iOS takes around 14gb of space on the 128gb model ?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, why is it so difficult for manufactures to achieve this ? When I buy a device that has 128GB, 64GB, and 16GB of storage I really expect (even though I know better) to have that much space available to me ...

The actual available space one gets differs a little from device to device. I'm not sure why. I got about 12.4 gb with my iP 5. But I saw where others got more and some less. If they could make them all the same, then they should advertise it as a 12.4 gb phone. But that doesn't look as good as 16 gb. It's like beer. Most don't advertise the alcohol content because it varies.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
The actual available space one gets differs a little from device to device. I'm not sure why. I got about 12.4 gb with my iP 5. But I saw where others got more and some less. If they could make them all the same, then they should advertise it as a 12.4 gb phone. But that doesn't look as good as 16 gb. It's like beer. Most don't advertise the alcohol content because it varies.

That's it exactly. They use one way to calculate the space because 16GB sounds better then saying 12.4 or whatever the space is.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Maybe this will help from Apple themselves:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201402
Maybe I'm just too ignorant like my Wife always tells me. But I understand them to say on a 32 gb iPhone, the "capacity" is in fact 32 gb, not 28. It appears to me they were explaining the difference between "capacity" and "available". To say. "it's all there." is confusing. Yes, it is all there. All 32 gb. But all 32 gb is not available for the user to use. Only about 28 gb is available for use. If I'm wrong, then I need an Apple Support site for dummies. :D Thanks for your input.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I get why they do it in a sense, but it would be just as easy and less deceitful to build in a overhead for the OS. For example a 128gb iPhone would have a 145GB drive with an actual 128GB of user storage ... Some things are just that simple ...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I get why they do it in a sense, but it would be just as easy and less deceitful to build in a overhead for the OS. For example a 128gb iPhone would have a 145GB drive with an actual 128GB of user storage ... Some things are just that simple ...
$2.99 for a jar of peanut butter could easily be $3 too. But, yeah, you'd think they could make them all the same and advertise what you actually get for use. Either like you said or be upfront about what you actually get. In their ad., they should say, "Get 113.4 gb with this 128 gb iPhone 6.".

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't see usable disk space as being advertisement.
Whatever it takes to format a disk is what it is.
There must be a reason why disk space doubles in increments 16-32-64-128-256. As oppose to say 16 to 38.
I'm not sure who makes the drives for the iPhone but it's a universal thing meaning I don't see a company making a 74 gig drive to account for 10 gig of the OS to give the user 64. But what if the OS and what it takes to format a drive is 11 gig next year. Do you make the drive 75 gig to still give the user 64.
I just don't see it as being deceitful. Every drive I've owned follows the rule that after formatting the drive will have less user available space.
A user has to estimate they amount of space they need the user has to do the "leg work" of determining that. Their are set guidelines for digital storage space and the user has to work within those guidelines. Figure out what you need 16-64-128 and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hard drive space has been advertised this way since hard drives first appeared (it's entirely likely tape based storage does this as well, but I don't know). The advertised space is always given in Base10 (1KB = 1000 bytes). But computers don't work in decimal, they work in Base2 (binary). So a computer will see 1KB as 1024 bytes.
If you're going to complain about this with an iPhone, you also need to complain about every computing device you've ever owned that had any sort of permanent storage-all smartphones, iPods and other music devices, Windows, Linux, and OS X based PCs and laptops, smart watches, etc.
Space before OS is installed:
16GB (decimal) is 14.9 (binary)
32GB -> 29.8
64GB -> 59.6
128GB -> 119.2
256GB -> 238.4
512GB -> 476.8
1TB -> 931.3

Amen.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

My friends iPhone 6 is the 16gb model and he only has 8.8gb of space available and that's around the same size capacity as the Samsung Galaxy S4 had and people had plenty of issues with Samsung over that. With Samsung up until recently at least you had a micro sd card slot so I could save my movies and music all on that. I understand it's the capacity they are telling us before they add the OS and etc but I would like if they actually give us the capacity free to the users or make sure we get 16gb of space that we can use like adding say 20Gb of memory so the phone would have 16gb of usable space. Just checked my iPad and it's capacity is 114gb.

I don't really have an issue with space yet on my phone and soon with my iPad and wouldn't be a big deal but "other" takes up quite a lot of space. Luckily so far my iPad Air 2 only has around 2-5 gb to other and like 1GB with my phone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My friends iPhone 6 is the 16gb model and he only has 8.8gb of space available and that's around the same size capacity as the Samsung Galaxy S4 had and people had plenty of issues with Samsung over that. With Samsung up until recently at least you had a micro sd card slot so I could save my movies and music all on that. I understand it's the capacity they are telling us before they add the OS and etc but I would like if they actually give us the capacity free to the users or make sure we get 16gb of space that we can use like adding say 20Gb of memory so the phone would have 16gb of usable space. Just checked my iPad and it's capacity is 114gb.

