Anyone switched from a big phone (around 5") to SE? How it feels?

sladyrko

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey good people. I was using iPhone 6 and was pretty happy with the size. When the warranty ended I sold it, and bought Huawei P9 to try Android (big mistake). Now I want to sell this thing and go back to iOS when everything just works. I am thinking about SE because I will use it most likely until next big Apple event in fall when they will show the new devices. If I like the SE maybe a year more. And the price is pretty good. Only thing that makes me nervous it going back to smaller screen, although I don't like too much the bigger screen size. It makes the phone hard to use and dropped it couple times (for my luck at home on the carpet so it's OK). And what's the max resolution of Youtube videos? If you have a minute you can share your experience with the phone.

Thank you in advance. :)

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello! The SE feels like a very small and compact iPhone. It’s great for those who wants a small iPhone that can be navigated with just one hand. As I use my iPhone a lot, I find it too small for my liking. I wouldn’t enjoy watching videos or playing games on it. I still have my iPhone 5 and I do appreciate its design, but I’ve gotten used to the bigger screens.

If you don’t mind the screen size, then it should serve you just fine until Fall

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When I upgraded to the 6s Plus, I kept my old iPhone 5 as a back up. I continued to use the 5 occasionally for specific purposes, and it always felt and looked small. But other than a badly degraded battery, it still worked fine. I much prefer the 5.5" screen on the 6s Plus. The SE is a good phone though, if you don't mind the small size.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I would say that it depends what you care about.

Since you mentioned that the P9 is hard to use because of the size, I believe you will find the SE's smaller size refreshing. I'm someone who finds one hand usage important for a phone and it is great with SE. It will feel much easier to use for you.

I suggest going for it. Every time I use a bigger phone and go back to the SE, I always find it very refreshing and easy.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
The 6/7/8 has a 4.7” screen and the SE has a 4” one. Thats quite a difference in mobile screen sizes.

Unless you watch videos or read a lot on the phone, the SE should do great. The small size has a huge set of advantages.

Try it out and if you can’t get used to the smaller screen, then you can always return it within 14 days and get the 8 or 8 plus.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I’ve had a 5, a 6 Plus, and now I’m using a 7. The 7 is what feels best for me. The former two were too small and large, respectively. My wife uses the SE and has not made a comment on the size. She came from a 6 and initially preferred the smaller 5 design. I believe she still does.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I came from the Pixel and the Lumia 950. I also had a 6/6S before, but the SE was the first iPhone I used long term. I like the size, and even at one point had all three sizes to try back to back to back, and I chose the SE. Like others I like the one handed use. I am holding off on my next phone until the replacement for the SE is announced. If it doesn't have a few key improvements I will probably get an X. Of course at that point it will only be 6 months from next falls new phones so maybe I wait longer. The SE is the longest I have kept a phone in a long long time, so that is saying something.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I had the iPhone 6s+ for a year and I found it to be both too large and too small. It was too large to comfortably carry on a hike or in my pocket when riding my motorcycle (etc.). At the same time it was too small for watching videos or for reading e-books or even surfing the web.

So I got an SE and it’s small enough to be unnoticeable on a hike and no problem at all in my pocket while on my motorcycle (etc.). It’s still fine for phone calls, texting, emails, GPS, weather, and so on. For videos and ebooks and other reading I have an iPad mini 4, which is the absolute perfect size for those kinds of things, for me, in a portable device. I even process RAW photos from my camera on it with Snapseed.

Alas, it looks like Apple isn’t going to continue the iPad mini line and I’m going to have to do some serious thinking about whether to stay with Apple or switch to Android. But that’s for the future. My iPhone SE and iPad mini 4 are good for at least another year. (Ironically, one thing keeping me with iOS is that Google’s Snapseed is limited to just DNG RAWs on Android and I wouldn’t be able to process my Sony’s RAWs on the go.)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77