Anybody getting an Xr?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
iJustine did a great review using the coral color. It looks great but still my plus cost more. I am staying with my 8+. I don’t want a higher bill. Trying to get my devices paid off

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
No. Couldn’t imagine going back to a 2010 screen pixels per inch of 326.

You do realize that is the same PPI as the iPhone 8? From all reports, it is a very good looking screen and the average person could care less about specs.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You do realize that is the same PPI as the iPhone 8? From all reports, it is a very good looking screen and the average person could care less about specs.

Yes I do. Which is the same PPI for the past 8+years on at least 1 iPhone which for this day in age isn’t good. Why couldn’t they do the same PPI as the 8 plus? That is much sharper. What to save 5 or $10 on profit?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes I do. Which is the same PPI for the past 8+years on at least 1 iPhone which for this day in age isn’t good. Why couldn’t they do the same PPI as the 8 plus? That is much sharper. What to save 5 or $10 on profit?

I'd say go look at it. This Tweet is by a YouTuber who is very critical about phone displays: "Yeah, #iPhoneXR pixel density is a non-issue. If you had and enjoyed the iPhone 8 it’s the same ppi. And side by side with my XS I have to hold it close to my face to tell. I can definitely tell but no one will care. Gorgeous, vibrant display. So much bezel though. Boxed in."

This comment seems to be consistent among all reviews I've seen, that the resolution is a non-issue -- that it is a very good looking display.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I'd say go look at it. This Tweet is by a YouTuber who is very critical about phone displays: "Yeah, #iPhoneXR pixel density is a non-issue. If you had and enjoyed the iPhone 8 it’s the same ppi. And side by side with my XS I have to hold it close to my face to tell. I can definitely tell but no one will care. Gorgeous, vibrant display. So much bezel though. Boxed in."

This comment seems to be consistent among all reviews I've seen, that the resolution is a non-issue -- that it is a very good looking display.

She also said on twitter “if you enjoyed the iPhone 8 PPI density” which to me is sandpaper on the eyes. Sure it has good color but the sharpness isn’t going to any better. I could always tell the difference in the pixel density on the iPhone 7 Plus and 7 and I had both. The extra 20% PPI makes a difference. Maybe I just have better eyes than the average person.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The difference in the 7/7 Plus and/or 8/8 Plus screen was enormous. The screen on those small phones didn't look that great. The screens on those smaller phones didn't pop with colors like the bigger ones.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
She also said on twitter “if you enjoyed the iPhone 8 PPI density” which to me is sandpaper on the eyes. Sure it has good color but the sharpness isn’t going to any better. I could always tell the difference in the pixel density on the iPhone 7 Plus and 7 and I had both. The extra 20% PPI makes a difference. Maybe I just have better eyes than the average person.

You have better eyes than normal. ;) Studies show that most people can't really tell the difference between the two. I went to the Apple Store today and looked at the Xr -- I think most people (not us tech nerds) will be happy with it. It appears with the "Liquid retina" that Apple talked about, they did a good job of improving the colors and brightness.

I'll agree that Apple "should" have made the screen 1080P, rather than 828p (or whatever it is). At the same time, Apple does what they want -- they tend not to care what us tech nerds think -- so it seems pointless to me to complain about what it isn't. Again, I think most people, those that don't buy based on "specs," will be very happy with the Xr screen. I think this is even true for some "tech nerds" who have issues with PWM, so chose not to have an OLED.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
You have better eyes than normal. ;) Studies show that most people can't really tell the difference between the two. I went to the Apple Store today and looked at the Xr -- I think most people (not us tech nerds) will be happy with it. It appears with the "Liquid retina" that Apple talked about, they did a good job of improving the colors and brightness.

I'll agree that Apple "should" have made the screen 1080P, rather than 828p (or whatever it is). At the same time, Apple does what they want -- they tend not to care what us tech nerds think -- so it seems pointless to me to complain about what it isn't. Again, I think most people, those that don't buy based on "specs," will be very happy with the Xr screen. I think this is even true for some "tech nerds" who have issues with PWM, so chose not to have an OLED.

