Galaxy S8 Anyone?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The honeymoon period was brief. I changed my mind last night and this morning when I was out all day yesterday and the battery life only managed a little over 4 hours SoT. My iPhone 7 Plus got better battery life.

Yeah I don't know why I keep trying because every time I try to use it I just hate and shake my head at certain things like certain apps still on Android don't have fingerprint authentication like they do on iOS even some of googles own apps like Wallet and Drive plus there's still apps that dont utilize Android pay in the apps like Starbucks or Etsy but on iOS they use  Pay. Things like that are annoying oh also none of my cards were compatible with Samsung Pay and only two out of my 5 cards are Android Pay compatible.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed this happening for years being on these forums. People come here, post about how they either are tired of Apple and want more control over their device or just want to try something new, then they come back, like, right away.

In my case it's not a matter of being tired of Apple, but probably a little bit of the control and wanting to try something new. I like tech. I appreciate what Apple does and I also appreciate the android OS and what Samsung, LG, Motorola and the many others do with it. I used to have a little more time to play around with this stuff. Now I just need it to work and I want to be able to easily communicate with family, friends and clients. Right now that means using an iPhone.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You've never been sad faced by a six year old with an iPad that wants to FaceTime you while you're living five hours away for six months

We were at Target this weekend and my kids were admiring the S8. I asked if they would consider switching. You would have thought I asked them to eat a turd. It was a very quick NO! Then they immediately asked me to please not switch again. Lol.

I also FaceTime with my daughter that is away at college. I couldn't give that up.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll take the device that is more Future Proof and that appears to be the iPhone 7 at this point. I don't care about "customization" etc or things like that.

To each their own eh

Per future proof, I'd take an Android that I can root as the best example... but I am a tinkerer.

I skipped the current iPhone and will probably skip the S8 (unless I get to keep a review unit; Samsung can be generous).

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
In my case it's not a matter of being tired of Apple, but probably a little bit of the control and wanting to try something new. I like tech. I appreciate what Apple does and I also appreciate the android OS and what Samsung, LG, Motorola and the many others do with it. I used to have a little more time to play around with this stuff. Now I just need it to work and I want to be able to easily communicate with family, friends and clients. Right now that means using an iPhone.

I can respect that; makes sense.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't reach the damn fingerprint sensor comfortably. I tried for three days. The major thing that made me return the S8+ was my young daughter and her refusal to learn a new contact method besides FaceTime

Big reason why I went s8. But I rarely use it to unlock it anyways. Mostly just use face recognition. I only use the finger scanner if face recognition fails.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So out of the 3-4 people that posted about getting an s8 or plus all returned it. Pretty interesting

All? Not me. I'm keeping mine. I absolutely love it. But you have to remember. Most people here who tried it are hard core iOS people. Nothing wrong with them trying it but iOS is home to them. Me on the other hand I have been an iOS user since iPhone 3G. But I've also had every Samsung since S5. So for me iOS has my heart but I love using other platforms too.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
All? Not me. I'm keeping mine. I absolutely love it. But you have to remember. Most people here who tried it are hard core iOS people. Nothing wrong with them trying it but iOS is home to them. Me on the other hand I have been an iOS user since iPhone 3G. But I've also had every Samsung since S5. So for me iOS has my heart but I love using other platforms too.

Actually the 3-4 people I'm referring to have been using iOS and Android for a while I have seen them over in both the android central forums and imore. I've used both for years, and I'm back on iOS. Some people like switching around.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Actually the 3-4 people I'm referring to have been using iOS and Android for a while I have seen them over in both the android central forums and imore. I've used both for years, and I'm back on iOS. Some people like switching around.

I was just as surprised as you were when I switched back to Apple . I didn't realize when I said I still needed a break from Android that I really meant it. Usually when I switch I spend a few days longing for the other platform or leave it sitting around my house until day 14 of the return policy but this one went back without a hitch on day 3.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I was just as surprised as you were when I switched back to Apple . I didn't realize when I said I still needed a break from Android that I really meant it. Usually when I switch I spend a few days longing for the other platform or leave it sitting around my house until day 14 of the return policy but this one went back without a hitch on day 3.

It really is a breath of fresh air using iOS. Yes, I like how notifications are handled better on android, but I am getting used to the learning curve.

Whenever I have an android device I always feel like I have to get the newest one out or try a different one. There are so many to choose from. I got a s7, then s7 edge, then tried the one plus 3, got the pixel XL and then went to the regular pixel. I got obsessive and always thinking I had to change my home screen and try different widgets. I had to sit back and ask myself what I use a cell phone for. We used to just be able to make calls on a flip phone and text message in T9. Now, it has gotten so out of control that we are carrying out mini computers that we barely even use to make actual phone calls on! Cell phones are now the face of picture taking and social media, it's crazy.

I use my phone for the internet, to make calls, take pictures and to send texts and videos to family/friends. I can do all of that on the iphone and it is simple and fluid. I am not worried what icon is where, what is draining my battery on a given day, which zooper widget I should replace on my homescreen, etc. Wireless charging was nice because I always had to charge my phone, with the iphone I am not even complaining about not having wireless charging because I never need to charge it during the day! I plug it in at night and done.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
It really is a breath of fresh air using iOS. Yes, I like how notifications are handled better on android, but I am getting used to the learning curve.

Whenever I have an android device I always feel like I have to get the newest one out or try a different one. There are so many to choose from. I got a s7, then s7 edge, then tried the one plus 3, got the pixel XL and then went to the regular pixel. I got obsessive and always thinking I had to change my home screen and try different widgets. I had to sit back and ask myself what I use a cell phone for. We used to just be able to make calls on a flip phone and text message in T9. Now, it has gotten so out of control that we are carrying out mini computers that we barely even use to make actual phone calls on! Cell phones are now the face of picture taking and social media, it's crazy.

