Phone arriving tomorrow. Need some help with carrier.

mbeattie62300

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I'm a long time Android user making the switch. I had the 5 for about a month before going back to Android. I'll admit while I love Google and have so much of my online life tied to their services, the Iphone has charm that I've never witnessed before with any Android phone. Anyway, I left Verizon cause my bill was simple outrageous and went with Virgin. They are currently offering the 5s for $439 which seems totally unbeatable off contract so I jumped on it. My question is: since its shipped from Apple does this mean I can get on any of the pre paid options out there? Ive been told a clean iphone works on just about all the networks. Is this true? Any recommendations for a pre paid plan? Virgin doesn't have 4g in my area and tmo is useless except for voice so I'm looking at straight talk, VZW if they allow pre paid iphones or AT&T. My problem with Virgin is throttling. Id rather pay per gig which is something they dont offer beyond 2.5. Thanks in advance guys.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Verizon will only allow Verizon branded devices on their network. Plusyou wouldn't be able to use it on Verizon prepaid anyway as they do not allow 4G device on prepaid.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Anything from Sprint, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, etc will be carrier locked. They currently can't be unlocked for use on another carrier in the USA either.

Sent from my electronic device using Tapatalk.

mbeattie62300

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Their customer service isn't very knowledgeable at all but the rep and supervisor assured me I could take it to any compatible carrier that sells the micro SIM and plan. Their exact words were "it ships from Apple as a default device". On Apples website they do offer non carrier specific options so I assumed this is what id be getting.

rdmedina7

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I personally have the 5C for Virgin Mobile USA. It's locked on Virgin. Cannot be used on any network but theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
If you jailbreak it, there is a sim holder I guess that's what it's called that's let's you use the phone on any other network that I saw a few months back

Sent from my Gold iPhone using Tapatalk

mbeattie62300

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I personally have the 5C for Virgin Mobile USA. It's locked on Virgin. Cannot be used on any network but theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where are you located if you don't mind me asking? I just moved to PA from NYC so my coverage on Tmo went out the window. VZW is just too much (currently without Wi-Fi in my home so my data is threw the roof) which is why I grabbed virgin. The data even when throttled isnt all that bad. I just wish I could spend a little more and have a few extra full speed gigs. Do you get 4G in your area?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
If you buy it from a prepaid carrier, it'll usually be discounted but locked to that prepaid carrier. What you want is something unlocked from apple or just use the 5 you got on Verizon which is unlocked.

I wouldn't mess with any cdma prepaid carrier. Try AIO perhaps or something that uses AT&T towers. Better yet, find a friend or family to share a plan with.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Their customer service isn't very knowledgeable at all but the rep and supervisor assured me I could take it to any compatible carrier that sells the micro SIM and plan. Their exact words were "it ships from Apple as a default device". On Apples website they do offer non carrier specific options so I assumed this is what id be getting.

I've been working for Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobile for four years. You'd be better off buying an unlocked variant. Verizon sells theirs factory unlocked as well.

You'll save a few bucks buying it from Virgin Mobile, yes. However, that'll be the only carrier the device will function with.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2