Android User contemplating Iphone

shoaib shah

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

To put it short I have been a Android hardcore user for more than 6 years now. Had a brief moment with Windows Phone. I am open minded person and always like trying new things.

Apple traditionally have always put me off because of their ridiculous pricing on phones and somewhat limited features in past models. I can see that the gap between iOS and Android has tightened and not much difference of which is better than the over (that is stock Android over iOS).

I am finally thinking of trying out IPhone for my next upgrade.

What would convince me if any real life users of IPhone tell me why they feel iOS is the better operating system at the moment.

I would appreciate detail and technical analysis as moving to Apple would be a massive thing for me. I don't want to regret making a bad move.

Thanks in advance.

P. S ex Android phone users views would also be much appreciated.

😁

Posted via the iMore App for Android

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I came from note 2 and android when the iPhone 6 Plus came out and I love it. My wife and I have gone all apple as well. She has iPhone 6s, MacBook Pro and iPad mini 2. I have the new MacBook. I like how my devices are synced as they work well together. I get phone calls on my MacBook when doing stuff and text messages. And all the pictures and videos on my iPhone are synced( with iTunes library) to my MacBook. I do not regret my move from android and pc. Apple is a little more expensive than most other brands but I usually like to get nicer/ top of the line electronics anyways and they are still expensive. Good luck with your choice.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Switch. It'll be the best decision of your life.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

flybub

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't say I'm fully in all things Apple but I do have an iPhone 6 Plus and a retina MacBook Pro. I am a Google user though and that is important to me because I use it for work. I will not use iCloud because of the price of storage and it's not cross platform. I have to use Windows at work, but at home I use my Mac so I am pretty well entrenched in Google. Google Music, Google Photos, Google Drive, Google Keep is now on iOS, Google Sheets & Docs, and GMail. I use them all from my phone. The biggest things I miss are third party sharing, dropping files on my phone from my computer, and ability to set default apps. It was nice having a file system on my phone and be able to share a file (pdf, word doc., spreadsheet) to any app. I used AirDroid so I never had to connect a cable from my phone to computer. These things will probably lead me back to Android for my next upgrade, but time will tell.

Touch ID is awesome and will be even better once Apple starts integrating it more into the OS and apps. There is no equivalent to continuity between iPhone, Mac, and iPad. Quality of apps on the App Store is untouchable (but there is no Android Central App). However, there is that iTunes software, yuck. Yes the iPhone is very well built and the OS flows like water, but there are always compromises. You just have to decide what you're willing to compromise.

Iamthat_dude

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

To put it short I have been a Android hardcore user for more than 6 years now. Had a brief moment with Windows Phone. I am open minded person and always like trying new things.

Apple traditionally have always put me off because of their ridiculous pricing on phones and somewhat limited features in past models. I can see that the gap between iOS and Android has tightened and not much difference of which is better than the over (that is stock Android over iOS).

I am finally thinking of trying out IPhone for my next upgrade.

What would convince me if any real life users of IPhone tell me why they feel iOS is the better operating system at the moment.

I would appreciate detail and technical analysis as moving to Apple would be a massive thing for me. I don't want to regret making a bad move.

Thanks in advance.

P. S ex Android phone users views would also be much appreciated.

��

I haven't been on this forum in a long time but it's funny that i came across this thread. I have been using the iphone 6 for the last year after switching from a Note 4 and I am contemplating switching BACK to Android. I have enjoyed the iOS ecosystem for the last year but I still miss certain features of Android on my phone. It took me about 4 months to get used to not having a back button ,lol, I was getting the best of both worlds because I had an Android tablet but it was stolen and never got it replaced. My wife has a Samsung S6edge+ in Gold and that phone is simply stunning but the iPhone 6S+ is no slouch either. IMO, iOS/iPhones offers simplicity, ease of use, great apps, camera, smoothness and build quality. iOS 9 and the new 6S+ offers nicer cameras, 3D touch which is kinda cool and a speed bump with 2GB of RAM.

Android offers endless customization's, there really is no more lag, great apps and depending on the manufacturer excellent build quality, cameras and screens, especially on my wife's Galaxy S6edge+. Guess it really depends on what you absolutely must have and what will make you happy in the long run. I think I will pay attention to this thread because i have some thinking to do.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm also a 6 year android user who just ordered a 6s. In addition to not being happy with any android handset this year - the glass backed Galaxy 6s (didn't we learn with the iPhone 4, 4s and the Nexus 4 that glass backs are a bad idea?) and the HTC One are the only phones that are a decent size that work on my carrier (Verizon), and both have batteries that are too small. Everything else are displays that are too large for my taste.

