Data usage issue and e-mail.

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what to make of this, but I'm a little annoyed.

I have a shared data plan my wife and I share between two iPhones and two iPads. We don't use much data because we almost always have wifi access. We stay on a 4gb plan, and change if it looks like we are going over (rarely).

A few days ago, more than a week before the end of the billing cycle, I got a message that we had gone through 75% of our data allotment. A day later, we supposedly had gone through our data. I couldn't imagine how.

When I called Verizon, I was asked if I had encountered trouble sending any email, which may have remained in my outbox for a prolonged period, I did have problems sending two email messages last week, and the messages apparently remained in my outbox for a couple of days.

The Verizon rep suggested that this is what ate my data. He explained that when messages remain in the outbox, the iPhone supposedly tries to resend them every second. When I was away from wifi, the phone continued to try to send via my data network.

The Verizon Rep suggested that he sees this quite often. I had to up my data plan for the cycle, at my expense.

Now that I know this, I'll pay attention to the messages I get if an email isn't sent. But I wish there were some safeguard built into the iOS to prevent this from happening.

Posted from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If your running iOS 7 you can turn off cellular data for the mail app under settings -> cellular and toggle mail off
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386643883.111874.jpg

The only downside is you won't be able to sent and receive mail while your using cellular data when this is toggle off but the mail app will still work fine when connected to wifi

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

LadiJae

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Wow that may explain why I was going over with my last phone the last few months. I had emails that were doing that , but thought nothing of it.

Interesting...TFS

~ Sent from my Sexy iPhone 5s Gold on Tapatalk ~

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The mail issue is one of many different supposed causes for major data consumption...but honestly, after being told this same exact thing by AT&T last summer (on my iPhone 5), I deleted all of my email boxes and accounts from the iPhone and tested it for about a month. The next calling cycle, like before, I went over on my data. I honestly think it's a conglomerate of different things...many of which are not in our control at all (IE: erroneous data usage while the iPhone is completely powered down and SIM removed for instance)...and I don't think we're going to ever find a real solid target when it comes to WHY because it's something the carriers make money on every second of every day.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've heard the biggest loads of crap from AT&T when I supposedly go over my data. And by a lot in very little time.
That thing about email remaining in the outbox is nothing more than crap, too. Sometimes even the carriers can't
explain things like this because the reps have no idea. So they'll read you things off a list. I've been through this
with AT&T at least five times. One tried to suggest that maybe my iPhone updated on its own when it wasn't
connected to WiFi. I had to point out to the rep that it's impossible for an iPhone to do a software update through
cellular.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The mail issue is one of many different supposed causes for major data consumption...but honestly, after being told this same exact thing by AT&T last summer (on my iPhone 5), I deleted all of my email boxes and accounts from the iPhone and tested it for about a month. The next calling cycle, like before, I went over on my data. I honestly think it's a conglomerate of different things...many of which are not in our control at all (IE: erroneous data usage while the iPhone is completely powered down and SIM removed for instance)...and I don't think we're going to ever find a real solid target when it comes to WHY because it's something the carriers make money on every second of every day.

Agreed, and that is why it's important for you to keep track of your normal usage. Something that arguably intended to be ammo for the carriers has become ammo for the users is data usage history. We are creatures of habit and our usage displays it so when they try to jack you with overages and you're not overseas or anything, you use that history to your advantage and force them to prove otherwise. If you're a customer in good standing, the odds will be in your favor a majority of the time, in my opinion and experience.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've heard the biggest loads of crap from AT&T when I supposedly go over my data. And by a lot in very little time.
That thing about email remaining in the outbox is nothing more than crap, too. Sometimes even the carriers can't
explain things like this because the reps have no idea. So they'll read you things off a list. I've been through this
with AT&T at least five times. One tried to suggest that maybe my iPhone updated on its own when it wasn't
connected to WiFi. I had to point out to the rep that it's impossible for an iPhone to do a software update through
cellular.

Speaking of incorrect data tracking by carriers here's one that is confusing:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386964120.322849.jpg

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2