Buying a new Verizon iPhone( newbie ) plz help

stsullivan

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Good morning I'm looking forward to buying my first Iphone 7plus and I have a question I'm currently with Verizon if I buy the iPhone through Verizon and I pay it off will that allowed me to leave Verizon and use AT&T or wherever I want to use it or is it locked only to Verizon? Thanks for all your help I hope all have a wonderful day I'm really really looking forward to getting my new iPhone next week I've been with android for my whole life. :biggrin:

Last edited:

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Find a new Verizon iPhone( newbie ) plz help

It will allow you to use it with AT&T. But if you plan to buy the phone outright, you might as well get it from the Apple Store.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Find a new Verizon iPhone( newbie ) plz help

All Verizon LTE devices are unlocked.

But if your plan is to pay it off and leave for AT&T, following the advice above makes the most sense.

stsullivan

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
I guess the main reason for me to do it through Verizon is still owe a little bit on my Samsung 7S edge so I'll need to pay it off I've only had it for eight months then I will switch to the iPhone and then turn around and pay it off in a couple months I want to maybe Try doing prepaid I have always use Verizon just wanted to see how that worked and see if it's the still the same coverage etc.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

It will allow you to use it with AT&T. But if you plan to buy the phone outright, you might as well get it from the Apple Store.

Does Apple no longer make separate devices for Verizon vs AT&T?

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site

Does Apple no longer make separate devices for Verizon vs AT&T?

Since the Verizon and Sprint devices still need CDMA antennas, they need to sell those as the unlocked ones so they are compatible. The AT&T and T-Mobile devices do not include that antenna.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

Since the Verizon and Sprint devices still need CDMA antennas, they need to sell those as the unlocked ones so they are compatible. The AT&T and T-Mobile devices do not include that antenna.

So Apple still does make separate devices for VZW/Sprint vs AT&T/TMob. That being the case, a phone for VZW will not work properly on AT&T. Not until VZW completely abandons CDMA

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

So Apple still does make separate devices for VZW/Sprint vs AT&T/TMob. That being the case, a phone for VZW will not work properly on AT&T. Not until VZW completely abandons CDMA

No, because the Verizon iPhone comes unlocked and it has all the bands needed to work world wide, to include AT&T. I'm taking mine to Australia in two weeks and I made sure it would work there. It does.

jamstar35

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site

Any recent (iPhone 5s and later) Verizon LTE device is unlocked out of the box as a result of a stipulation the FCC put into place when they purchased the 700mhz spectrum a few years ago. I have personally activated more than my share of Verizon iPhones and Android devices on AT&T for other people.

stsullivan

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site

Wow I didn't realize you could do that I have been with android my whole life so what if somebody got a Verizon phone and it wasn't paid for I could still take it over and use it on AT&T? I'm really learning a lot over here I'm getting my new iPhone 7 Plus next week and looking forward to it and thanks a lot for all the help looking forward to hearing more.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Verizon/Sprint iPhone 7/7 Plus units will work on all carriers. AT&T/T-Mobile units will not as they don't have the compatible CMDA antennas to work on Verizon/Sprint networks, if I recall correctly. So personally, I'd get my phone from the Verizon store. Then you've got the device that will work for you for now, and it will also work should you decide to leave Verizon for another carrier.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

It will work. Basically they make the VZW/Sprint version have CDMA radios in addition to the same GSM radios that are in the AT&T/T-Mobile variant, therefore, it works perfectly. It basically just has the extra CDMA radios that are only used if using the appropriate carrier (VZW or Sprint) otherwise it uses the GSM Radios. Back when the iPhone 6 Plus was out I bought the VZW one from the Apple Store, booted it up, and slapped in my T-Mobile SIM. I had full LTE and WiFi calling without any issues.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Wow I didn't realize you could do that I have been with android my whole life so what if somebody got a Verizon phone and it wasn't paid for I could still take it over and use it on AT&T? I'm really learning a lot over here I'm getting my new iPhone 7 Plus next week and looking forward to it and thanks a lot for all the help looking forward to hearing more.

What do you mean not paid for? The phone has to be paid for .. If you just got it from VZW and ditched without paying the phone would get blacklisted on all networks. You always have to pay for your toys :).

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

If someone "got a Verizon phone and it wasn't paid for" (meaning paid off completely), they could still use it on AT&T. They would still be required to finish paying Verizon for the device. But it doesn't need to be active on Verizon while they do that. If they default on paying for the device, Verizon would blacklist the device. Carriers in the US share blacklist information so at that point, it would not be able to be used on AT&T or any other US carrier until the blacklisting was removed by Verizon.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site

It will work. Basically they make the VZW/Sprint version have CDMA radios in addition to the same GSM radios that are in the AT&T/T-Mobile variant, therefore, it works perfectly. It basically just has the extra CDMA radios that are only used if using the appropriate carrier (VZW or Sprint) otherwise it uses the GSM Radios. Back when the iPhone 6 Plus was out I bought the VZW one from the Apple Store, booted it up, and slapped in my T-Mobile SIM. I had full LTE and WiFi calling without any issues.

I'm still relatively new to iPhone. Do carriers install bloatware on them like Androids? That's why I started buying unlocked. When I went to iPhone, I went to the Apple Store to get mine. On the website when I ordered, they gave me the choice of which carrier, or to go unlocked.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm still relatively new to iPhone. Do carriers install bloatware on them like Androids? That's why I started buying unlocked. When I went to iPhone, I went to the Apple Store to get mine. On the website when I ordered, they gave me the choice of which carrier, or to go unlocked.

Nope -- no bloatware. The only apps are Apple apps. After that it is up to you if you want to download the carrier stuff (like the "My Account" apps).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2