There are things about Android that really bug me. If I plug in a set of earbuds and press play, why doesn't the last media app I was using start playing? It does with ios. My phones have all been Droid brand, mostly because they were the only ones with adequate sized batteries that got me through a day, but all of them have had very disappointing upgrade experiences. My current phone remains on KitKat fully one year after the release of Lollipop, and remains unpatched for the recent stagefright exploits with no indication when an upgrade will finally be delivered. Meanwhile my three year old iPad 3 is running ios 9.0.1 pretty well. I'm also tired of having no way of attaching my phone to peripherals by cable, when I can plug in an iPhone to any of my cars and have it work fine.

There are things about Android I'll miss - the ability to customize my launcher, choose my own default apps for mail, messaging and maps, the powerful inter-app sharing (which ios is coming close to matching), but I'm going to see if a couple of years with the iPhone works better for me. I know that the camera will be better, that's for sure, and it's great that a phone with half the size battery of my current device will get equal the battery life in a thinner, lighter phone.

I really hope that Google and the oems solve some of these shortcomings with Android, particularly the os upgrade and patching issues. Actually, that seems to be better now, but only if you have a nexus or Samsung phone, and those phone just have

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've used the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 in the past before going to the iPhone 6 and now 6S. I've switched between the two intermittently. But every time I keep coming back to iOS. It all depends on your perspective. Personally, I would never touch another android phone unless it was a nexus, but when it comes down to it, I don't like screens any bigger than the current 4.7 offering of the 6S or 6. I just like pocket ability.

In my experience the iOS system has always been quicker and smoother, regardless of what operating system the android device is on or how many cores it has. The A9 absolutely screams performance. Now, with the 3D Touch offering I think that a lot of things are about to get really interesting for iOS. To put it simply, it essentially added a "right click" that you can access using only one finger. It's pretty slick.

Battery life has always been a mixed bag. I've had a nexus 5 last for quite a while, but the iPhone 6 really impressed me with its battery capacity. Particularly with the new power save feature that apple added.

So yes, the gap is narrowing between iOS and android. But there are some stark differences. Like widgets? Those aren't accessed from your home screen. They're accessed from a pull down "today" view. The home screen is merely a place where you can quickly spring board from app to app.

But here's the big kicker. If you're heavily vested in google apps, there are a TON of Google offerings available on iOS now. So, if you go Apple then you get the best of both worlds. And while we're on apps, I felt as though you get much higher quality offerings from the iOS App Store versus the Play Store. Swift has really done some great things with the games they're offering now.

I'd say give it a shot. You always have a return period if you get cold feet. But if you have any questions about starting out then you have come to the right forums. Welcome to iMore.

shoaib shah

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes I have preferred the stock Nexus experience more than anything else on Android. I had a Galaxy nexus for nearly 2 years. The thing that eventually drove me away was the atrocious battery life.

It's also good to see that most of the core Google apps are on the Apple store.

I have 1tb of free Onedrive storage. That's good to see there's a app for that.

All my music is on Amazon music and that also covered.

What is productivity like on an iPhone like for say typing up articles. What equivalent is there to Google docs on Android or Onenote on Windows.

How good is music experience on a IPhone as one big deal breaker for me that I like my current Droid is the high quality in audio from my xperia-z2.

I will be looking at reviews on YouTube. Just wanted the real day to day experience from you guys.

Thanks again. Much appreciated

😀

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I've used the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 in the past before going to the iPhone 6 and now 6S. I've switched between the two intermittently. But every time I keep coming back to iOS. It all depends on your perspective. Personally, I would never touch another android phone unless it was a nexus, but when it comes down to it, I don't like screens any bigger than the current 4.7 offering of the 6S or 6. I just like pocket ability.

In my experience the iOS system has always been quicker and smoother, regardless of what operating system the android device is on or how many cores it has. The A9 absolutely screams performance. Now, with the 3D Touch offering I think that a lot of things are about to get really interesting for iOS. To put it simply, it essentially added a "right click" that you can access using only one finger. It's pretty slick.

Battery life has always been a mixed bag. I've had a nexus 5 last for quite a while, but the iPhone 6 really impressed me with its battery capacity. Particularly with the new power save feature that apple added.

So yes, the gap is narrowing between iOS and android. But there are some stark differences. Like widgets? Those aren't accessed from your home screen. They're accessed from a pull down "today" view. The home screen is merely a place where you can quickly spring board from app to app.

But here's the big kicker. If you're heavily vested in google apps, there are a TON of Google offerings available on iOS now. So, if you go Apple then you get the best of both worlds. And while we're on apps, I felt as though you get much higher quality offerings from the iOS App Store versus the Play Store. Swift has really done some great things with the games they're offering now.

I'd say give it a shot. You always have a return period if you get cold feet. But if you have any questions about starting out then you have come to the right forums. Welcome to iMore.

I'd argue the widgets are implemented better on iOS since they're in the NC you can pull that down from anywhere you're in the system and access those widgets unlike Android where you have to keep going back to your homescreens.

