Help - WhatsApp shut itself down due to low storage, what can I do?

I

iMore Question

Help - WhatsApp shut itself down due to low storage

Hi everybody!

It seems like my WhatsApp has given up on me today. Over the last few weeks it was always running on low storage and I was forced to exit the app a few times. After deleting some stuff it was fine again.
Today, WhatsApp closed down and when I re-entered the app it asked me to type in my number and I am supposed to recover my old data. (Technically this would be fine but my icloud back-ups didnt work properly so my last back-up is some 5 months old)

I was wondering if I can recover more recent data (storage shows me that there are some 3GBs blocked with WhatsApp and back-up would be some 2GBs). There is also an option to continue without recovering the data from the last icloud back-up but I am a Little afraid that I might delete even more.

Sorry for the long message & I would much appreciate some advise! Thanks :)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Help - WhatsApp shut itself down due to low storage

Hi, welcome to iMore.

Most likely WhatsApp hasn't deleted anything yet. Make sure to remove some old photos and videos and irrelevant apps, open WhatsApp, type in your phone number as suggested and then delete some conversations in the app. If there are any groups or conversations with a lot of pictures and videos, delete those too. That will free up a lot of space.

I personally go in WhatsApp on a monthly basis and clean up a lot of media and conversations which aren't relevant anymore. That way I keep my phone storage steady.