iPhone 2.2.1 legally unlocked

Dahlia

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
This might have been answered a million times, but I?ve searched all around the internet and watched videos on youtube and I can?t seem to find the answer that I want. This forum looks pretty helpful, so I thought I would register and see if anyone can give me some answers.

I very recently purchased a 8gb iPhone off eBay and, yes I do have to say it?s a very sexy phone and I don?t mind paying $1AU at the apps store, but I wish to use apps that aren?t available there.

The phone originally was locked to the Telstra network (Australia), but was paid to be unlocked and now I?m using it with Vodafone.

The iPhone is running FW version 2.2.1 (5H11) with modem FM 02.30.03, is it possible to jailbreak this phone but have it still unlocked? It?s been legally unlocked so I?m not sure what to do yet.

I haven?t tried to jailbreak it yet because I want to get enough information from people first before I start playing around with a $1000AU phone?

Any help would be great, thank you in advance. :)
Shaun J.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm not sure what you mean by legally unlocked... but either way if you restored it and updated to 2.2.1 you will not be able to software unlock it. You would need a hardware unlock. Any restore for whatever reason will now lock that phone and like I said, and hardware unlock would be needed since it is at 2.2.1. And to be safe, in order to jailbreak - it will require a restore from scratch.