The Lannisters send their regards.

ord84

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I was a hardcore Android user since Froyo, that's how far back I can go. I just switched when the new 6s was coming out. To me the things that turned me onto Android and kept me on Android (expandable memory, google services) are now available with the full experience on the iPhone. The widgets on the android having them at a glance so far is the only thing that I miss, the Customization there's another thing, yeah it was kinda cool changing my keyboard and text on a whim, but I don't have the app crashing because the programmer on the other side made one mistake in coding nor the coding isn't that far off from the OS to make it bloated and heavy (I'm looking at you TouchWiz) and they are in the process of getting rid of removable memory. That was what led me to saying what the hell I'll give iPhone a shot.

I don't have the lag nor the redraw problems that I had on my S5, doubt I'll have any stability issues either. I actually LIKE the size of my 6S. It fits nicely in my hand with my Otterbox case and doesn't feel heavy as a brick. I can't report on battery life on it yet as I haven't fully drawn it down but soon as I can I'll update this post; but from estimating I can tell you it's not as bad as my Galxy S5 when I first got it, nor anyting else I've experienced with Android since my Droid X.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I am a former R2D2 addict and, honestly, the iPhone 6S with iOS 9 is just perfect. It is ALL I have always expected/wanted since I switched to  in the iPhone 5S era.
I really feel like I was not left in the dark anymore =)
(Yep, it even has 2 GB of RAM).
Therefore, I truly believe than an Android user would be impressed by it and how far it had came since the last 2 years.
And I could keep using ALL of my Google apps (Google Photos, G+, Hangouts, Keep, Docs and such), which is a plus too!

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Last edited:

psyclingfan

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I switched because the iPhone is already encrypted which made using my work calendar easier. I was into rooting Android and my last phone was the LG g3. I would probably still be on Android if it weren't for their poor implementation of the latest update. It created issues with the encryption.

I find that I get better search results when I use the Google Search app vs Siri. I think Android still does a much better job at file management and document management if you need to do that sort of thing on your tablet or phone.

Arguably the Android cameras are slightly better. At a minimum they offer more controls all the Apple is catching up on that. Additionally iPhones are opening up the keyboard services which Android has done for years.

Overall though I am very satisfied with my iPhone. I did update from the 6th to the success for the camera although I don't think there will be any significant photo improvement. At least noticeably. And I could certainly see myself going back to Android at some point if there was a superior product. I am on T Mobile's jump on demand

shoaib shah

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Any analysis of how the features on iOS 9 are better than on their Android counterpart.

Are there any stand out features iOS 9 offers that stand headtall above what Android offers.

psyclingfan

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Any analysis of how the features on iOS 9 are better than on their Android counterpart.

Are there any stand out features iOS 9 offers that stand headtall above what Android offers.

Nothing that I can think of. And I wish iPhone had better "quiet hours" implementation. Either in iOS or allowing third party apps.

flybub

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

I think you'll find that the iPhone is part of the ecosystem. It's a great device if you have other hardware to go with it. Other than that a phone is a phone whether it's Android or ios. Everyone is different so anything brought up will be subjective when you start talking about things that are better.

The apps on Apple devices are polished and blend in with the os. Android on the other hand can be a bit of a mess because some developers have not updated the ui to Material design.

The Today section in the iPhone pull down menu is really nice and I actually prefer it to having widgets on the home screen. But that goes back to some widgets looking like crap and do not match the rest of the os in terms of look and performance because the Dev hasn't touched it in 7 months.

If many of your contacts are on iPhone you will love imessage, especially when sending photos or video.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've used every recent smartphone platform in the last 8 years except for Windows phone. Android ( I even owned a G1 briefly as well as MANY others), BlackBerrys (the Bold 9000 had the best keyboard ever), webOS on a Pre 2, and iOS on every iPhone from the 3G to 6s. Every time I've switched back to iOS. It's just the most usable, well supported platform I think.

Seriously. I've been through the **** of things. I unlocked a BlackBerry Storm 2 and used it on AT&T. The horrors... Like I said. Ask me about any phone. I've probably bought and sold it on eBay to try it out. iOS has had me coming back every time.

shoaib shah

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I've used every recent smartphone platform in the last 8 years except for Windows phone. Android ( I even owned a G1 briefly as well as MANY others), BlackBerrys (the Bold 9000 had the best keyboard ever), webOS on a Pre 2, and iOS on every iPhone from the 3G to 6s. Every time I've switched back to iOS. It's just the most usable, well supported platform I think.

Seriously. I've been through the **** of things. I unlocked a BlackBerry Storm 2 and used it on AT&T. The horrors... Like I said. Ask me about any phone. I've probably bought and sold it on eBay to try it out. iOS has had me coming back every time.

So what things in your humble opinion should I consider if I want to make my decision coming over to the Apple iPhone.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I didn't think that I would say this, but I think that I'm done with Android. The iPhone 6S and iPad Air 2 are just too good to give up. Too good even to try another platform. I'm with iOS. All in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77