I use my phone for the internet, to make calls, take pictures and to send texts and videos to family/friends. I can do all of that on the iphone and it is simple and fluid. I am not worried what icon is where, what is draining my battery on a given day, which zooper widget I should replace on my homescreen, etc. Wireless charging was nice because I always had to charge my phone, with the iphone I am not even complaining about not having wireless charging because I never need to charge it during the day! I plug it in at night and done.

I think that's one of the major things that has made my decision is I just want to surf the internet and FaceTime my kids and check my email and text. Oh yeah, and take and hoard pictures until the end of time. I don't need much to make me happy anymore.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I think that's one of the major things that has made my decision is I just want to surf the internet and FaceTime my kids and check my email and text. Oh yeah, and take and hoard pictures until the end of time. I don't need much to make me happy anymore.

exactly! No to mention I just connected my gear s2 classic and it works really well. I can't respond to texts, but I didn't respond from my watch much anyway unless I really needed to. Nice to know I can use something other than an apple watch.

My one gripe so far is the alarm app. There is no volume adjustment for the alarm sound, it is whatever you have your ringer volume at. I like a low alarm and not to jump up in the morning. I had to activate the bedtime feature in order to control the volume and now I get notified every night when to go to bed! The third party alarm apps suck and have the worst alarm sounds.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
exactly! No to mention I just connected my gear s2 classic and it works really well. I can't respond to texts, but I didn't respond from my watch much anyway unless I really needed to. Nice to know I can use something other than an apple watch.

My one gripe so far is the alarm app. There is no volume adjustment for the alarm sound, it is whatever you have your ringer volume at. I like a low alarm and not to jump up in the morning. I had to activate the bedtime feature in order to control the volume and now I get notified every night when to go to bed! The third party alarm apps suck and have the worst alarm sounds.

Yeah. I definitely have an old flame for Google Clock.

TheRandomDealio

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I was an Android user for years. I still use an Android tablet. But when my husband used his upgrade to switch to the iPhone 5...I started noticing that I'd eventually have to do a factory reset because my phone was misbehaving but his phone was still zipping along doing what he wanted it to do. When our next upgrade rolled around...we both went iPhone 6. While I don't mind Android on my tablet as it is not the device that I use for everything...I have absolutely no desire to go back to Android for my phone.
I'm over the ridiculous lack of OS updates. Customization is fine but being able to customize every tiny lil aspect is not anywhere near as important to me as a device that works. I had very few issues with my iPhone 6 and when I did, it was usually my fault. None of my Androids survived the upgrades. By the time I would upgrade, they were basically useless. My husband's iPhone 5 survived him and my son. If we replaced the battery, it would actually probably still be usable.
I recently upgraded my 6 to the 7 Plus. I didn't need a new phone but my son did and in our house...the parents get the new phone and the kids can use the hand me downs. The battery in the 5 was on its last legs. My 17 year old was super excited and repeatedly thanked me for the "new" phone.

Sorry. Rambling.
I don't like the positioning of the fingerprint sensor on most phones. I prefer the placement on my iPhone. It works well when I need to unlock it while in the dock at my desk or in the car.
My just turned 14 year old daughter doesn't have a phone yet, but she does have an iPod that her cousin gave her. iMessage and FaceTime make it easy for her to connect with us without requiring that we download an app that would only be used for her.
The way Family Sharing is implemented in iOS also makes my life easier. I have control over what the kids download and we can share paid apps and such. We can use Apple Music and not have to worry about spending for multiple individual accounts while also not having to share a single music library. We all have access to the music we like. While we do listen to some of the same things...my teens have very different taste in music.
So far using restrictions on my daughter's iPod has been much simpler than using a restricted profile on the Android tablet my 4 year old uses.

There ARE a few things about Android that I miss but not enough for me to go back.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site

I have owned all Galaxy S phones and Note - even got the Note 7 some weeks before the battery failure. Also had all iPhones since the 3Gs. No phone can bring me the satisfaction an iPhone provides. Owned almost every flagship Android released - they feel great some days or maybe weeks. Then the small annoying things with Android phones start to show their ugly face and I can't stand them as my daily driver anymore :)

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have owned all Galaxy S phones and Note - even got the Note 7 some weeks before the battery failure. Also had all iPhones since the 3Gs. No phone can't get me the satisfaction an iPhone can bring. Owned almost every flagship Android released - they feel great some days or maybe weeks. Then the small annoying things with Android phones start to show their ugly face and I can't stand them as my daily driver anymore :)

I agree with this, with the exception of the Nexus 5 and 6P. I think the base android experience since 5.0 has been great, it's now at 7.0 much more refined. Why I came back to iPhone (last was 5S and only for 3 months), it wasn't the hardware of android devices as we can see with S8 is very sleek/futuristic but the overall package iPhone 7+ offers.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have swapped a few times but:

iMessage iPhone/iPad/iMac
Facetime
Find iPhone
Photostream
iCloud
iBooks
Apple Music
Family sharing
Safari
Mail
Syncing between iMac/ipad
Apple watch
256GB on board
Customer Service
TID works
Back ups
Airplay

And whatever people want to say about iTunes i like it and works well.

richxps

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I couldn't reach the damn fingerprint sensor comfortably. I tried for three days. The major thing that made me return the S8+ was my young daughter and her refusal to learn a new contact method besides FaceTime

Wow same issue here my kids only know iMessage so for me to use android they would need skype for me and iMessage for everyone else in the family, way to mctoo h for the young ones so I'll be sticking with my 7 and 7 plus.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77