Flashing Apple Logo on Hard Reboot

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
So...I do a hard reboot on my new iPhone 12: depress & release volume up button, depress & release volume down button...then hold down side button...

It takes FOREVER on a black screen, then I get a flash of the Apple logo...then NOTHING for the longest time. Then finally, another flash of the logo...and finally a steady white Apple logo appears right before powering up.

This NEVER took this long on any of my previous iPhones, and I never got a flash of the logo before.

What’s going on? Do I need to take the phone to be reflashed with a clean OS load?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With this and the situation in your other thread, it may be beneficial if you were to start from scratch. Connect the iPhone to your computer and then restore and set up as new.

dkbllb

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don’t believe this is an isolated problem. We bought 2 12’s recently (a pro and a max) and both are hard to restart. We get that flash of the iPhone icon and then nothing. I’ve discovered that if I first plug them in, then they’ll start normally. Sure looks like a bug to me.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don’t believe this is an isolated problem. We bought 2 12’s recently (a pro and a max) and both are hard to restart. We get that flash of the iPhone icon and then nothing. I’ve discovered that if I first plug them in, then they’ll start normally. Sure looks like a bug to me.

That's what I've gathered as well. Rumor has it that when the next update is released (iOS 14.5, sometime this month), that the bug will be squashed. I have this issue, and my iPhone is working just fine.

clif0819

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
I am just curious why not shut the phone down normally, a hard reset should really only be done if the phone is inoperable, it's like driving down the road at 80 miles an hour and throwing your car into park. A normal power down should fix most issues.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I am just curious why not shut the phone down normally, a hard reset should really only be done if the phone is inoperable, it's like driving down the road at 80 miles an hour and throwing your car into park. A normal power down should fix most issues.

Hello and welcome to iMore! When you get a chance, please take a minute to familiarize yourself with iMore's Community Rules & Guidelines. Also when you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

In regards to the issue/bug that some people have been experiencing, I'm fairly certain that many have tried doing a hard reboot, and it did not fix the issue. Hopefully, the iOS update that's most likely going to be released today or tomorrow will fix it.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I had same experience. The update to 14.5 has “fixed” the issue of the momentary flash of the Apple logo on boot/reboot for me. It now works as it always had on previous devices. Hope others have the same luck.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW