Used Iphone 3g - advice on jailbreak and dataplan

mart1969

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi!
I just bought a slightly used Iphone 3g from Craigslist seller, I'm currently with AT&T and don't want to have a data plan. I'm going to jailbreak the phone, I need somebody's advice on the following questions since I'm a newbie :) :
1. Keeping my current plan, coz i got wifi at work and home. Will AT&T know that I have an Iphone if I jailbreak the phone.
2. Jailbreak Iphone - will it still work with Itunes? I don't know how to use itunes with Iphone (no experience yet)
3. Will there be issues if Iphone is jailbroken with Itunes such as purchasing music or ringtones?

Please help.....

Thanks!

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
@1 - You might have to change plans when activating the phone. I think that AT&T requires a data plan. AT&T will not know that you have a jailbroken iPhone unless you bring it in for repair and do not restore to the latest firmware.

@2 - It will still work with iTunes.

@3 - No issues are present.

tx76mike

May 25, 2004
Visit site
My wife had a centro prior to switching her over to the iPhone with no data plan. Before I switched her SIM over to the iPhone, I called customer service requesting to block all data which they did (free service) since she doesnt use data and I mentioned I dont want her accidentally using data which would cost an arm and a leg. After I verified online that the block was in place, I switched her SIM over to the jailbreaked iPhone. Works well! She uses wifi at home and work for data. I believe AT&T does know she is on the iPhone since our online account shows her phone model as the iPhone. Its been 3 months now, and no issues. Without wifi she cannot connect to data driven services at all.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I have a Centro and use medianet for $20/mo (ATT has not yet caught on). If I slip that SIM into an unlocked iPhone will I continue my use of bargain data?

USCGMK

Oct 19, 2008
Visit site
i have been reading of people trying to avoid paying for a data plan with the iPhone and then getting txt messages from at&t telling them they need to purchase a data plan. you may get lucky, but they know which phone you are using unless you switch the imei number. but thats a whole new ball game.

tx76mike

May 25, 2004
Visit site
I have a Centro and use medianet for $20/mo (ATT has not yet caught on). If I slip that SIM into an unlocked iPhone will I continue my use of bargain data?

Yes you would be able to... but you will get those annoying txt messages, emails, and sometimes phone calls fro AT&T. You may not be able to keep it long though...

tx76mike

May 25, 2004
Visit site
Luckily, my wife's phone does not get the txt message... since we blocked all txt on her phone :) she doesnt use txt at all... LOL so far so good.

i have been reading of people trying to avoid paying for a data plan with the iPhone and then getting txt messages from at&t telling them they need to purchase a data plan. you may get lucky, but they know which phone you are using unless you switch the imei number. but thats a whole new ball game.