iTunes Match: downloaded music not playing well

natefish

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
iTunes Match: downloaded music not playing

I have a playlist containing about 300 songs downloaded from iCloud to my iPhone 4. However, when I want to play a song on it, it hangs and I see the "data spinner" next to the 3G indicator in the top bar (like it might if the song were not downloaded). So, is it trying to get data on something before I play the song? If so, how do I stop it? It's very frustrating. A song physically on my phone should play immediately, but it isn't. I also have trouble playing music in my car on the stereo connector. I can no longer search my music from the stereo unit and, when I do try to play a song, it gives me a message that says "requested URL could not be found" (very odd). This didn't happen before updating from 5.0.1 to 5.1 (which I did last week).

Last edited:

remipmc

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a playlist containing about 300 songs downloaded to my iPhone 4. However, when I want to play a song on it, it hangs and I see the "data spinner" next to the 3G indicator in the top bar. So, is it trying to get data on something before I play the song? If so, how do I stop it? It's very frustrating. This didn't happen before updating to 5.1 (which I did last week).
sounds like you are trying to play something before you have actually downloaded locally to your device. For example, if you have an album you want to play that only has a cloud next to it, press the cloud button to begin the download, once it is done it should play without any issues. Otherwise if you try to play a song that is in your cloud but not downloaded locally on your device, then it will play a piece of the music while trying to simultaneously download the track, which can lead to the song "hanging". Remeber match doesn ot stream, in order to play it will need to download to your device first. hope that makes sense

natefish

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
sounds like you are trying to play something before you have actually downloaded locally to your device. For example, if you have an album you want to play that only has a cloud next to it, press the cloud button to begin the download, once it is done it should play without any issues. Otherwise if you try to play a song that is in your cloud but not downloaded locally on your device, then it will play a piece of the music while trying to simultaneously download the track, which can lead to the song "hanging". Remeber match doesn ot stream, in order to play it will need to download to your device first. hope that makes sense

It is downloaded. Thank you for saying that--I should have been more clear and will edit my original post. That's exactly what is wrong: It is physically and locally on my device, but it still hangs for some reason. There is no cloud next to the song. Before 5.1, a locally downloaded song played immediately like it always has. Now, not so much.

remipmc

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It is downloaded. Thank you for saying that--I should have been more clear and will edit my original post. That's exactly what is wrong: It is physically and locally on my device, but it still hangs for some reason. There is no cloud next to the song. Before 5.1, a locally downloaded song played immediately like it always has. Now, not so much.
very odd, i have been using match from the day I got my 4S and never heard of anything like this realted to locally stored music. As far as the car stereo issue, that may very well be related to the firmware update. I would see if there are any forums related to that stereo or accessory. As for the original issue, I was randomly selecting songs on my device to see if i can get that "spinner" and the only time I see it is when the album art is not immediately displayed. the wheels show up and spins (but it doesnt impact the song playing), and stops once the art shows up. perhaps your phone is trying to pull down the album art, and for some reason this is impacting playback? either way very interesting issue, please update if you get any more info on this

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2