Text messages use data?

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I only have 75mb of data left on my monthly allowance and I have 1 day left on cycle. If I go to settings and turn off cellular data will I still get text messages and phone calls?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you turn off cellular data you will still be able to make and receive calls. you will not be able to send or receive MMS messages, however, you can send and receive SMS and iMessages while you are connected to a WiFi network.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I only have 75mb of data left on my monthly allowance and I have 1 day left on cycle. If I go to settings and turn off cellular data will I still get text messages and phone calls?

Picture messages to non-iPhone users take data, and iMessages use data. If you turn off data, then you will only receive iMessages when you are on wifi.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok. At work I don't have wifi so if I turn off data I won't get anything but phone calls? Ugh. This Stinks. I would hate to get charged extra in my last day!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok. At work I don't have wifi so if I turn off data I won't get anything but phone calls? Ugh. This Stinks. I would hate to get charged extra in my last day!

You will still get SMS text messages with data turned off. You will not be able to get pictures or other MMS content... but text messages and voice calls will still work.

annaharris

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Irish Rose, is right. SMS won't use Internet data. MMS and iMessage uses internet data. However, SMS won't. You can still send SMS after turning off your cellular data...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

If you go slightly over the data just call your carrier and ask if they can
relieve you of the overage charge. I've done that a couple of times with
no problem.

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
AT&T ? Tried it before and no dice. I also turned off data and I got no SMS text at all. I turned back on and they all came flooding in so I don't think it works without data.

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Just got a text. I went over by 15mb!! Ugh. Now I am being charged for an additional 1gb. I used their text message service to check it during the day and it never changed. Yet when I get home in wifi they tell me I went over. BS!! What good is there # data text if it doesn't work!

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Well not sure what happened because it didn't work until I turned data back on and then they all came rushing In. No text I sent with data off worked

Optid

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Texts don't use any data, picture messaging can vary with Verizon if you get unlimited text you get unlimited MMS which doesn't use your data. However any messages or attachments sent through iMessage will use cellular data.

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Texts don't use any data, picture messaging can vary with Verizon if you get unlimited text you get unlimited MMS which doesn't use your data. However any messages or attachments sent through iMessage will use cellular data.

MMS uses data, but doesn't go against your data allotment. However, if you have no data service, MMS won't work.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

btiger1

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the advantage of IMESSAGE if you have a text plan.
IMESSAGE seems fine while on Wifi, but if not it uses your data plan.
Should Imessages be on if you have a good text plan and not always in a Wifi area? I would not think so.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2