Slow Email notifications?

moontune

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I wonder is someone here can help a little. I was always a Blackberry guy and it took me a long time to change over to Apple. I have had an Apple 6s now for a while and its ok.
My question is that I have to get emails fast and respond quickly through work and I find my phone is slow. I am with Telus but find other phones seem to be quicker. Any suggestions will be much appreciated before I switch phones again? Thanks

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Does your email service support push notifications? If so, do you have it set up? If not, you can decrease the time increment used to fetch new email. These settings can both be adjusted under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data.

moontune

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I tried doing that and the emails still come in slow. Thanks for your help.I need to get email through work very quickly and the 6s is very slow.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I tried doing that and the emails still come in slow. Thanks for your help.I need to get email through work very quickly and the 6s is very slow.

Email totally depends on how fast the email server is and not the computer or device receiving the email. It can take 30 minutes or even longer for emails to go through depending on a whole variety of Internet conditions. Email isn't an instant message.

Last edited:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Does it make a difference weather your on WiFi or not? It's going to depend on how decent the connection is between your phone and the mail server. Perhaps there is someone in your office who also has the 6s. You can compare mail settings between your phone and theirs.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If it's fetch, do you have it set to every 15 minutes? Gmail is fetch.
a5319bcadcdddf6a6ba8e1b6a290f733.jpg

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
It depends on which email client you are using. Ever since Google dropped its synchronization with Apple email a few (or more?) years ago, the only way to get gmail in push is to jailbreak your phone. As Ledsteplin is posting, if you are using gmail, the Apple mail only "fetch" it (takes time), not push (instant) it.
Otherwise, I experiment quite a number of email apps, and right now, and surprisingly, Outlook gives me a consistent and reliable push notification.
I never thought in million years I would use Outlook, but it does work very well for iPhone.
Other email clients with push notification, such as Boxer, Spark and many others work well in my experience.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm confused. My phone is not jailbroken, but when I send myself emails on my PC from Gmail, they show up instantly on my iPhone.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused. My phone is not jailbroken, but when I send myself emails on my PC from Gmail, they show up instantly on my iPhone.

Are you using the Gmail app? Gmail will still push to their own app but they've long abandoned push to the stock Mail app. There was a workaround for a while but they closed that loophole a while back.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Oh, sorry to have confused you. I was talking in terms of "Apple Mail" client not pushing gmails. I mentioned jailbreaking as it is one of the few, if not the only, ways to get gmails pushed in Apple Mail.
Most other mail clients push most of mails, including gmail, just fine.

And I was not quite sure what specifically the OP was complaining about, be it a slow push compared with others, or he was only "fetching" whatever kind of mail he is using.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Oh, sorry to have confused you. I was talking in terms of "Apple Mail" client not pushing gmails. I mentioned jailbreaking as it is one of the few, if not the only, ways to get gmails pushed in Apple Mail.
Most other mail clients push most of mails, including gmail, just fine.

And I was not quite sure what specifically the OP was complaining about, be it a slow push compared with others, or he was only "fetching" whatever kind of mail he is using.

When you say Apple mail... do you mean the default mail app that comes with the iPhone?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Are you using the Gmail app? Gmail will still push to their own app but they've long abandoned push to the stock Mail app. There was a workaround for a while but they closed that loophole a while back.

I'm using the default email app that came with the phone. I've tried tons of others but I just don't like them as much (plus I can't set up my "You've Got Mail" sound lol).

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
When you say Apple mail... do you mean the default mail app that comes with the iPhone?

Yes.

I used to like it. It also accommodates system font size change...
But when it no longer pushes gmail, I had to use other mail client (or jail break, which is "Push for Gmail" that worked very well).
A few workarounds are available but I decided to use other programs. Another reason I left the default Apple Mail app was no quick access to All Mail, or Archives. It only save a few nano seconds but.... :)

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes.

I used to like it. It also accommodates system font size change...
But when it no longer pushes gmail, I had to use other mail client (or jail break, which is "Push for Gmail" that worked very well).
A few workarounds are available but I decided to use other programs. Another reason I left the default Apple Mail app was no quick access to All Mail, or Archives. It only save a few nano seconds but.... :)

I'm using the default mail app, and have all of my gmail accounts added to it. My emails come in right away. Today for example, I had to add a new credit card to about 8 different places. With each site right after the change my phone's mail tone would say "You've Got Mail!". My 6s is stock, never been jailbroken.

I wonder if I inadvertently did the work-around, without knowing it was a work-around?

Doubt it makes a difference, but I've had my original gmail account since it was in beta and invite only.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the default mail app, and have all of my gmail accounts added to it. My emails come in right away. Today for example, I had to add a new credit card to about 8 different places. With each site right after the change my phone's mail tone would say "You've Got Mail!". My 6s is stock, never been jailbroken.

I wonder if I inadvertently did the work-around, without knowing it was a work-around?

Doubt it makes a difference, but I've had my original gmail account since it was in beta and invite only.

Hm, that's new to me, but I also have been wrong many times in the past.
I have been using gmail, among others, since its incarnation and cannot simply change it (i.e., got stuck with it :).
The default iOS Mail app says that gmails are fetched, not pushed, and that's been my understanding in the last several years. The shortest time you can set for gmail fetch is 15 minutes. If in practice, the app would fetch it almost instantly, then I might revert back to the default Mail app, but I do not think so.
Or, are you talking about the desktop Mail app all along?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Hm, that's new to me, but I also have been wrong many times in the past.
I have been using gmail, among others, since its incarnation and cannot simply change it (i.e., got stuck with it :).
The default iOS Mail app says that gmails are fetched, not pushed, and that's been my understanding in the last several years. The shortest time you can set for gmail fetch is 15 minutes. If in practice, the app would fetch it almost instantly, then I might revert back to the default Mail app, but I do not think so.
Or, are you talking about the desktop Mail app all along?

The iPhone mail app (my gaming/business PC is Windows). The top one is set to Push, but next to all of the gmail accounts it says Fetch. Looks like I have it set to Hourly.

I remember in the beginning when I got the phone I set up Outlook mail and set up the gmail pop settings somewhere in the phone's settings. I would imagine that's still there even though I uninstalled Outlook mail. Would that make a difference?

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I would imagine that's still there even though I uninstalled Outlook mail. Would that make a difference?

No, I do not think so, if you remove the app entirely.
But you might be getting the push notification for some other apps (such as gmail etc) that you installed, and unknowingly left it toggled on in the notification setting. You can usually tell which program is pulling emails by looking at small icon in the notification.
There are many email client apps for iOS that push mails superbly, but I found most, if not all, of them show very tiny font. Outlook displays messages in quite readable font size even though I do not think it's tied to the Apple's system font.

Mystery deepens, LOL

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77