5S Touch ID reliability

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I really like the Touch-ID on my 5s BUT lately I have found that it is not working reliably. It seems that I have to reprogram my Touch ID prints about every 2 - 3 days. It'll work for about 1 - 2 days then I have to re-program 1 or both finger prints. Anyone else having problems? Maybe when I'm at my Apple store on Friday to pickup the new iPad Air I'll mention this problem to the geniuses.

Jose Hidaka

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I really like the Touch-ID on my 5s BUT lately I have found that it is not working reliably. It seems that I have to reprogram my Touch ID prints about every 2 - 3 days. It'll work for about 1 - 2 days then I have to re-program 1 or both finger prints. Anyone else having problems? Maybe when I'm at my Apple store on Friday to pickup the new iPad Air I'll mention this problem to the geniuses.

That theory about having to reprogram the fingers... So your print change every 3 days? Or the data stored in the iphone lose part of it till it can't be compared to your print? Don't make senses right?

It can't be "issues" with the sensor coz it did work to get yours prints, and unlocking like you say for 2-3 days... Is not that you register always the same part of your finger coz the program will tell you so, so I just can think that you are registering parts of your finger you don't use/don't touch the sensor...

Well changing a little the topic, did anyone notice then you unlock the iphone pushing down with a registered finger the home button, and releasing the "push" but leaving your finger in the sensor, the unlock is almost instant?

beeray

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

I find the same thing!

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Well changing a little the topic, did anyone notice then you unlock the iphone pushing down with a registered finger the home button, and releasing the "push" but leaving your finger in the sensor, the unlock is almost instant?

Yes. That's how I've been using it from the beginning. Works perfectly!

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Mine work perfect every time except on my right thumb, which has a scar down the middle, but even that digit works most of the time. I'd get a new phone if I was you.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed that it is very vital to get the whole "programming" part right, for it to work flawlessly. I have not had any issues whatsoever since I got the phone. The thing is to make sure that during setup the sensor reads the entirety of your finger. I noticed a lot of people setting up their print at my Verizon store, would just jab down their finger and call it a day. You have to eventually roll your finger a bit, and give it a good copy of your prints all around, so when you go to unlock it, it will read your finger at all angles.

Worse case scenario, get it exchanged at Apple and see if it's just a bad one of the bunch. Good luck!

Mister Sir

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I find that if my finger is really dry, then it has problems. Sometimes two or three tries before I'm in. If I moisturize my hands, the scanner has no problem reading my fingerprint.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Sometimes it's just a matter of wiping the home screen with your shirt. I haven't had as bad as an experience as having to re-add fingerprints. That's a borderline hardware problem if wiping the home button isn't working.

dtblair24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Works flawlessly for me. I agree with making sure you do a good job programming it. First time I did it, i rushed and was not fully understanding how it wanted me to move around a bit to capture everything, but after I cleared those and re added my digits it has been perfect. Might want to try another phone

rahrah12

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
pretty much instant if I leave my finger on the home button after unlocking...I almost forget that there is a lock since it is so simultaneous...has worked great for me so far.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I find a simple wipe of the home button from time to time keeps it working well. I've had my 5S about a month now, and the finger print scanner works flawless 99% of the time... and on rare occasions it has trouble with a scan, I wipe the home button, and everything is back to normal.

JSHidaka

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
today I had something 2 interesting with the touchID,
1. I was "renaming" my scans, and by mistake did delete one, like the 3rd one, for some reason the first 2 did stop reading, and had to reprogram the 3 fingers (the one I delete by mistake and the 2 that stop working)

2. after updating Twitter app and checking it, after a while Im going to unlock, and It was like the TouchID wasn't working, I wasn't even getting the try again. had to unlock it with passcode, unlocked it, closed the Twitter app that was the only thing open in that moment, and lockd it again to check the touch id, and everything normal.... not sure if the twitter app in the background had something to do... but for sure that's iOS 7 issues/bugs and not hardware... that's why not really worried about that.

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So, with the touch sensor. If you just rest your finger on the home button, it automatically unlocks, even if you don't want it to?

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
So, with the touch sensor. If you just rest your finger on the home Byron, it automatically unlocks, even if you don't want it to?

If the phone is in standby, and the display is asleep, then no. Resting a finger on the home button will not wake and unlock the phone.

You have to wake the device first, then, if you rest your finger on the home button, it will unlock.

You can also do both in one action, by depressing the home button to wake the device, and leaving that finger resting on the home button long enough to also unlock the device.

Auturi

Banned
Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
If the phone is in standby, and the display is asleep, then no. Resting a finger on the home button will not wake and unlock the phone.

You have to wake the device first, then, if you rest your finger on the home button, it will unlock.

You can also do both in one action, by depressing the home button to wake the device, and leaving that finger resting on the home button long enough to also unlock the device.

Hmm nifty.

itsmemuffins

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same issue. It would work flawlessly for a day or two than gradually get worse until I have to reprogram. No Apple Stores here in Ireland so I'll have to contact Apple to send me out a replacement.

Fortheus

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
It "learns" how you normally click on it and update it's memory. I've read somewhere that if you fail at first then success at the next touch, it updates your fingerprint database. May be after failing for few times it gets corrupted.

I update it several times to take the most natural position when I click and it works almost flawlessly now. It fails only when my finger is wet after washing hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Mister Sir, I started thinking about your post. I think I have found the problem. The Touch ID worked fine last night before I went to bed. This AM it didn't work. As the day goes on I drink a lot of water. I think what is happening is that my fingers will get "fatter" during the day. At night I loose that excess water and now my fingers are "skinny". I would not have thought that this would change the finger print enough to cause a problem. But I guess the Touch ID sensor is so sensitive that it will affect the scan of my finger prints. The reason it works for a day or 2 is that I think I am trying to unlock the phone at around the times that my fingers are effectively the same "size" as when I store the print.

Thanks for all comments.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2