The First Year I’ll Skip...Anybody else?

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
So I’ve traditionally bought each iPhone with every release whether an S upgrade or distinct model change. I bought the X last year and personally have no reason to change!

I have the urge...I mean who wouldn’t want the 6.5” OLED with all the bells and whistles. But I’ve never used Plus size iPhones cause I have small hands so the X is perfect.

And yeah, there are definitely some differences between the X and XS that can’t be over looked but even selling my X and paying the difference I can see going for the XS. Then there’s the pricing and thought next year will be a redesign.

Anybody else sticking it out with their X and what are your reasons?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely gonna stick with my X.

The new devices are always tempting but I’m more than content with my X to upgrade

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I usually upgrade every year but, honestly, I’m not even tempted. The new devices are wonderful, but I don’t feel I’m missing anything by keeping my X. And I’m definitely not interested in carrying around a plus sized device anymore. Gave up both my pluses last year because of the heft and haven’t looked back.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Yea I'm staying with my X, don't really see the need to upgrade to this model. Maybe if the notch would have been smaller and used USB Type-C.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I’ve traditionally bought each iPhone with every release whether an S upgrade or distinct model change. I bought the X last year and personally have no reason to change!

I have the urge...I mean who wouldn’t want the 6.5” OLED with all the bells and whistles. But I’ve never used Plus size iPhones cause I have small hands so the X is perfect.

And yeah, there are definitely some differences between the X and XS that can’t be over looked but even selling my X and paying the difference I can see going for the XS. Then there’s the pricing and thought next year will be a redesign.

Anybody else sticking it out with their X and what are your reasons?

Like I’ve stated in a few similar threads, I don’t plan on getting one of the introduced iPhones and I’m not even tempted to get one.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I really wanted a XS Max, even more so after hearing it has band 71 and dual SIM, however, dual SIM only works on unlocked phones and every major US carrier locks their phones. Iphone Upgrade Program isn’t an option because it’s more expensive and I’m still paying off my X. So it would seem I need to hold off this year.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I wasn't going to but now I'm tempted to upgrade my 64GB X to a 64GB XS since I'm on the Upgrade Program and it would be the exact same cost. I was wanting to get more storage, but I still have a solid 25GB free after a year so it's not like I'm that pushed for space. I was partly thinking of holding off to pay off the X in case I wanted to go back to Google for some reason. However I really want a Watch now due to all the heart rhythm monitoring stuff which means I'm going to be locked to using Apple and then there's no point in waiting till next year.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I wasn't going to but now I'm tempted to upgrade my 64GB X to a 64GB XS since I'm on the Upgrade Program and it would be the exact same cost. I was wanting to get more storage, but I still have a solid 25GB free after a year so it's not like I'm that pushed for space. I was partly thinking of holding off to pay off the X in case I wanted to go back to Google for some reason. However I really want a Watch now due to all the heart rhythm monitoring stuff which means I'm going to be locked to using Apple and then there's no point in waiting till next year.

Makes sense completely. I have the Watch Series 3 and the Heart Rate monitor is enough for me. The electrocardiogram feature with the Series 4 is in my opinion NOT a good idea. I’m no doctor, BUT and ECG will show when you are actually having cardiac event. Cardiac events are for the most part acute. You don’t need a watch to tell you your are suffering from and MI, Heart Attack, etc. Again for me personally, I’d buy the Series 4 for the design change and specs, but I’d probably leave the ECG off...too much anxiety.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Makes sense completely. I have the Watch Series 3 and the Heart Rate monitor is enough for me. The electrocardiogram feature with the Series 4 is in my opinion NOT a good idea. I’m no doctor, BUT and ECG will show when you are actually having cardiac event. Cardiac events are for the most part acute. You don’t need a watch to tell you your are suffering from and MI, Heart Attack, etc. Again for me personally, I’d buy the Series 4 for the design change and specs, but I’d probably leave the ECG off...too much anxiety.

It kinda depends on the person. Some people with AFib don't know they're in AFib until they visit the doc for a routine checkup and get sent straight to the ER. I knew instantly when I had it due to having a rapid heart rate along with it. I had a surgery since the last time I was in it though so that might change the symptoms for me if I ever go into AFib again. Of course Apple has said they use the optical sensor to detect rhythm issues not the ECG. I still think it's kind of a useful feature as long as you understand it's not going to be as accurate/etc. as a multi-lead EKG at medical facility. I think of it as a "sanity check" i.e. "am I really having something going on or is it something else that is causing similar symptoms". Like people that have chest pain from acid reflux but don't know it's reflux until they go to the ER.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am not upgrading from my iPhone X unless

1. I somehow damage it.
2. If someone very dear to me needs a phone, but is hurting financially, then I would give that person my current iPhone and then go out and get one of the newer models for myself.

I don’t foresee either happening.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I am not upgrading from my iPhone X unless

1. I somehow damage it.
2. If someone very dear to me needs a phone, but is hurting financially, then I would give that person my current iPhone and then go out and get one of the newer models for myself.

I don’t foresee either happening.

🤨🤨

Sorry but I have to call it D. Lol

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I’m also skipping this year but the hard part is convincing myself too.

I feel like Pokie

The Gold Xs keeps calling me

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
And that was an EPIC fail as I sit here typing on my Gold XS MAX. Couldn’t resist. But in the end it was almost free. Best Buy has extra so I cancelled my order. A guy in line cancelled his XS and bought my X for $650. I put up another $450. So I now owe $49.00 which comes out to $1.67 a month to AT&T for 30 months and will pay off the $49 and own the XS MAX outright in 30 days. Totally random. So it’s all perspective, but I think the swap from the X to the XS MAX for $500 was worth it...

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
And that was an EPIC fail as I sit here typing on my Gold XS MAX. Couldn’t resist. But in the end it was almost free. Best Buy has extra so I cancelled my order. A guy in line cancelled his XS and bought my X for $650. I put up another $450. So I now owe $49.00 which comes out to $1.67 a month to AT&T for 30 months and will pay off the $49 and own the XS MAX outright in 30 days. Totally random. So it’s all perspective, but I think the swap from the X to the XS MAX for $500 was worth it...

My story is a little different. It was cheaper to upgrade than buyout my X and if having band 71 is good enough I can cancel my second line for work and save money. I’m banking hard on that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost