• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

So how are you liking the True Tone option of the X thus far?

myurkus

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: True Tone Yay or Nay?

I'd be shocked if it even had a 0.0007% effect on battery life.

Actually, while you may be correct in older displays, OLED displays differ from LCD or LED displays in that instead of having a ubiquitous backlight that is filtered out to display different colors, each pixel is independently lit up.

Or put it this way: An LCD by default has all of the pixels turned *on* (pure white.) RGB color filters are then added to reduce the output to reveal different colors. "Black" is achieved when all of the RGB filters are turned on at their highest setting.

The result of this is that black on an OLED is "truly" black, with the pixel actually being completely *off*. (Where black on an LCD is actually turning on all filters at the highest settings.)

Thus colors make little to no difference on an LCD since the baseline white illumination is always on, where OLED Only powers lit up pixels, with black having the pixel truly turned off.

That is why you see most backgrounds on the Apple Watch predominately black: significant number of pixels turned off results in a significant reduction in battery usage!

The same goes for intensity- the brighter each pixel in an LCD is just a result of filtering; however, it is directly proportional to the voltage applied to each OLED pixel.

Thus True Tone, which is dimmer by nature, should result in a substantial decrease in battery usage.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It’s a go for me. I tried to turn it off, but couldn’t go back to the headache splitting “blue screen”. My iPad doesn’t have True Tone and I notice it immediately every time I use it.
I do notice that True Tone seems more aggressive on the X than my 8plus I used to have. Maybe it’s the OLED screen?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It’s a go for me. I tried to turn it off, but couldn’t go back to the headache splitting “blue screen”. My iPad doesn’t have True Tone and I notice it immediately every time I use it.
I do notice that True Tone seems more aggressive on the X than my 8plus I used to have. Maybe it’s the OLED screen?

I noticed it too, and I think it is the OLED.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I just turned it off to see if the difference is meaningful to me. I notice the difference for sure, but it’s not meaningful. I wonder if having it on impacts battery life at all. If so, I’d leave it off and forget about the feature in seconds. I’ve already adjusted to it being off as I type this response. It’s fine, on, as long as it doesn’t impact battery life but not worth it if it indeed does, IMO.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
It looks yellow because your ambient light is warm.
Hold a piece of paper next to your phone with it on. You will notice that it's very close to the same white point as the ambient lit paper. Turn it off and it gets much colder aka blue.

I was skeptical at first but once I got used to it I can't wait to have this feature on my macbooks!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman