View Poll Results: Will you get applecare+ for your 5S?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 79.25%
  • No

11 20.75%
    After I had to pay $200 for a replacement 4S that I dropped while getting out a car, APPLE CARE ON ALL TEH THINGS!
    10-18-2013 01:07 AM
    But if I didn't have Apple Care + they would cover it, right?

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app
    Seems like MasterCard would cover you if you didn't have Apple Care plus.
    10-18-2013 01:12 AM
    Seems like MasterCard would cover you if you didn't have Apple Care plus.
    Too bad it doesn't extend the phone support too, that's why I am still happy I got Apple Care +.

10-18-2013 07:13 AM
    Too bad it doesn't extend the phone support too, that's why I am still happy I got Apple Care +.

Oh yea getting AC+ is a good move. These things are fragile and you never know what may happen.
    10-18-2013 10:17 AM
    I get it for the fact you can use your phone the way it was meant to be used without the worry of dings and scratches. Then turn it in for replacement when its time to sell. That way you have a pristine refurb to sell, and add extra value by transferring the AC+ to the new owner.
    10-18-2013 11:09 AM
    I have a MasterCard Word credit card, it offers me extended warranty for additional 12 months, that includes 500$ per claim with a limit of up to 3000$. Since Apple charges you about 200$ for iPhone replacements if you don't have Apple Care +, and the credit card covers up to 500$ per claim do I still need to care about Apple Care +?

I have already bought Apple Care + with this iPhone 5S, but I was asking so I know what to do with my future Apple devices. Also do you think the credit card will cover the 79$ replacement fee for Apple Care + replacements?

Extended Warranty by MasterCard World link: World MasterCard® | Purchase Protection & Extended Warranty

From what I'm reading there, Mastercard would not fully replace AppleCare+

Extended Warranty is the extended coverage for an additional 12 months from the expiry date of the original warranty. The benefit duplicates the terms of the original Manufacturers Warranty up to one full year for Covered Purchases that cease to operate satisfactorily and require repairs during the Policy Period. World MasterCard cardholders can get their eligible purchases repaired or replaced for up to USD 500 per claim and a maximum of USD 2,000 over a 12 month period of insurance.
    The key part is: "The benefit duplicates the terms of the original manufacturers warranty" which for Apple, without AppleCare+, does not cover accidental damage.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    10-18-2013 12:34 PM
    Basically, what I'm reading it as: If you buy a $2000 TV, with a one year manufacturers warranty that completely covers it from failure with repairs or replacement at no cost to you, then Mastercard, after that first year, will cover the TV for a second year, for failure with repairs or replacement at no cost to you up to $500 per claim. So if the tv completely breaks beyond the possibility of repair after 18 months, they will pay $500 of the cost of a replacement. If a replacement is $650, then you have to cover the $150 difference.

and if you break the TV, by say, throwing a baseball at it... (accidental damage) which the original manufacturers warranty wouldn't cover anyway, I don't think Mastercard will cover it either.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    10-18-2013 12:41 PM
    From what I'm reading there, Mastercard would not fully replace AppleCare+

The key part is: "The benefit duplicates the terms of the original manufacturers warranty" which for Apple, without AppleCare+, does not cover accidental damage.
    Yep I know. Only in my case MasterCard Extended Warranty will come in advantage. Since I study in Qatar, and only come to the US in the summer holiday, if my phone ever breaks here I can send it to one of the Apple "Stupid" Authorized centers and MasterCard will pay the repair fees.

I call them stupid, because I have no idea how Apple authorized them or gave them permission to touch their devices when these centers got no idea about the device and how to repair it.

10-18-2013 01:17 PM
    Before they introduced apple care + you could add apple care anytime within the 1st year. Maybe the associate confused the two.
    Maybe, but they haven't offered regular Apple Care on the iPhone for a couple of years now if I remember correctly, so it's not like it was changed this year or anything...Apple Care + has always been 30 days (and I thought started with the 4S).
    10-18-2013 01:21 PM
    Maybe, but they haven't offered regular Apple Care on the iPhone for a couple of years now if I remember correctly, so it's not like it was changed this year or anything...Apple Care + has always been 30 days (and I thought started with the 4S).
    Yes it started after the 4S was released by few weeks.

10-18-2013 01:31 PM
    But if I didn't have Apple Care + they would cover it, right?

I'm talking for Amex, you need to be out of warranty before they can help...
    M.Rizk likes this.
    10-18-2013 02:05 PM
    Any idea if you can purchase Applecare+ in a phone provider corporate store? Not an actual Apple Store but just an AT&T place
    10-18-2013 11:41 PM
    Any idea if you can purchase Applecare+ in a phone provider corporate store? Not an actual Apple Store but just an AT&T place
    I don't think so. But if you are within 30 days of purchase, you can call up Apple and they'll run some remote diagnostics on the phone and let you purchase it over the phone.
    jmr1015 and kevinarguello like this.
    10-18-2013 11:42 PM
    I don't think so. But if you are within 30 days of purchase, you can call up Apple and they'll run some remote diagnostics on the phone and let you purchase it over the phone.
    I believe you have to actually take the phone in for inspection for damage. If you don't live within I think 50 miles of an Apple Store they'll let you do it over the phone.
    10-19-2013 10:34 AM
    I believe you have to actually take the phone in for inspection for damage. If you don't live within I think 50 miles of an Apple Store they'll let you do it over the phone.
    I think they have an apple section at Best Buy. I might pass by and check if they'd take a look at it so I can get Apple care.
    10-19-2013 12:31 PM
    Dont do it usually
    10-19-2013 03:32 PM
    Dont do it usually
    Just checked it out at Apple.com and apparently you can call with your proof of purchase and they'll run some remote diagnostic program so I can get registered in the system. No big deal
    10-19-2013 04:02 PM
    Just checked it out at Apple.com and apparently you can call with your proof of purchase and they'll run some remote diagnostic program so I can get registered in the system. No big deal
    In addition to the remote diagnostics, Apple may request a visual inspection, as well. They don’t always do that, but they can, and have requested that of me on one of my previous iPhone purchases..
    kevinarguello likes this.
    10-19-2013 04:14 PM
    In addition to the remote diagnostics, Apple may request a visual inspection, as well. They don’t always do that, but they can, and have requested that of me on one of my previous iPhone purchases..
    Well, let's see what happens once I have the thing physically in my hands next week. I'm talking about this things before even touching the toy
    10-19-2013 04:30 PM
    When I got my 5s, that was the first time I purchased AppleCare. Walked into my local Apple Store on day 10 and plunked down the $99.
    10-19-2013 04:39 PM
    When I bought AC+ for my 2 5S's they had to visually check them. YMMV.
    10-19-2013 04:47 PM
    Thing is that the closest Apple Store from my base is like 70+ miles or something like that... Can't drive all the way for just a visual inspection, the OK and drop the money. I might just stick with the AT&T insurance thing if they give me problems
    10-19-2013 04:56 PM
    Thing is that the closest Apple Store from my base is like 70+ miles or something like that... Can't drive all the way for just a visual inspection, the OK and drop the money. I might just stick with the AT&T insurance thing if they give me problems
    You can just call Apple using the contact number in the Apple Store app and they'll add it for you. All you need is the serial number (settings->general->about) and a credit card. This is how I added mine because I didn't purchase it at Best Buy when I purchased my phone. They didn't even ask me any questions. Took less than 5 minutes and they emailed my agreement number to me.
    10-19-2013 06:27 PM
    I called Apple about getting it. They said that if you want Apple Care to just call Apple right after you activate the phone and they will give it to you over the phone. But if you wait a few days/week(s), then you have to bring it in to store for damage inspection.
    10-19-2013 06:43 PM
    I called Apple about getting it. They said that if you want Apple Care to just call Apple right after you activate the phone and they will give it to you over the phone. But if you wait a few days/week(s), then you have to bring it in to store for damage inspection.
    You have 30 days from the date it ships if you ordered it online or you bought the phone from the carrier/Apple Store. You can either go to an Apple Store and purchase it or you have to call it in and perform a diagnostic test via a link they text you.

You do not have to take it in store.
    10-19-2013 07:01 PM
123 ... 2345