Do text and iMessages send if the phone is locked?

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Do text and iMessages send if the phone is locked? I find some iMessages don't send unless I stay in the message or wake my phone and go back into the message

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My text and iMessages send if I come out of the app. I believe they send also if the phone is locked. I've never noticed that they weren't being sent.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, both will send/receive if the phone is locked...it works in the background. The thing is, if you're sending the message, if your network connection is decent, you wouldn't really have time to lock your phone down if you hit send...and we all know receiving them works because we get notifications of such on the lock screen itself.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
depends how bad my service is in the area im in, but it always sends after i lock the screen. if im in a 1X area down in the dungeon at work, sometimes it takes up to a minute to send after i hit the button. ill lock the phone and set it down....a minute later ill hear the "fwoomp" send noise.

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Could happen that the Delivery notice triggers only when you open up the app.
Though it's almost certain the message is sent out no matter what, even when you're not looking.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
It's still happening! I send a text I get out of of messages and it's in the process of sending and it didn't send until I opened the message again after wondering why the delay in the text and it didn't finish sending :/

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Slide the message over and check the time it was sent and you will know if it sent before you re-entered the app

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What Kataran said is true but also when you open you are just seeing Delivered but it is there as soon as you send it and it hits it's destination to who you sent it to and the same with read if the other person and you have that feature turned on.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure that the phone is not resending an iMessage as a text message? I've seen that happen before.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
When ever I send a message then lock my phone I hear the " whoop" sound, meaning the message is sent.
So yes iMessage messages are sent when you lock your phone.