So how are you liking the True Tone option of the X thus far?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: True Tone Yay or Nay?

Turned on here. Off its wayyy too cool. But then I'm used to using a Dell monitor on my PC that is calibrated very well out of the factory. Whites look more like my Dell when I turn True Tone on.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Since everyone is commenting on the warmer tint, I’ll just say at first I thought might shift was enable for some reason. And because it looks so much like night shift it has never bothered me.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site

Clearly there is a good split on this issue. Lots of yays, lots of nays. Thank heaven it can be turned on/off.

Me, I keep it off.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

I like the True Tone and have mine set on auto and it’s working perfectly for my daily needs. Couldn’t be happier.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

I've had it on for 2 days now, gonna try 2 days with it off. To me it seems my eyes were straining alot with it on.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I don't like it, shut it off immediately. Way too yellow for my liking

I felt that way initially but kept it on, without it on the display looked way to blue under the store lights. Since then, I'm not seeing the same amount of yellow. At least one thought is that I changed from the default beach wallpaper. I suspect that part of the extra yellow color is because of the wallpaper. Though it could also have to do with the store lighting.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

Turned off. I don't like that tint it gives colors, especially the whites. I feel like it takes away from the screens quality.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

I prefer it on. In most lighting it makes white look more of a true white. There are certain lighting situations that it looks a little yellowish, but I prefer that to looking too cool, almost blue in most situations. With it off it looks a lot more like my Samsung S8+ which I always thought had whites that skewed blue.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I use and like TrueTone, and doubt very seriously that it has any noticeable affect on battery life.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
True Tone Yay or Nay?

I’ve kept True Tone on. Too blue with it off. Ironically a colleague at work walking by me the other day said it looked yellow (w/ True Tone on).

Would be nice to be able to adjust it just a bit, but regardless I’ll be leaving it enabled.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

This is one of the big selling features for me. I spend so much time on the phone per day, anything that makes the display more natural looking and easier to read is a big bonus in my mind.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

Yes it does affect battery life. It's worth the penalty though.
I abhor night shift. Never liked it. However, true tone is great because once you understand how it works and why it's necessary it's hard to do without it! Think about looking at a piece of paper. It's diffuse and its tint is dependent upon the ambient lighting. A static white point is fine in an office or studio but our phones aren't stationary. The screen will always appear as a piece of bright white paper while illuminated by the ambient lighting. If you have incandescent lighting or CFL/LED lights with warm white (approx 2700k) color temperature, the display's white levels will indeed look warmer. So will the paper. Outdoors, the color temperature is very cooler and the display again will reflect this. This is why a normal display that looks white at home will look much different in the office or outdoors.

There is a battery hit because sensors are constantly polling the ambient light sensor and the controller has to dynamically shift the display's color temperature. If you want the absolute best battery life turn it off as well as auto brightness. The extra 10 minutes (at most) you gain of on screen time at the end of the day (IHMO) is NOT worth the trade off!

Also, when the screen shifts brightness and color, the increments are much smaller so it's not nearly as harsh as other phones.

Finally, if you want to adjust the color with either true tone on or off you can. Here's how:

Click on settings.
Find General and click on it.
From there, find Accessibility and click on it.
Find Display Accommodations and click on it.
Find Color Filters and click on it.
You should see an image with colored pencils.
Click the toggle to the right of Color Filters.
Look for Color Tint and click it so it has a check mark.
Two sliders below labeled INTENSITY and HUE can be adjusted to your liking.
You can play with this literally for hours even holding a piece of paper next to your phone to get it as close as you can, etc. Or just adjust it until it doesn't seem so yellow, etc. I've played with it for a while but find that leaving it off just seems to be the best. Everyone's panel is different and is individually calibrated at the factory to have the best results. But there can and will be sample variance and some users are more sensitive than others to this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2