3g slow on 4.0.2.WHY?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
What can i do to speed this thing up..

Slow 3G is almost always local to a cell. It may be on either side of the cell, wired or wireless. It is usually a function of load. Move to a different cell.

If the cell is your home cell, you should prefer WiFi and you may wish to consider a microcell.

Note that I said "almost always." The exceptional case is local to the device. Compare to another phone in the same location. Note that radios do not usually fail this way. Most failure modes are binary; the device works or it does not. Rarely does it fail by slowing down. In any case, if the problem persists across cells, take it back to Apple. Actually, this is a good case, the only one that you can do much about.

Finally, while the AT&T service level is improving, there are still a few communities, e.g., NYC and SF, where AT&T service is generally bad. If you are in one of these, your neighbors will all see similar service. In fairness to AT&T, most of these situations are the result of local political situations, e.g., NIMBY, corruption.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Is he talking about 3G service or the iPhone 3G??? :confused:
I am not sure. I think that he thinks he is talking about his apparent service on his device. Does it make a difference to the answer to his question? Is my analysis missing something?

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure. I think that he thinks he is talking about his apparent service on his device. Does it make a difference to the answer to his question? Is my analysis missing something?

No, hes meaning like switching pages etc on the device, not that his 3g speeds are slow

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
No, hes meaning like switching pages etc on the device, not that his 3g speeds are slow
I think that you are right. I answered a question that he did not ask. I like the answer though.

They tried to teach me in The Artillery School to "read the GD* problem."

* I think that "GD" stood for Gunnery Department but the instructors would never commit.