Google Maps gone

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Set up my new 5s today and all apps are showing except for Google Maps. It shows in Updates but when I click on Open, nothing happens. It does not show up in Settings though. I've looked in all the folders and its no where to be found. Any idea of how I can get it on screen for use? I also went to the App Store to download it but it again says "open" but nothing happens.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
on an open space on your home screen, swipe down to display the Spotlight search function. Type in Google Maps and et it find it for you.

JsGrandma

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Nothing comes up, only Search Web and Search Wikipedia. I tried the App Store again and it shows "Open" but nothing happens.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
on an open space on your home screen, swipe down to display the Spotlight search function. Type in Google Maps and et it find it for you.

I thought google maps was a downloaded app now. Did they switch the maps back to google? Can I delete the app?!

Last edited:

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I had this happen with Yahoo finance a few days ago, I tried the sync with iTunes method and it did not work. I ended up having to do a factory restore to get everything up and running properly again. When I did the restore with backup the problem did persists, so it has to be a bug on the database side of things in iOS7, hope they clear it up wasn't fun spending the day reconfiguring all of my apps and settings.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought google maps was a downloaded app now. Did they switch the maps back to google? Can I delete the app?!

Yes, Google Maps is now a 3rd-party app to be downloaded from the App Store, and yes, it can be deleted just like any other 3rd-party app...:)

Last edited:

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the Google Maps is no now a 3rd-party app to be downloaded from the App Store, and yes, it can be deleted just like any other 3rd-party app...:)

That's not what I was asking you. I asked if I can delete the google maps app because I want to know if google maps is now embedded in iOS like before.

dalaen

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue with iBooks. Shown as installed in the App Store, but nowhere to be seen on my phone.
Actually, a simple restart of the phone made the trick.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
That's not what I was asking you. I asked if I can delete the google maps app because I want to know if google maps is now embedded in iOS like before.

I don't believe Google maps were ever embedded into apples ios. Just always readily available and was the norm for a while

Sent from my gameboy color

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe Google maps were ever embedded into apples ios. Just always readily available and was the norm for a while

It used to that the built in Maps app used Google Maps?she's hoping Apple went back to using them for the built in Maps app.

They did not. If you want to use Google's maps you need to use their app or view them in Safari.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
It used to that the built in Maps app used Google Maps?she's hoping Apple went back to using them for the built in Maps app.

They did not. If you want to use Google's maps you need to use their app or view them in Safari.

Yeah they used them but it wasn't a gmaps app. I don't ever forsee them going back. They want as many people using the ios maps app.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Right, that's what she wants?the native app, using Google's maps.

Thank you very much. I think people forgot that was native before? Lol

I'm sure they'd never go back but it would be nice.

For clarification, I originally misread what the OP was saying.

Thanks

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2