iPhone 7 Plus or Galaxy S8+?

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I also prefer the look of both the S8 and Gear S3 over the iPhone and Apple Watch 2. But using them don't come close to the look of them. The software is no way near the quality and integration that iOS has.
Oddly enough I prefer my Apple watch (I still have the original that works beautifully still) to the gear s2. I feel AW tracks my fitness better. I wear the Apple watch to the gym. I haven't carried my iPhone out of the house though since i got my s8 plus though. The Apple watch is a glorified fitbit at the moment.

I went back to wearing my nice movado watch when I'm out or at work. The gear s2 is ok but I prefer the Apple watch to it. And like I said right now I prefer my movado and my galaxy s8plus combo

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You guys make me want to get this now

I wouldn’t. The only thing reliable I’ve ever experienced with a Samsung phone (from my Vibrant to my S7) was hardware failure and disappointment.

Never again. I gave them 5 tries. They make pretty phones...until...

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
At least you know what you like. It makes the phone choice a lot easier. The 7 and 7 Plus are both very good phones. Can't go wrong with them for sure. As much as I'm enjoying the S8, I still love my 7 Plus too.

I had a feeling you were gonna give in and get it! Ha. I did too, but as I wrote above, I returned it as I just can't use Android anymore. iOS is so much "tuned to perfection" with how it works amongst all of my Apple devices. I did like the S8's hardware, as I always do with Samsung, but I couldn't do it.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I had a feeling you were gonna give in and get it! Ha. I did too, but as I wrote above, I returned it as I just can't use Android anymore. iOS is so much "tuned to perfection" with how it works amongst all of my Apple devices. I did like the S8's hardware, as I always do with Samsung, but I couldn't do it.

Lol. I still have my S8 and gear s3. I am switching back to my iPhone and Apple Watch to compare again. I'm really trying to figure out what side of this fence I belong on. I had a very good feeling using the S8/Gear 3 combo for the last couple weeks. Now that the new feeling has passed I want to compare it to the 7 Plus/ AW2 combo.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Lol. I still have my S8 and gear s3. I am switching back to my iPhone and Apple Watch to compare again. I'm really trying to figure out what side of this fence I belong on. I had a very good feeling using the S8/Gear 3 combo for the last couple weeks. Now that the new feeling has passed I want to compare it to the 7 Plus/ AW2 combo.

Hopefully you don't drive yourself too crazy! I wasn't sleeping at night when I had to compare my pixel and s7 edge at the time I was on android

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully you don't drive yourself too crazy! I wasn't sleeping at night when I had to compare my pixel and s7 edge at the time I was on android

Thank you. I appreciate that. I've been there. I won't do that anymore. As much as I like the S8+ and the Gear S3 I know where I'm going to end up long term. I have mentioned before that I can argue to go either way, but at the end of the day it's just so much easier to be on iOS with my family. It just is.

The other twist is that I stopped at Best Buy yesterday and played with the iPad Pro for the first time. I absolutely fell in love and that is before adding in iOS 11. I have not had an iPad since the iPad 3. What a difference! So it looks like I may be diving a little deeper down the Apple rabbit hole making it even harder to leave.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. I appreciate that. I've been there. I won't do that anymore. As much as I like the S8+ and the Gear S3 I know where I'm going to end up long term. I have mentioned before that I can argue to go either way, but at the end of the day it's just so much easier to be on iOS with my family. It just is.

The other twist is that I stopped at Best Buy yesterday and played with the iPad Pro for the first time. I absolutely fell in love and that is before adding in iOS 11. I have not had an iPad since the iPad 3. What a difference! So it looks like I may be diving a little deeper down the Apple rabbit hole making it even harder to leave.

It's pretty wild the loyalty apple has created for themselves when it comes to their customers. I have an iPad Air 2 that my son took over. I sold my MacBook and got an iMac 5k 27" for my upstairs office. Having the iPad and MacBook was a little redundant for me and now that my son uses my iPad I find no real need to ever grab it since my 7 plus can handle majority of what I would do on the iPad. I have never really tried using the iPad as a laptop but don't really see the need for it. I'm sure it's really cool though. I'm a graphic designer so I tend to need a real computer when it comes to using Adobe creative suite.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn’t. The only thing reliable I’ve ever experienced with a Samsung phone (from my Vibrant to my S7) was hardware failure and disappointment.

