Sprint store iPhone 5s frustration

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been happy with them for the most part. Coverage where I lived and worked was great. Llast year however we moved and they don't work very well where I live. We had been paying quite a bit less (Mostly because my wife has held on to a really old plan with them) then any other options so we dealt with the poor coverage.

Sprint seems to be lagging well behind the other carriers for iPhone stock. Depending on what I read......It's either the other carriers are getting priority or Sprint offered the new phones at $100 off so they received huge demand because of the savings. People who actually ordered online with Sprint over the opening weekend(minus the gold model) seem to finally be getting tracking info over the last couple of day.

I think the biggest slap in the face for me is I had a brand new iPhone in front of me on the weekend of the launch. Sprint apprently changed something in the last couple of years since I last upgraded. Because of my plan, i'm only allowed to order directly from Sprint to get the upgraded price. 2 years ago, when i upgraded, I upgraded from a 3rd party vendor (Amazon) with no problem. So instead of having my shiny new phone, i'm waiting on Sprint.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Sprint just seems like the worst part of owning any smart phone from the things I've read, seen and heard about them...a lady I work with has a brand spanking new Galaxy S4, and can't even use LTE because of it's availability in the Atlanta area...not to mention she gets terrible 4G service almost everywhere.

Haha sprint is a joke even T-Mobile has a larger LTE footprint then they do and they were late to the party as well.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I get this feeling that last year, when Sprint finally got the iPhone, and they thought it was going to be this saving grace move on their part...and then they realized that people, regardless of the popularity of a certain device, aren't going to knowingly move to a lesser service for around the same cost, so they had what was very clearly the low end of the iPhone release monetary spectrum (also evident in their decision to give such substantial internal discounts on the devices themselves, when everyone else was just selling at retail cost or normal contract cost and swimming in the money).

Sprint didn't get the iPhone last year. They got prior year with the 4S. This is going to the 3rd year that sprint has had the iPhone. I do agree with your statement. I left sprint last week after 12 years. Went with AT&T. My wife and I are highly satisfied. Here in Miami we get lte everywhere and great speeds. We have a 6GB data plan which should be plenty for the both of us.

...via iPhone5S from TapaTalk...

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Just to add a little something about my local Verizon store.

When I was first looking for a 5s I called and a lady was extremely rude when I asked if they had any available, she told me they are back ordered everywhere and they have none.

I asked her if she could check because I talked to someone earlier in the day and they said they had some in but I wanted to double check before I headed up here after work.

She reluctantly checked and they had 2 64gb and 1 32gb.

Most reps are probably just tired of being asked about it.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Sprint didn't get the iPhone last year. They got prior year with the 4S. This is going to the 3rd year that sprint has had the iPhone. I do agree with your statement. I left sprint last week after 12 years. Went with AT&T. My wife and I are highly satisfied. Here in Miami we get lte everywhere and great speeds. We have a 6GB data plan which should be plenty for the both of us.

I left in 2011 after 12 years with them also, and I am comparatively elated by my choice. So far other than the drama related to my phone being stolen in Sept 2011, the service has been pretty freakin' great. I have only noticed a few meh areas and a lot of that is when you're inside a place like IKEA or a mall. I have noticed the 5S gets better service than the 4S did though in regards to that. We don't have IKEA here so I can't check til I go north in a few weeks .

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I left in 2011 after 12 years with them also, and I am comparatively elated by my choice. So far other than the drama related to my phone being stolen in Sept 2011, the service has been pretty freakin' great. I have only noticed a few meh areas and a lot of that is when you're inside a place like IKEA or a mall. I have noticed the 5S gets better service than the 4S did though in regards to that. We don't have IKEA here so I can't check til I go north in a few weeks .

Usually by major airports service can be spotty. My office is close to Miami airport. I noticed with AT&T I drop to 4G in that area but even that is fast compared to sprint. Honestly I'm loving my new carrier. The speeds are amazing. I'm enjoying my iPhone experience even more. No longer dependent on wifi to truly enjoy my iPhone. Not worried about not having unlimited data. At office and home I'm on wifi. I have super fast Comcast wifi at both locations. There's only one regret...staying with sprint for so long...

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

I don't live close to our airport but I didn't experience any loss when I was up picking up a family member.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll admit it. I'm a happy Sprint customer. Yeah the data is slower and the coverage isn't as good but it's fine where I live. At least I feel like a customer instead of a number which is how Verizon made me feel. I'm not sure why people get their phones at carrier stores anymore. They are always horrible and lengthy experiences. It's 2013 now and there are a variety of places to purchase a phone without having to set foot inside a carrier store.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll admit it. I'm a happy Sprint customer. Yeah the data is slower and the coverage isn't as good but it's fine where I live. At least I feel like a customer instead of a number which is how Verizon made me feel. I'm not sure why people get their phones at carrier stores anymore. They are always horrible and lengthy experiences. It's 2013 now and there are a variety of places to purchase a phone without having to set foot inside a carrier store.

In my case, it was because I didn't have a choice. Sprint was forcing me to go through them unless I updated to another plan.

I think Sprints coverage is generally made out to be worse then it is. The customer service has gotten much better also. They still have a smaller footprint and their 3G is slow. However, if you live in an area where they've got good coverage it could be worth the savings, as long as you don't have to travel a lot. The unlimited data is my big sticking point. I don't abuse it but I don't want to have to worry about it either.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
When I was looking for a 5S a girl at one if my local Sprint Stores told me they would be in the next day called the next day a guy said the had no idea when they would get them. Lol. This was back on 9/24.

This store is a corporate store but very small and mostly get locals. I don't think they sell many iPhones. Like the Sprint stores in downtown Philadelphia which get people from all over probably people from Jersey and Delaware.

Sprint coverage in Philly is pretty cool LTE near me is fast. I left ATT in 2010 for Sprint because of a customer service issue.

Using Sprint Google Voice is great. I can make calls on my Mac through my cell number. Non iMessage texts come through on my iPad and Mac through Google Voice so it's like iMessage with non Apple device users. And unlimited everything is cool too.
I'm sure everyone has a horror story with every carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure everyone has a horror story with every carrier.

That's the truth! I left AT&T several years ago after I was having signal issues. I started to suspect that it was the free flip phone I had been using. After calling them a couple of times and even volunteering to sign another contract so I could get another phone (I was out of contract at this point), they still swore that my phone was fine. The final straw was when I was having lunch with my brother. We both got calls at the same time and both had AT&T. He's talking without an issue and I dropped the call. I immediately got another phone with another carrier. When I called AT&T to cancel they tried very hard to send me a new phone, telling me that my phone was probably the issue after all. I was so mad by that point that it didn't matter what they tried to offer me.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That's the truth! I left AT&T several years ago after I was having signal issues. I started to suspect that it was the free flip phone I had been using. After calling them a couple of times and even volunteering to sign another contract so I could get another phone (I was out of contract at this point), they still swore that my phone was fine. The final straw was when I was having lunch with my brother. We both got calls at the same time and both had AT&T. He's talking without an issue and I dropped the call. I immediately got another phone with another carrier. When I called AT&T to cancel they tried very hard to send me a new phone, telling me that my phone was probably the issue after all. I was so mad by that point that it didn't matter what they tried to offer me.

What happened with me and ATT was I had made a bunch of calls to a landline very lengthy calls so they weren't covered by mobile to mobile mins which was a feature they had at the time. The calls with my regular bill was like $500 this back in 2009-2010. So I paid it.

My contract had been up for a while. When called trying to find ways to save they mentioned the $500 bill they said if I would have called and complained they would have eaten some of the bill. Why would I complain I made the calls. I mean I made the calls there was no error why complain about something I did.

So I left ATT and my iPhone 3GS became a iPod touch. I had to wait two years for Sprint to get the iPhone. During that time I was in Blackberry and Android hell.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

In my case, it was because I didn't have a choice. Sprint was forcing me to go through them unless I updated to another plan.

I think Sprints coverage is generally made out to be worse then it is. The customer service has gotten much better also. They still have a smaller footprint and their 3G is slow. However, if you live in an area where they've got good coverage it could be worth the savings, as long as you don't have to travel a lot. The unlimited data is my big sticking point. I don't abuse it but I don't want to have to worry about it either.
I left Sprint after all that time not only because of their mediocre coverage and lame customer service, but because they made sure I knew I was not valued when, "as a courtesy to you, a long time loyal customer, we went ahead and removed your discounts and updated your plan." Those discounts were because I was 1) with them for that long and 2) I had an employee discount to use Sprint on that specific plan. Those discounts coming off my plan made my plan double literally instantly, almost triple, to over $300/mo for one smartphone and two flip phones! But yknow, they were being "courteous" to a long time customer. When they refused to reinstate them, I switched away literally that day. And the AT&T rep that handled our switch paid my ETF (my line was the only one with an ETF, and it was only an ETF because Sprint switched my plan without my input). Made switching pretty much a non issue.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I left Sprint after all that time not only because of their mediocre coverage and lame customer service, but because they made sure I knew I was not valued when, "as a courtesy to you, a long time loyal customer, we went ahead and removed your discounts and updated your plan." Those discounts were because I was 1) with them for that long and 2) I had an employee discount to use Sprint on that specific plan. Those discounts coming off my plan made my plan double literally instantly, almost triple, to over $300/mo for one smartphone and two flip phones! But yknow, they were being "courteous" to a long time customer. When they refused to reinstate them, I switched away literally that day. And the AT&T rep that handled our switch paid my ETF (my line was the only one with an ETF, and it was only an ETF because Sprint switched my plan without my input). Made switching pretty much a non issue.

Oh my! That's terrible. Were you on one of the old fair and flexible plans? They made a lot of people mad when they started booting people off of their legacy plans. Wasn't that long ago that I was paying $30 a month for unlimited data, texts and 500 minutes. They started playing hardball with upgrades and now I'm paying over double that in 6 years. Sad thing is, they're still quite a bit cheaper so I've put up with it.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Why I always deal with Apple when it comes time for the new iPhone, granted the store is literally across the street from me, but even if it was an hour or two hours away, I'd go deal there first before trying at the carrier on a side note AT&T will blow sprint out of the water, you'll be glad you switched

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh my! That's terrible. Were you on one of the old fair and flexible plans? They made a lot of people mad when they started booting people off of their legacy plans. Wasn't that long ago that I was paying $30 a month for unlimited data, texts and 500 minutes. They started playing hardball with upgrades and now I'm paying over double that in 6 years. Sad thing is, they're still quite a bit cheaper so I've put up with it.

By that time I was not on any "legacy" plan, since they started making you change at upgrade time, but it was an unpublished, kind of bastardized version of their unlimited family stuff with better perks. Where they lost me was simply that they made these "customer focused decisions" essentially mid contract without contacting me about it first and tried to act like they did me a favor, while renewing the contract again without my consent. And then were surprised when I left them literally immediately. "Is there anything we can do to preserve your business?" was the wrong question to ask me.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Weird. I have to say over $300 for a smartphone and two flip phones doesn't add up. The most expensive smartphone plan currently is $110 and it was $99 just a couple years ago. Flip phone plans have been in the $35-50 range. I don't see how you could have possibly been charged over $300 for what you described. Well everyone has different experiences with their carriers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2