TomTom for Iphone & Music

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
I really liked what i saw of the tomtom setup for iphone on the wwdc keynote video and the clip tomtom themselves released.

Im a little confused over how it would work when it came to music as they say it will play your music.

Example.

I own a belkin tunecast 2, which plugs into the iphone and broadcasts the audo out to a radio frequency which i tune into on my radio. However. All sound gets pumped through this connection so when i was using xGPS it would only play the turn by turn notifications if i was tuned into that station, in order words i couldn't listen to the radio and navigate.

By the looks of things tomtom have their own dock coming out but i wonder if they can get the iphone to deliver sound of of the speaker whilst the dock cable is connected, or whether the tomtom sound will always come from the speaker and music will be seperate.

Anyone know any more about this yet?

Really looking forward to this as ive been a tomtom user for many years with original hardware, pda and windows mobile.

THanks

Last edited:

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
No one will know till TomTom reveals more info or until the actual dock is released.

I can tell you that when I use the current version of G-Map (v.1.3) my iPhone is connected to the Belkin FM player and I *am* able to play my music through the car stereo at the same time G-Map is on...when G-Map "speaks" (or in the case of pre-3.0, beeps), the sound is transferred to the car stereo - the music "dims" for a split second as the beep goes off. So both the GPS and music are played through the car stereo.

Last edited:

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
I think they mean that you can listen to your iPod music not FM Radio music....iPod music that is on your iPhone. You can start your iPod music collection playing, open tomtom and navigate and listen to your ipod music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. Both navigation and ipod music will come out of the iphone speaker, therefore if you hook it to a fm transmitter, both music and navigation prompts will come out of your car stereo.

If you want to listen to the fm radio and hear TomTom, you will need to not plug in the fm transmitter to your iphone and keep your radio volume low so that you can hear the navigation prompts from your iphone speaker.

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
Yea that's what I have to do at the moment but was really cusious about how tomtom is getting it's sound and the music to your stereo.

I'm hoping that there will be a built in speaker or the ability to output to iPhone speaker too. Either that or I'll have to run tomtom whilst not charging to be able to use the radio.

Come on tomtom the suspense is killing me!

sleeks

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Yea that's what I have to do at the moment but was really cusious about how tomtom is getting it's sound and the music to your stereo.

I'm hoping that there will be a built in speaker or the ability to output to iPhone speaker too. Either that or I'll have to run tomtom whilst not charging to be able to use the radio.

Come on tomtom the suspense is killing me!

+1

This will be something that I will watching to see which of the GPS programs gets this right.

I have a Kensington Liquid Aux which uses the dock connector to both charge and output to an aux jack. If I have the phone connected to charge it (which I will likely want to do if I am running GPS) then I won't be able to hear any GPS commands unless I have the radio switched to the Aux input. That is no fun if I happen to be listening to sat. radio at the time.

They will also have to have an option to disable auto-lock for those of us whose company disables the auto-lock - never option when we connect to our work email.

Xroad has been very responsive to my requests for updates and they added the auto-lock option into their latest build. I have put in a support request for an option to allow sound to still come out of the speaker even if the phone is connected to my dock connector. The phone still rings out the speakers and the aux input simultaneously, why can't an app. I'll have to see what their response is.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to this app and the window mount. I have a maxell cassette adapter for my ipod touch, I'm assuming it will work for the iphone as well. Maybe there will be an audio output port...at least that what i'm thinking

cnarchet

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
When will this app be released and how will I be able to hear it in my car? I currently use my iPod video for music in my car by hooking it up to the AUX port located in my glovebox. You think that they'll be able to figure out a way to provide the turn by turn directions sound through my car stereo from the AUX switch so I won't have to use both my iPhone and iPod?

iamtone

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to this app and the window mount. I have a maxell cassette adapter for my ipod touch, I'm assuming it will work for the iphone as well. Maybe there will be an audio output port...at least that what i'm thinking

cassette adaptor wit ur iPhone?

looks at calender.....

this is 2009 man!

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
Not that I have heard. It seems that tom tom are like a lt of companies that announce somthing great that everyone wants and then remain completely silent on the matter. They need to say something or they are goig to lose out to other apps

Supes2000

Mar 17, 2006
Visit site
LOL!! That is the truth. I could have really used it a few days ago, settled for google maps, actually, I more excited about the accessory than the software.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77