Regarding Face ID: Currently waiting on a table at the All You Can Eat Crow Buffet

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Welp, I was sure Face ID would be pretty damn good, but didn't think I could live without Touch ID. I was wrong. My goodness, Face ID is freaking good. I still do wish Touch ID was still there, but Face ID is good enough after using this device for a few days to be on its own.

Overeating on that crow right now.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Welp, I was sure Face ID would be pretty damn good, but didn't think I could live without Touch ID. I was wrong. My goodness, Face ID is freaking good. I still do wish Touch ID was still there, but Face ID is good enough after using this device for a few days to be on its own.

LOL I picked up my iPad last night and was like "what? I have to push a physical button? and try to get this 1st gen touchID to actually work?" (5th gen iPad). 95% of the time FaceID has just instantly unlocked the phone before I even get to swiping. About 5% of the time I've had to wait a second for it to try or try a second time or it didn't go off but I swipe up and have it unlock as I'm swiping.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
LOL I picked up my iPad last night and was like "what? I have to push a physical button? and try to get this 1st gen touchID to actually work?" (5th gen iPad). 95% of the time FaceID has just instantly unlocked the phone before I even get to swiping. About 5% of the time I've had to wait a second for it to try or try a second time or it didn't go off but I swipe up and have it unlock as I'm swiping.

With Face ID there is definitely a slight learning curve to have it catch your face when you're casually trying to unlock it from a certain angle if you're standing and looking down.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I, too, was a bit skeptical, but TouchID is the real deal. It works well for me. Still, every now and then I catch myself pressing the screen where the Home button typically is on previous iPhone models...

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have been using my X non stop since Friday and the face recognition hasn’t failed yet. Even in very low light, it’s fast and responsive. Couldn’t be happier.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

It takes a big man to admit when he was wrong.
I went in with cautious optimism and so far Face ID has exceeded my expectations. Even Apple Pay isn’t all that inconvenient, which was a main concern of mine going in.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what phones you guys are using, but both my wife an I got the X, and the Face ID is not that good. It doesn't pick up from many angles. It doesn't pick up in my car mount, I have to lean forward. Even occasionally when I stare right at it, it doesn't catch. I redid my Face ID several times at different angles and distances, and no luck. I also disabled attention which helped a little, but by no means is this an improvement over Touch ID. Touch ID was MUCH faster and more convenient.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
TouchID was definitely faster for me. But FaceID is good enough. I don’t have any complaints with it. It works well. I’ve had to restart my phone once because it didn’t pick up my face but aside from that all has been well.

jdubb82

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

I had planned to disable it out of the box. Yeah no, it’s awesome. Lol

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I️ did the same thing with my other phone🤣🤣 I’ve always hated the home button but I️ didn’t think I’d like FaceID....I’m totally in love♥️

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what phones you guys are using, but both my wife an I got the X, and the Face ID is not that good. It doesn't pick up from many angles. It doesn't pick up in my car mount, I have to lean forward. Even occasionally when I stare right at it, it doesn't catch. I redid my Face ID several times at different angles and distances, and no luck. I also disabled attention which helped a little, but by no means is this an improvement over Touch ID. Touch ID was MUCH faster and more convenient.

TouchID is faster by maybe a second. For me, at least, FaceID is fast enough. As for convenience, I agree that TouchID is more convenient because you’re taken directly to the home screen after authentication whereas with FaceID, you still have to swipe up to get to the home screen.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
TouchID is faster by maybe a second. For me, at least, FaceID is fast enough. As for convenience, I agree that TouchID is more convenient because you’re taken directly to the home screen after authentication whereas with FaceID, you still have to swipe up to get to the home screen.

I thought you had the 8? Did you wind up getting the X?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Still, every now and then I catch myself pressing the screen where the Home button typically is on previous iPhone models...

I don’t do that anymore but now I find myself swiping up from the bottom of my Mini 4 trying to get to the home screen.