I don't really have an issue with space yet on my phone and soon with my iPad and wouldn't be a big deal but "other" takes up quite a lot of space. Luckily so far my iPad Air 2 only has around 2-5 gb to other and like 1GB with my phone

They can't give you a capacity that's free to the user because it's going to vary. It could be one thing on a new phone that comes with iOS 8.1 vs one that comes with iOS 8.3
Again the user has to figure these things out its not difficult. Buy as much storage as you can or gauge what your usage is. Gauge your usage or potential usage.
Say the great camera in the iPhone 6/Plus may push a user to take more pics and vids than their previous phone. The user has to take that into consideration when choosing the storage options.
Again the user has to do the leg work.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I just don't see it as being deceitful. Every drive I've owned follows the rule that after formatting the drive will have less user available space.
A user has to estimate they amount of space they need the user has to do the "leg work" of determining that. Their are set guidelines for digital storage space and the user has to work within those guidelines. Figure out what you need 16-64-128 and call it a day.

It most certainly is deceitful. Always has been, and until it's changed , it always will be. There should be no "leg work" involved. When a car has a 16 gallon gas tank I expect it to hold 16 gallons, anything different is not 16 gallons
It's not that I don't understand how capacity is measured in hard drives, it's how that capacity is still sold in this day and age...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It most certainly is deceitful. Always has been, and until it's changed , it always will be. There should be no "leg work" involved. When a car has a 16 gallon gas tank I expect it to hold 16 gallons, anything different is not 16 gallons
It's not that I don't understand how capacity is measured in hard drives, it's how that capacity is still sold in this day and age...

Send feedback to all the makers of hard drives and you may have your wish. Until then calculate what amount of storage you may need based on how drives are formatted.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It most certainly is deceitful. Always has been, and until it's changed , it always will be. There should be no "leg work" involved.
Apple makes it known that space after iOS is installed clearly less than the advertised total capacity on the phones... Apple - iPhone - Compare Models -- see where it says "Capacity and price"?? With the superscript "1" to refer to the footnote at the bottom where it plainly says, "1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less." -- Apple says this not just here, but even on the back of my iPhone6's box. There is no deceit on Apple's part. There is ample ignorance on the consumer's part when they fail to note what's available in plain sight from multiple places.

Last edited:

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
They can't give you a capacity that's free to the user because it's going to vary. It could be one thing on a new phone that comes with iOS 8.1 vs one that comes with iOS 8.3
Again the user has to figure these things out its not difficult. Buy as much storage as you can or gauge what your usage is. Gauge your usage or potential usage.
Say the great camera in the iPhone 6/Plus may push a user to take more pics and vids than their previous phone. The user has to take that into consideration when choosing the storage options.
Again the user has to do the leg work.

I understand why they can't but at the same time they could at least try not to take 50% of the capacity for the OS or give the user more space by erasing the 16GB model and replacing it with the 32gb but that would cut into Apple margins so they won't. I like how Samsung got rid of it and now both of their flagship models are at least 32Gb. note 4 only comes in 32GB and the s6 minimum is 32

I would of bought the 128GB since it's only $5 dollars more to lease the 6 plus in 128 over 64 on sprint. $35 per month for the 128 and $30 per month for he 64

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Send feedback to all the makers of hard drives and you may have your wish. Until then calculate what amount of storage you may need based on how drives are formatted.

One of the things I loved about iOS and stock android over say touchwiz on Samsung devices or etc was the fact the OS didn't take over 50% of the capacity. The S4 space available was around 8gb after you take into effect the OS and Samsung touchwiz ui. I think if they still want to offer the 16gb model they could try to trim it down a bit but it's whatever . Not the model for me personally

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I understand why they can't but at the same time they could at least try not to take 50% of the capacity for the OS or give the user more space by erasing the 16GB model and replacing it with the 32gb but that would cut into Apple margins so they won't. I like how Samsung got rid of it and now both of their flagship models are at least 32Gb. note 4 only comes in 32GB and the s6 minimum is 32

I would of bought the 128GB since it's only $5 dollars more to lease the 6 plus in 128 over 64 on sprint. $35 per month for the 128 and $30 per month for he 64

Of course a big reason why the 16 exist is to push buyers to the 64 or 128. That's business and that's what they currently offer.
The reason I have a 64 and not a 128 is because the 64 5S was perfect for me. So based on that experience that's what I got. I had a 16 gig 4S and based on that experience it wasn't enough.
So I made my decisions based on my experience.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I've never heard of a 16 gb iPhone that started at 8.8 gb available. That had to be after he put stuff on his phone.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I've never heard of a 16 gb iPhone that started at 8.8 gb available. That had to be after he put stuff on his phone.

Edit: It is 12gb. I was reading it wrong and must of thought where it said iOS version or something. Perhaps the space available

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2