No issues yet, battery life is definitely a winner on this side thus far - 6hrs 20 mins screen on time and battery at 54%

Build quality is really nice, seems smooth thus far

It's a learning experience so far and until I get accustomed then I can form a better opinion. I still have my iDevice, but fiddling more with the S8 plus

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I completely understand getting lost in the ecosystem. The one thing that keeps me from being 110% in on iOS is that my wife HATES it. She refuses to use anything but Android. Actually just got her a KeyONE. I really wanted a 10.5 Pro, however, I'm not sure I'll use it enough to make it worth the $grand$ it'll end up costing me. And then today I wake up and see that Samsung is offering $200 off the S8 for any phone trade in. I have an Honor 5X that my daughter used for awhile. It's maybe worth $75 online. But using it, I could get an unlocked brand new S8 for $425. That's tough to pass up for now. I would basically be out the price of the iPad for an S8 and Chromebook Pro. So I'm actually now really torn. Figure I can rock the Samsung world until I actually see the new Android and Apple gear this fall.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I completely understand getting lost in the ecosystem. The one thing that keeps me from being 110% in on iOS is that my wife HATES it. She refuses to use anything but Android. Actually just got her a KeyONE. I really wanted a 10.5 Pro, however, I'm not sure I'll use it enough to make it worth the $grand$ it'll end up costing me. And then today I wake up and see that Samsung is offering $200 off the S8 for any phone trade in. I have an Honor 5X that my daughter used for awhile. It's maybe worth $75 online. But using it, I could get an unlocked brand new S8 for $425. That's tough to pass up for now. I would basically be out the price of the iPad for an S8 and Chromebook Pro. So I'm actually now really torn. Figure I can rock the Samsung world until I actually see the new Android and Apple gear this fall.

Good luck. It's tough. You have the opposite problem that I have. I don't think my wife would ever leave her iPhone. She doesn't use any other Apple products, but anytime she has started to entertain something other than the iPhone, she quickly retreats to where she is comfortable. I can't fault her for that at all. I will probably hang on the my S8+ for a little while at least. Just like I couldn't part with the 7 Plus, I would struggle to part with the S8+ as well.

I do need a new laptop as well so if I end up going MacBook, then that may be enough to lock me in. I want that iPad Pro too, but I'll have to pick the MacBook first probably.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Great plan

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Oddly enough I prefer my Apple watch (I still have the original that works beautifully still) to the gear s2. I feel AW tracks my fitness better. I wear the Apple watch to the gym. I haven't carried my iPhone out of the house though since i got my s8 plus though. The Apple watch is a glorified fitbit at the moment.

I went back to wearing my nice movado watch when I'm out or at work. The gear s2 is ok but I prefer the Apple watch to it. And like I said right now I prefer my movado and my galaxy s8plus combo
I stopped wearing my Apple Watch Series 2 Nike+ after less than a month. I went back to my Breitling and a Fitbit when I exercise.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Good luck. It's tough. You have the opposite problem that I have. I don't think my wife would ever leave her iPhone. She doesn't use any other Apple products, but anytime she has started to entertain something other than the iPhone, she quickly retreats to where she is comfortable. I can't fault her for that at all. I will probably hang on the my S8+ for a little while at least. Just like I couldn't part with the 7 Plus, I would struggle to part with the S8+ as well.

I do need a new laptop as well so if I end up going MacBook, then that may be enough to lock me in. I want that iPad Pro too, but I'll have to pick the MacBook first probably.

I really like my iPhone, but I also don't think it's wise for me to buy a 7 or 7 Plus right now unless I found a great deal on one. I know I'll want something that's coming out in the fall, like the Pixel 2, Note 8, or iPhone 8/X/whatever it will be. The deal on the S8 is just too good to pass up. I know I can use it for a few months and see what's coming down the pipe. If I hate it after a few months, then I'll know that iOS is the way to go, and I'll have to come to terms with just forking out the initial investment money. But with that deal, I'm saving roughly $1k by going with the S8 and Chromebook Pro over an iPhone 7/7 Plus and 10.5 iPad Pro, and still get some top notch products. And like I said, not like I'll be stuck with stuff forever - I can always come crawling back in a couple of months. But I'm going to force myself to use it. That's what I did when I got my 6s Plus, and it worked out for the most part.

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Just a heads up everyone. The otterbox defender does not work well (if at all) with wireless charging. It's too thick. It's hit and miss with my new wireless charging pad that's a convertible so I had the option of laying the phone flat on it. It would connect then disconnect within a minute or two. So if wireless charging is important then I can't say the defender works. It didn't for me. Super sad because it was a wonderful feeling Case but wireless charging is important to me so I ditched it today

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Darn, that's a shame; however still coming templating if wireless charging is a must have if getting this case

anon(9490796)

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
Darn, that's a shame; however still coming templating if wireless charging is a must have if getting this case

Not being able to wireless charge is a deal breaker for me. Like I said it was a struggle to find the sweet spot and it was more likely to disconnect. It was also slower when charging and would tend to stop altogether without notice. So yeah i parted ways with the defender. I was at Best Buy yesterday and the mobile representative told me wireless charging was not working with the defender even though otterbox claims it does.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I'm not even here to bash Samsung, but this has been my experience in the past using their phones. They make great phones, they're great for a while, but then after a while something just goes wrong. Especially with their software. Just not a long term solution.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods