Siri works on my lock screen when I have turned off access to Siri on the lock screen (5S)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have Siri turned to OFF for lock screen access, yet it still works. Not only that, but if I ask it to open an app it completely unlocks the phone and goes to the app. As a matter of fact, it only happens when Touch ID is enabled.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: Working as intended
Try it without the finger you've used to setup fingerprint scan control.

Mine does not access Siri unless I use my scanned fingers. It also does not work if I have finger print scanner off.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like something to demonstrate to an AppleGenius so they can report the issue through their channels, or swap a defective device if that is found to be the case...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like something to demonstrate to an AppleGenius so they can report the issue through their channels, or swap a defective device if that is found to be the case...

I want to see if anyone here can replicate this before I actually go. I've had 3 different 5S's so far and each of them would do the same. Except that today it occurred to me to actually ask Siri to open an app and it happened. I tried to replicate it on my iPad Air and it wouldn't happen, which promoted me to try on my 5S without Touch ID. I just got this new 5S on Monday when I got it as an exchange for my gold one that I didn't want to keep.

Or, I'm missing something and would like to be corrected :D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have Siri turned to OFF for lock screen access, yet it still works. Not only that, but if I ask it to open an app it completely unlocks the phone and goes to the app. As a matter of fact, it only happens when Touch ID is enabled.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

After reading your post, I tried to duplicate the problem, but I couldn't. I turned OFF access to Siri when the device is locked, and when I held down the home button, Siri was NOT activated. Granted, I don't have an iPhone 5S, but still, I'm wondering if a restore and set up as new will correct the problem for you.

MzDee

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I just gave this a try. Access to Siri for the lock screen is disabled but I am still able to use it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I restored this phone from what I think was a backup from the previous 5S. I'm going to check and if not going to use the other backup which was a clean 7.0.3 install for a 5S and see what happens....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. With Siri lock screen access off, I can still access Siri and launch apps.
I do have touchid enabled and didn't try this with it off.

Well, that is definitely a security issue that Apple needs to correct ASAP, if they are aware of the problem.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Try it without the finger you've used to setup fingerprint scan control.

Mine does not access Siri unless I use my scanned fingers. It also does not work if I have finger print scanner off.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think this is actually an accidentally intuitive function, lol. The finger print scanner is reading your finger print and seamlessly opening Siri if held down (thinking that is the full function you want).

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was a bug also, but it is an awesome feature. I tried it with different fingers, but only works with my saved fingerprints.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
For the sake to have something to complain about, I wish it didn't do this so that way I can just press my home button and unlock instead of having to light up the screen first and then touch ID myself into the phone.

I'll continue to live as I already have, though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2