redsn0w stopped responding

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
I decided today I was going to jailbreak and I was following all the steps as they said and as redsn0w was doing its thing right in the middle of it the windows alert pops up that says redsn0w has stopped responding and then closes it completely down. anyone have this issue? anyone have a solution?

i have windows vista.

this is what comes up:
2e5pbtv.jpg

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
i was not. i had 7.2 i took it from the top part of this. thanks! ill let you know if it works this time. i hope so! i nearly had a heart attack before and thought it screwed up my phone.

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
yeah i unzipped it i get passed the hold down the power button and home button stuff and it gets to the downloading jailbreak screen on the phone then i get that error. i found on another forum that others had this issue with cydia but not icy i guess ill just have to do icy even though i believe majority says cydia is better

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Which iPhone and which restore file are you identifying for resn0w to patch?

I had a problem when I tried it the first time and it turned out I was using the wrong restore file for my iPhone.

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
i used the two links from the top of this forum. i downloaded the redsn0w tramain provided me with. i managed to get icy to install, but when i go to download anything nothing works. it wont even install correctly. im pretty frustrated with it already!

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
i had this exact same problem. funny, i too use vista. wouldn't surprise me if that's part of our issue.

i tried this on my 3gs using redsn0w 0.8 (i'm on 3.0.1 OS), and used the 3.0 restore. did several times and just ended up with a dead iPhone stuck in DFU. had to do a complete restore via iTunes and gave up trying.

i never even got icy to install.

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
i had this exact same problem. funny, i too use vista. wouldn't surprise me if that's part of our issue.

i tried this on my 3gs using redsn0w 0.8 (i'm on 3.0.1 OS), and used the 3.0 restore. did several times and just ended up with a dead iPhone stuck in DFU. had to do a complete restore via iTunes and gave up trying.

i never even got icy to install.

mine was stuck it was really easy i just held down the home and power button till it restarted. didnt even have to restore. i think im gunna have to restore though. i guess ill just jailbreak on my mac maybe. its just frustrating because i mainly use my laptop.

ill let you know if i figure it out!!

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Maybe it's Vista. Just kidding. :p

I wish I could help. I use XP and had no issues with the jailbreak.

Im pretty sure its gotta be Vista because everything Ive found online that people have had issues similar are using vista.

I HATE Vista. I loved XP, but my laptop died on me and when I replaced it I had no choice. Im hoping that when Windows 7 finally gets released its a lot better. I am however slowly saving up for a macbook and I hopefully wont have to deal with Windows much longer anyways.

djdan00

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Yep. Ive had the same problem on vista. Used an old laptop I had with XP on and so far so good. Try and get hold of XP or use someones computer.

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Yep. Ive had the same problem on vista. Used an old laptop I had with XP on and so far so good. Try and get hold of XP or use someones computer.

Thats a possible option. I may have to go ahead and fight with my old laptop tonight if I have time.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I used Vista to do my jailbreak. I'm still betting it's the ipsw from the forum link, which is not for the 3GS - if that's what you're using.

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
it was vista. i just jailbroke it on my old laptop with xp and it worked first try no fighting with it like i had to with vista just to get icy! im so happy i was able to get it to work. thanks everyone!

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
it was vista. i just jailbroke it on my old laptop with xp and it worked first try no fighting with it like i had to with vista just to get icy! im so happy i was able to get it to work. thanks everyone!

well sonofa... guess i'll have to try JBing on my work PC that has XP. i swear, if it's not one thing it's another these days with software 'conflicts'. can't we all just get along?! ;)

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site

i had the exact same problem, and it is vista, havent yet tried on windows 7 final yet. I dont think its 100% vista fault, maybe something running at the time that knocks it out as many others have got it running fine on vista, out of interest are you running vista stock, sp1 or sp2? wonder if it would work in a selective startup (using msconfig) and kill everything apart from the apple/itunes services.

If we are correctly informed by various sources 3.1 should drop soonish so I will be trying to use the next redsnow when it drops on win7