Dumb place for a power button!

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I just got an iphone 6. The 6s is too expensive. I wonder if others think the power button is in a ridiculous place. Why didn't they leave it on the top where it should be? Every time I press the power button I press the volume button because - surprise, surprise - it's on the other side in the same place as the power button. I hold the phone in one hand and when my thumb is on the power button, my fingers are the other side on the volume button. I suppose if it really drives me nuts and I can reactivate my 5C. But I do like the lighter thinner phone and the bigger screen.

My son looked at the phone and before I could say anything, he said he thought Apple paid attention to stuff like that. Now I have a two year contract so I am going to have to put up with changing the volume every time I press the power button.

What were they thinking???

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I had that problem when I first got my 6s Plus. But I've trained myself to hold the phone in a way that doesn't cause me to also press the volume button. It was frustrating, indeed, at first. I also use Assistive Touch in Accessibility to take screenshots. Triple click the home button to bring the Assistive Touch button. Triple click to make it go away. Works great and I don't need to worry about the power button. However you do it, you'll get used to it.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
If you're right handed, put either your index below the lower volume button or put it behind the phone and your middle finger below the lower volume button and your thumb on the power button and voil?! :D

You're welcome

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you're right handed, put either your index below the lower volume button or put it behind the phone and your middle finger below the lower volume button and your thumb on the power button and voil?! :D

You're welcome

I put my right hand bird finger on the top left corner and push the power button with my thumb. LOL

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I tried that Assistive touch button. Works really well. It's sort of still there but it goes light so you can't really see it. I will give that a try and all the other tips. I am still finding it a bit BIG. I can still return it but I will have to think about whether the thinnness and lightness is more of an advantage than the smallness of my 5C. And, my 5C only has 16 gb memory so I am always deleting photos. But I have about 7,000 photos in my Google Photos app!

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore Purley

I am on the the fence of a bigger device and assume I will have to go thru the same learning curve as you.

Unless I buy the soon to be released 5se

Big decision

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
With the iPhone 6 being so large I prefer the power button to be on the side. That is where the power button resides on most phones these days.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I felt the same thing when the 6 and 6 plus came out. It took me a few days, but now I am completely used to it being on the side. So much so that when I have to work on a 5s or lower I keep trying to press the side to power them off :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried that Assistive touch button. Works really well. It's sort of still there but it goes light so you can't really see it. I will give that a try and all the other tips. I am still finding it a bit BIG. I can still return it but I will have to think about whether the thinnness and lightness is more of an advantage than the smallness of my 5C. And, my 5C only has 16 gb memory so I am always deleting photos. But I have about 7,000 photos in my Google Photos app!

Go to the bottom in Accessibility and add Assistive Touch to the triple click. That way it can be removed and added back as needed. I also put "screenshot" on the first option sheet. That made it more expedient.
Like this:
1ad945194867a76f24e8d8d1cb64cdaa.jpg

Purley194

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I did that. It seems a bit "iffy" on my phone. Sometimes I have to keep pressing the home button three times. It seems like it needs a certain speed of "press press press" Sometimes the little "square" thing goes lighter and then sometimes I had to do the triple press about 10 times before the little square appeared. It seems very touchy about how quickly I press the home button. Sometimes when my press press press is not to it's liking, the screen just goes small like when you press the home button twice. I guess maybe sometimes the triple press doesn't register.

Actually, I just looked at my phone again. I turned Assistive Touch on. I looked at my settings - it was turned off. I turned it on again so it's green. I tried press press press several times. I checked my settings again - its turned off!

I think I am a bit uncoordinated!! I will just practice not holding the volume button when I turn it off. Obviously I am doing something wrong with the accessibility thing.

Thanks anyway. I will remember this in case I need it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My guess is they had to move the power button to make room for the camera sensor that's positioned directly next to where the power button used to be. With the bigger device I find that it's actually more convenient on the side anyway. As a few have already mentioned, you'll get used to it.

eSport

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I just got an iphone 6. The 6s is too expensive. I wonder if others think the power button is in a ridiculous place. Why didn't they leave it on the top where it should be? Every time I press the power button I press the volume button because - surprise, surprise - it's on the other side in the same place as the power button. I hold the phone in one hand and when my thumb is on the power button, my fingers are the other side on the volume button. I suppose if it really drives me nuts and I can reactivate my 5C. But I do like the lighter thinner phone and the bigger screen.

My son looked at the phone and before I could say anything, he said he thought Apple paid attention to stuff like that. Now I have a two year contract so I am going to have to put up with changing the volume every time I press the power button.

What were they thinking???
A month ago updated to an iPhone 6 and i too was a little frustrated with the placement of the Power button.

1-2 weeks later and when I pick up ... I have adjusted to the placement. I have come from an iP3, iP4, iP4s, iPhone 5s as well so after 8+ years of having the Power button placement up top and now to the side ... :|

Give it time, it'll work for you.

Loiselle

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I completely agree. I miss when it was on the top right of the device. I just came from a phone where the power button was on the right side, but when I got an iPhone, I instinctively went for the top right. Old habit I guess.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2