Is iTunes Match worth it???

Apple=Racket96

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Should I do it? I have over 1000 songs in my library and only 8gb on my iPhone 4 running ios 6. I tried google music but I realized that accessing it on the iPhone isn't worth the trouble.
So I'm looking into iTunes Match and it seems like a good deal. $25 for music cloud storage,great quality,not having to bother with the computer,and I'm still in the Apple ecosystem. Sounds perfect..
But nothing is perfect,so I'm asking you guys is iTunes Match worth it???

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It's convenient. And I believe with iOS 6 it streams the songs rather than downloading them like it did in iOS 5. So you would save space but if you're always on 3G then you need to figure in your data costs.

No match does not stream

It downloads as you play them

But you can play any song in your library ..

I use match and I find it really handy to have and worth the cost ..

But after playing so many songs it will take up space do just delete music from device when space is getting tight

Apple=Racket96

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
So wait if it takes up space then why wouldn't I just make smart playlists that updates with new songs daily and just wifi sync ? I didn't know it didn't actually stream...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So wait if it takes up space then why wouldn't I just make smart playlists that updates with new songs daily and just wifi sync ? I didn't know it didn't actually stream...

You could but match you can see your whole library and play what you want when you want .. Also if it matches your music it will give you better quality version from iTunes

But ya that's what it is

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You are wrong. With iOS, they changed the way Match works and it now is in fact a stream. You can choose to DL. I believe it might cache a little as you stream so that you have a better chance at continuous playback in poor reception areas.

The problem is the other changes they made to Match making it harder to do things like DL just one song on an album rather than the whole album and how to delete easily....etc....

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Yes, iTunes Match does stream now. Only thing, as of now, if you want to download a song, you have to download the whole album or playlist. I like it though. I have over 7500 songs accumulated since I got my first iPod about 10 years ago, and I don't want to always carry all those songs, but every now and then, i want to hear something in my collection that I don't always carry around. It's great for those odd moments when a particular song can enhance your mood.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, iTunes Match does stream now. Only thing, as of now, if you want to download a song, you have to download the whole album or playlist. I like it though. I have over 7500 songs accumulated since I got my first iPod about 10 years ago, and I don't want to always carry all those songs, but every now and then, i want to hear something in my collection that I don't always carry around. It's great for those odd moments when a particular song can enhance your mood.

When did it change ?

A Poet

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I bought iTunes Match for the same reason you're considering it: To save space. But, also, so I can hear anything I own at any time.

I really like the service. Setup was a pain because I have > 20,000 songs, but now I can stream any & every song while driving or at work. This means I never have to remember to sync that one song I had forgotten before a situation reminded me of it.

My wife doesn't use the service, because she knows what songs she likes (200-500) and doesn't want anything more.

My suggestion is to answer this question: How often do you want to listen to that album or set of tracks you haven't heard in a while?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I started using the service a few months ago. I love it. I only have about 5000 songs but its still more than my 32g iPhone. Now I can pick what I want when I want and I have more space for apps and other things. Absolutely worth the money.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I have about 10,000 songs and I'm always paranoid about losing them. It's worth the $25 a year for me just to know they're backed up in one more place. :p

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, iTunes Match does stream now. Only thing, as of now, if you want to download a song, you have to download the whole album or playlist........

Well, there is a workaround to this new "feature" apple put in. If you only want one song on a CD to download, start the CD download and then you can hit the stop button next to all the songs you don't want DLed.

I really like Match as I prefer my library on a whim rather than discovering music with the likes of Pandora.

The other change with iOS6 and Match is that now Genius works via Match. This is great!

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually for 25 bucks a year iTunes Match seems like a deal compared to some other streaming content media players such as Spotify where you pay USD 10 a month only to access their app on your iphone. I currently use Spotify though and have not tried iTunes Match on my iphone.