-2012 03:46 PM
    Cydia is the app store for JB phones. You still have your regular app store. They work identically. When there's an update, Cydia lets you know. Only difference is, you have to uninstall apps you dld'd from Cydia IN Cydia. You can't just long press on them and "X" them out. Not a big deal, if you ask me. You can still buy and pay for regular apps in the app store. It doesn't change the functionality in that area one bit. The Jailbroken apps are not in the regular app store. Think of it like an aftermarket parts place for your car. You can go to the dealer and buy the expensive crap they peddle in the Parts department (App Store), or you can go to the aftermarket shop down the street (Cydia) and get cheaper and free things for your car that will really increase performance!
    There's an app for that! Install Cydelete, then you can uninstall Cydia apps just like App Store apps.
    rich67 likes this.
    02-16-2012 12:11 AM
    Whoa! That doesn't sound good. Making me think twice about JBing.

Care to elaborate on what was "not right" so we can get an idea of the risks? Thanks!
    eh, i was having a moment of weakness. it will be okay.. just remember that IF anything goes awry a restore fixes everything

save your SHSH blobs now before 5.1 is released. jailbroken or not blobs can be saved and will need to be used after Apple stops signing 5.0.1 . or you will be forced to update to 5.1 which more than likely will not be able to be jailbroken (Untethered) for a while..?
    02-16-2012 12:23 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD