Why, oh why, is my podcast app draining the battery?

benji888578

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
why, oh why, is podcast app draining battery????

so, I thought playing audio was supposed to be one of the least battery drains, but, turns out podcast app uses more battery than GPS!!!???

see pics

(I will be calling apple this week)

IMG_5482.jpgIMG_5483.jpgIMG_5484.jpg

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: why, oh why, is podcast app draining battery????

I see only 2 bars in your first screenshot and only 3 bars in your third screenshot. Are you in an area with poor signal? That will drain the battery quickly.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

Also are you streaming the podcast or download them and then listen? The download can take a quick chunk of the battery but the streaming shouldn't kill it. Played one in bed that I downloaded last week and for 15 minutes I lost 1%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Broad

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

It could just be that the podcast app is rubbish (likely).

Although i've had a user of my podcast app contact me with unusually high battery usage, so something might be amiss in iOS9's audio chain occasionally. I advised a reboot.

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I listen to downloaded podcast for about 8 hrs a night and my battery only drains about12%. I start with full battery and leave work with at least 85%. I also search the web on my break. You could try to reboot the phone

benji888578

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I see only 2 bars in your first screenshot and only 3 bars in your third screenshot. Are you in an area with poor signal? That will drain the battery quickly.
Are you looking at the pics? In the first pic I had been using Maps and Podcast app equally.

I am listening while driving for work, so the bars are always going up and down.

Also, I do not notice battery drain for the signal unless the signal is 1 bar or fringe with 1 bar or no service alternating. (I can easily tell as the phone gets warm also.)
Also are you streaming the podcast or download them and then listen? The download can take a quick chunk of the battery but the streaming shouldn't kill it. Played one in bed that I downloaded last week and for 15 minutes I lost 1%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Downloaded. I sync manually via iTunes. I used to do this to save my MBs, but, I just prefer to have them in the phone. I stream most of my music.
Maps is 33%. It could be that if you're using GPS location a lot.
Maps is 33%...yes, and Podcasts is 55%! Never would have guessed podcasts, which does not use GPS, would use more energy than a GPS app! (Podcast app should not be using GPS.)

As far as rebooting goes, I do this on a regular basis, including every time I sync (I sync via iTunes).

My question is valid, I was wondering why my battery was draining so fast, so decided to check out the battery status, which I hadn't done...I was shocked at what I saw in the pics above and surprised no one else seems to be.

However, I will have to see how it goes with iOS 9.1. My usage varies, so, I haven't had a chance to check it out w/9.1 yet. I will report again sometime next week.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you looking at the pics? In the first pic I had been using Maps and Podcast app equally.

I am listening while driving for work, so the bars are always going up and down.

Also, I do not notice battery drain for the signal unless the signal is 1 bar or fringe with 1 bar or no service alternating. (I can easily tell as the phone gets warm also.)

Downloaded. I sync manually via iTunes. I used to do this to save my MBs, but, I just prefer to have them in the phone. I stream most of my music.

Maps is 33%...yes, and Podcasts is 55%! Never would have guessed podcasts, which does not use GPS, would use more energy than a GPS app! (Podcast app should not be using GPS.)

As far as rebooting goes, I do this on a regular basis, including every time I sync (I sync via iTunes).

My question is valid, I was wondering why my battery was draining so fast, so decided to check out the battery status, which I hadn't done...I was shocked at what I saw in the pics above and surprised no one else seems to be.

However, I will have to see how it goes with iOS 9.1. My usage varies, so, I haven't had a chance to check it out w/9.1 yet. I will report again sometime next week.

A high % may just mean you used it a lot. It's not necessarily a battery hog.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

so, I thought playing audio was supposed to be one of the least battery drains, but, turns out podcast app uses more battery than GPS!!!???

I'm not really sure about why, but have you considered using a third party app instead? I have used Overcast and Downcast quite a bit, and both are great with battery while listening. (Overcast is currently using 7% of my battery over the last 24 hours, with 1 minute on screen and 1.4 hours background.) If you listen to podcasts on iOS only, Overcast I think is the best podcatcher, it's absolutely free to download and use (there is a patronage in-app payment if you want to support the developer, but it's not required.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2