5x4 SpringBoard

PCSGamer

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I was using random SpringBoard Themes from Cydia and instialled one of the many that makes your iPhone's SpringBoard a 5x4 Grid.

My question is:

Is there any way to revert the grid back to the original 4x4?

Any help is very much appreciated.

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
There should be a setting in Settings to do that. If it's a winterboard theme, just turn it off in winterboard.

Another method would be to download SBSettings, or BossPrefs, go to the Mobile Substrat Add-ons, and turn it off.

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'd recommend giving 5 x 4 another shot. It really helps if you find the No Wiggle tweak for the phone. speeds up moving icons and such. I tried going back to the 4 x 4 and it felt like going from a my 1680 x 1050 resolution down to a 800 x 600 resolution.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Also, regarding the 5x4 Springboard, IN PARTICULAR, "Five Column Springboard", I'm having a small issue.

Every time my iPhone goes into safemode, I restart, and when I come out, my Springboard is NOT how I left it in 5CSB. Is there any type of fix for this?!?

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't believe so. basically, i think safe mode forces a total of 16 icons per page (4 x 4 default) because the OS wasn't created to support 20. It's a hassle for me too, but that's how it seems to be treating me.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Now, here's some food for thought...

I was reading the other day that OS 3.0 now has a feature where when you sync your iPhone, jailbroken or not, it remembers your app/icon placement.

My question - has anyone tried that with Five Column Springboard?

Like, for example, set it up, arranged your icons how you'd like them, sync with iTunes, then purposely enter safemod. Once it's all screwed up, re-sync with iTunes, and see if they go back to where you put them?

I'm on the road right now so I can't test it, I'm just curious.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Now wait a second - in sbsettings, if you go to sbsettings>more>Dock Applications

what exactly does that do?!?doesn't that "lock" them into place?

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Found something that might interest you. An app called SpringBack. Backs up your spring board setting so that it restores after a safe mode. This way you don't have to rearrange it.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Dude, you're my here. I installed SpringBack, created a restore point, then purposely entered into Safe Mode. I restarted, went to SpringBack, restored from my old point, and everything works PERFECTLY.

Dude, you're awesome. Thank you.

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It's no problem. I'm glad I found that too! haha. Saves me some pain.

Just be sure to create a new backup if you delete/uninstall anything like the app warned you about.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, basically, everytime I delete an app, create a new backup, and restore from that one, correct?

Also, didn't they say NOT to sync to iTunes unless you tell iTunes NOT to reinstall the app you deleted?

That's what I got from it, at least.

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Correct. Basically, if there's any change in your springboard, don't use the previous backup that you made.

Create new backup with every new change.

Maybe there will be an update to auto backup, that would be the bestest.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Listen, I'm just happy this apt works on 3.0, with Five Column Springboard, on the 3G, I'm not picky. I don't need any updates unless it suddenly stops working. *chuckle*