I have over 20/20 vision close up. I enjoy my iPhone XR screen just fine.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought a black one tonight. Struggled between this and the XS. Mainly because of the price. After getting it home and using it I’m realizing it feels too big. I could probably get used to it but more than likely I’ll get tired of it and regret not getting the one I really want that offers everything. Already missing 3D Touch. Didn’t realize how much I used it, especially with notifications on the lock screen.

For those worried about the screen, I’d say you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I had them side by side in the store and thought the R was a little brighter. To me the screen is great.

In the end though I think I will regret not getting what will be best for me.

I’ll probably be back at Best Buy tomorrow as a $100 gift certificate I have expires tomorrow.

For what it’s worth I’m coming from an iPhone 7.

Feel free to ask me any questions while I still have it.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I bought a black one tonight. Struggled between this and the XS. Mainly because of the price. After getting it home and using it I’m realizing it feels too big. I could probably get used to it but more than likely I’ll get tired of it and regret not getting the one I really want that offers everything. Already missing 3D Touch. Didn’t realize how much I used it, especially with notifications on the lock screen.

For those worried about the screen, I’d say you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I had them side by side in the store and thought the R was a little brighter. To me the screen is great.

In the end though I think I will regret not getting what will be best for me.

I’ll probably be back at Best Buy tomorrow as a $100 gift certificate I have expires tomorrow.

For what it’s worth I’m coming from an iPhone 7.

Feel free to ask me any questions while I still have it.

I had an X, and was not wowed by the Xs release at all. If I sell my X I didn't think I could justify shelling out an extra $350 -$400 for an Xs. The better camera and better speakers isn't enough to spend that type of money when my X works perfectly and still feels brand new to me.

However, the XR REALLY intrigued me. The vibrant color choices and in between size of the XS and XS Max had me itching to try one. I think the XS is the perfect size device, but at times I wish I had a slightly larger phone for video watching and more keyboard space. I was most worried about the LCD display, but after using this phone for a couple of hours I am pleasantly surprised by how good the display looks. I love the single lens portrait mode, not sure why the XS doesn't use the single lens. I slightly miss 3D touch but I don't think it's a deal breaker for me.

I'll use this for the next week or so and decide if I want to keep it over my X. Curious to hear what others think so far that bought the XR. I'm really psyched to see how good the battery is.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I had an X, and was not wowed by the Xs release at all. If I sell my X I didn't think I could justify shelling out an extra $350 -$400 for an Xs. The better camera and better speakers isn't enough to spend that type of money when my X works perfectly and still feels brand new to me.

However, the XR REALLY intrigued me. The vibrant color choices and in between size of the XS and XS Max had me itching to try one. I think the XS is the perfect size device, but at times I wish I had a slightly larger phone for video watching and more keyboard space. I was most worried about the LCD display, but after using this phone for a couple of hours I am pleasantly surprised by how good the display looks. I love the single lens portrait mode, not sure why the XS doesn't use the single lens. I slightly miss 3D touch but I don't think it's a deal breaker for me.

I'll use this for the next week or so and decide if I want to keep it over my X. Curious to hear what others think so far that bought the XR. I'm really psyched to see how good the battery is.

Congrats!!!

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
So is there no 3D Touch at all on the xr? I thought that the keyboard cursor thing still worked in some ways? I’m still on a 6 plus so never used 3D Touch and doubt it would really bother me not to have it. Just wondering cause I am seriously considering getting this phone on. Black Friday.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
So is there no 3D Touch at all on the xr? I thought that the keyboard cursor thing still worked in some ways? I’m still on a 6 plus so never used 3D Touch and doubt it would really bother me not to have it. Just wondering cause I am seriously considering getting this phone on. Black Friday.

There is no 3D touch, just haptic touch which works on the lock screen, control center and the space bar of the native keyboard.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77