Weird bug with Shortcuts

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have edited this post as I got annihilated with sarcasm, some humour and confusion as I had not put a context around the "Try This" steps at the bottom of this post.

So for future people who read this I hope this makes more sense.

I had an issue with my iphone 5s where I could not type in my mobile number which had a dialing code of 07776. I went to Apple and found other 5s phones did not have this issue so they replaced my phone, I had also read on Appleinsider that there was a screen inaccuracy issue with the 5s which meant the screen did not react correctly to its inputs.

I then went home, happy, logged in and started to restore all my information and the problem came back. I would type 07 and when trying to type the next 7 an 8 would appear or a 6 or ? sign. So I realised it was not hardware and started to run tests on the phone to figure out why.

Long story short is was my keyboard shortcuts, it seems the 5s does not like triple numbers like my 777. I tested this on an iphone 4s and an iphone 5 and they do not have this issue, so its 5s related, but software I think.

Below are the steps if you want to see what I mean:

Open a new text message or email
Select the body of the message
Type 07776 07776 07776

Works fine, yes....?

Now do this:

Go to settings, general, keyboard, shortcuts
Create a new shortcut
Make the phrase - 07776123456
Make the shortcut - 07776
Save the new shortcut

Now repeat:

Type 07776 07776 07776

You should now find the it's much harder to avoid 6 8 and ? symbols coming up when you try yo enter the 777 of the code? In fact it's almost impossible...

Let me know what your thoughts are on this?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm obviously missing something here. Why would I want to do what you are asking?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Try this...tie your 5S to the space shuttle, after the second stage rockets fire, you'll find that the 5S has a problem remaining tied to the shuttle...and will come off, destroying it and making it impossible to locate via GPS.

Freakin' Apple and their lack of innovative hardware design.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Try this...tie your 5S to the space shuttle, after the second stage rockets fire, you'll find that the 5S has a problem remaining tied to the shuttle...and will come off, destroying it and making it impossible to locate via GPS.

Freakin' Apple and their lack of innovative hardware design.

LMAO:rotfl:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Try this, it only happens on the 5s:

Type 07776 07776 07776

Works fine, yes....?

Now do this:

Go to settings, general, keyboard, shortcuts
Create a new shortcut
Make the phrase - 07776123456
Make the shortcut - 07776
Save the new shortcut

Now repeat:

Type 07776 07776 07776

You should now find the it's much harder to avoid 6 8 and ? symbols coming up when you try yo enter the 777 of the code? In fact it's almost impossible...

Let me know what your thoughts are on this?

e5ezugy3.jpg

#Naked Tuesday

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Jeez guys ease up!

The reason I done this is because my mobile number starts with 07776

The reason I posted it is because there is a problem with shortcuts on iOS 7 and thought potentially others would have similar issues so I thought in would share in case other people have had keyboard issues and it could help.

I am starting to wish I had not posted this now, not really sure it warranted quite the attacks you have all posted, but there you go...

Forums can be strange places sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

JaenelleMasen

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Jeez guys ease up!

The reason I done this is because my mobile number starts with 07776

The reason I posted it is because there is a problem with shortcuts on iOS 7 and thought potentially others would have similar issues so I thought in would share in case other people have had keyboard issues and it could help.

I am starting to wish I had not posted this now, not really sure it warranted quite the attacks you have all posted, but there you go...

Forums can be strange places sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

I think the reason why some people were confused with your initial query is because you did not indicate the reason for the intricate base of steps you showed that led to the iOS issues. Maybe if you had started off by saying that you were having issues with the iPhone's OS shortcuts (based on your own number). I don't think you would have gotten the type of responses that you did.

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes I think you may be right, cheers....

I am an IT Test manager and I that is how we detail bugs with steps to reproduce, apologies for confusing you all and in future I will put a detailed context around any post. :sarcastic:

I have updated the main post...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes I think you may be right, cheers....

I am an IT Test manager and I that is how we detail bugs with steps to reproduce, apologies for confusing you all and in future I will put a detailed context around any post. :sarcastic:

I have updated the main post...

I'm sorry, but there's a huge difference between sarcasm and "attacking" (as you put it). Nobody was attacking you...but we were certainly being sarcastic, because the steps you have to go through to replicate this "bug" are unrealistic. Also, to report, I have a number that I share all the time with a trip number sequence in it (222 to be exact) and have never had any issues typing this or copying/pasting it. I share that number on my 5S at least 5-10 times per week.

To be fair with your point though, your steps did, in fact, lead to an issue with the keyboard getting incorrect inputs (6's and 8's)...and Apple should address this at some point in the future.

Last edited: