Galaxy S4 and Note 3 Leave 5S in the Dust????

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
But see, that's just it. Apple's core users aren't asking for those things. They are satisfied with the status quo and the sales numbers are indicative of their satisfaction. Techies and the tech media are the primary ones who are pushing For Apple to make the adjustments and provide certain things that the competitors have which is sort of amusing. If competitors have what you want then why bother pushing Apple to provide those things? Simply go with a competitor. To be fair, I realize the investments that users have made in regard to the Apple ecosystem and that may prompt some people to hang on, but as I've stated on numerous occasions in the past, why would Apple risk messing up a good thing just to please a fraction of its customers?

They fail to understand the "niche" aspect...it's typically the same people who go bananas when 3 people say they don't care for the iPhone and assume the rest of the world is right there with them.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They fail to understand the "niche" aspect...it's typically the same people who go bananas when 3 people say they don't care for the iPhone and assume the rest of the world is right there with them.

No doubt...:)

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The point I'm trying to make is why cater to the "core users"? Also, I don't thinks it's a fraction of customers requesting a bigger screen. Staying competitive doesn't mean keeping up the same stategy that made you number one but adjusting your strategy to STAY competitive. It's so easy to tell someone "if you don't like it- go to Android". It's a person right to have a wishlist for any platform they would prefer. And it's comical to see how easily feathers get ruffled when someone says they would like bigger screen or other features a competitor may have.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The point I'm trying to make is why cater to the "core users"?
Because that is their 'bread & butter', so to speak. Every business has a target market/core user base. You just don't create a company or a product and simply hope that it will attract customers. You have to determine who is more likely to purchase your product or utilize your service and then go after them.
Also, I don't thinks it's a fraction of customers requesting a bigger screen.
Even with the release of the iPhone 5 with a 'slightly' larger display, the 4S continued to sell well in addition to its successor.
Staying competitive doesn't mean keeping up the same stategy that made you number one but adjusting your strategy to STAY competitive.
I agree and Apple hasn't. Each iteration of the iPhone and iPad has been an improvement and that fact is indisputable.
It's so easy to tell someone "if you don't like it- go to Android".
That is NOT what I said.
It's a person right to have a wishlist for any platform they would prefer.
I agree and there is nothing wrong with that.
And it's comical to see how easily feathers get ruffled when someone says they would like bigger screen or other features a competitor may have.
I suppose it is and it does irritate some people, but I'm not that person. I've stated on numerous occasions that I would prefer an iPhone with a 4.3 inch display. At the same time, I'm making good use of the 3.5-inch display that I currently have and I'm not whining about it either. I knew what I was getting when I bought it and I have no regrets whatsoever. Anyway, continue to speak your mind/opinion. I truly do enjoy reading what other people think. Take care.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The point I'm trying to make is why cater to the "core users"? Also, I don't thinks it's a fraction of customers requesting a bigger screen. Staying competitive doesn't mean keeping up the same stategy that made you number one but adjusting your strategy to STAY competitive. It's so easy to tell someone "if you don't like it- go to Android". It's a person right to have a wishlist for any platform they would prefer. And it's comical to see how easily feathers get ruffled when someone says they would like bigger screen or other features a competitor may have.

My feathers arnt ruffled, I have the screen that I'm ok with...if it had stayed the same size as it was before i would have been just fine as well. They cater to the consumer base that makes up the majority of their sales, if they are happy, Apple is happy. This is business 101 bud, not rocket science. As far as the % of people who want a larger screen, it's probably quite large, but I'd put money on the fact that it pales in comparison to the consumer base 100% happy with the current size (and even the previous size to be honest). They are more than competitive, they are front running...each and every time their devices are released they break sales records, retain customer satisfaction ratings higher than any other device and company...the other companies are having to do things to remain competitive, Apple is simply sticking to what works and polishing it to a fine shine.

As far as your comment about people's right to have a wish list...of course it is! There are things I'd like to see added to the iPhone that are not there right now, but to be honest, I'm nearly perfectly content with this device and would not trade off it's performance and reliability for the addition of any of the things on my "wish list".

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I've owned the IP5 for just a few weeks now. It's my first "smart" phone and I chose it because of it's great sale price and also for it's purported ease of use. I'd been very reluctant to buy an iphone in the past because of it's smallish screen and also because I didn't want to be saddled with a data plan. Increasingly however, internet access on the go is no longer a luxury but a necessity. And the great sale price at walton mart pushed me, finally, to buy. 4"? Not so great, but it was a noticeable, if not dramatic, improvement over a 3.5" screen.

Right out of the box, I was dazzled at first by the IP5's capabilities and ease of use. I'll ignore the deplorable arrogance and it's impact on "customer service" at apple retail stores for now, but my no. 1 concern otherwise with the iphone is screen size. It's simply too small to function as a web browser. Obviously, it CAN be used as a browser, but not optimally so. Reading any page typically involves flipping the phone and lots and lots of swiping, both vertically and horizontally and a good deal of pinching (outwards) as well. Minor inconveniences to be sure considering the fact that I didn't have web access at all previously with my phone, but still a minor inconvenience nonetheless.

The screen is also too small to enjoy gaming to it's fullest. There is a TON of information there with that retina display but it's hard to appreciate when the details are nearly microscopic.

---

Of course I know quite a few people with the note 2 and s3, and those big, bright screens will cause any IP5 user to "take note" (pun intended) and likely give pause as well.

Viewing the note 2 and IP5 screens side by side is extremely sobering. Esp. if you've just committed to a 2 year contract with the IP5, and find yourself just outside the return period. :/

The note 2 screen is very sharp, the blacks are fantastic, and color saturation is top notch. It is a gorgeous screen. And the pre-release specs for the note 3 and s4 look absolutely amazing. 13 megapixel cameras and a 6" screen, full 1080p HD, and that's just for starters.

Meanwhile the 5s is due to add a slightly improved camera. There is simply no conceivable way that apple will NOT lose market share to samsung/android this summer.

I am pleased that I own a very nice phone with full internet access. But this is a holdover phone until I get a look-see at the note 3 due for release this summer/early fall. I think that will indeed be the phone I will truly be proud of owning. It will be the first "smart" phone that is not hobbled in any way with any significant compromises.

IP5, you brought us this far, but the S4 and Note 3 are about to leapfrog the 5/S by a gangnam mile....

edit: I know this is a long debate, but one issue which has already started to annoy me is that the phone feels hamstrung by itunes. There is no way to drag and drop and copy individual files. Itunes syncs everything or wipes your phone clean. There's no in between.

I don't know why iphone users aren't up in arms about the lack of flexibility with the itunes approach. It is terribly outdated, and no sane person believes this is the best way of syncing devices.

Sounds like Android is for you then. I've got an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4. Personally, I prefer the small size of the iPhone. Just because the screen is bigger doesn't mean it's always showing more information.

I'm not up in arms about iTunes because there are no files for me to be dragging and dropping to my iPhone all the time. What files do you need to move with drag and drop?

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Could be. Samsung has many more features than the 5. But the main difference between the 2 in my opinion is whether you want to:

1. Constantly mess with the phone
2. Deal with the Operating System constantly crashing
3. Always have to charge the phone.
4. Others

I have chosen the 5 after owning the S3 and Iphone 4 because I was tired of dealing with the constant battery drain, modifying the phone daily, turning off background updates and an unstable operating system. I just want a phone that works when I want it work and does not require constant attention and the 5 and Iphone 4 never disappointed.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Again the screen size debate...

Steve Jobs once said - ?A lot of times, people don?t know what they want until you show it to them.?

I also think you're exaggerating the claim that most people want phones that are only usable by people with ogre sized hands because the iPhone 5 sold nearly as many units in 3 months as the S3 did in 9 months. A strong argument can be made that consumers actually prefer a more manageable sized phone.

Anyway, now that Samsung has reached the prime time with the success of the S3 they will soon hit the point of diminishing returns.

Samsung's phones also keep getting larger and larger with each release... At some point a line will have to be drawn. To me it seems they just do it for the sake of it. If the rumoured specs are true the S4 will have a screen size the same as the original Note and it wasn't that successful.

iphonelvr

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the note 2 and I'm not intesrested in the s4. But I AM interested to see what the iphone 5s will be like. I think it has better applications and games besides android.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Reading many of the comments above about people "wanting" a bigger screen, I just want to say that I am one of those smartphone users who is not a fan of huge screens. I remember when the S3 came out I loved everything I read about the phone all the specs and functionality but all of that didn't matter when I actually saw the phone size, I held it and immediately knew I was not gonna get it, it's too big for my taste, that FOR ME took the S3 out of competition. So I waited for the ip5 and the size is one of the things I love about it. So do not generalize.

Also that's the good thing about technology this days, you have A LOT to choose from, and for everyone's taste. And you can also try them out and be sure before buying them

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Specs or not, I do not want a phone or a screen any bigger than the current iPhone 5. I already think that is too big.

khobia2

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5 for me period. Truly the Note and GSs are beautiful devices. But I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on the 5S. Just simply like that iOS is more stable and IMO just more polished OS. iPhone screen size at that right spot for me right now.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Specs or not, I do not want a phone or a screen any bigger than the current iPhone 5. I already think that is too big.

I agree. Going back a few mths ago I was craving a bigger screen....perhaps 4.5" MAYBE a 5" at best but I did not want to sacrifice using iOS, which is my platform of choice ATM. Plus I've been having issues with my vision contributing to another one of my reasons for a larger screen. I'm glad I took the time to think my decision through and not jump to an android device because my 4S has exceeded my expectations as far as my needs. Am I still interested in what will be coming up(gs4)? Sure, just to see what features are there. Will I change platforms? 99% sure that I won't. Plus I've adjusted to needing a pair of reading glasses on occasion (+1.25) to help me along, and I've been doing fine with the screen on my 4S, so with the larger 4" screen on the next iPhone (5S?) I know I'll handle it just fine:)

CashiPhone

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The note 2 is an impressive phone and the GS4 will surely not disappoint. The 5s i'm sure will be a great phone as well after the bad press apple got from the iPhone 5 even though most users do enjoy owning the 5.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that any device in the near future will totally eclipse the iPhone. The size of the current iPhone is good. I'm starting to really appreciate the size. I used to have the Note 2. I don't think that it is too small for web browsing, gaming, or videos. I seem to get along just fine. I like that I can use the phone easily with one hand. All in all, it's a great phone.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thankfully, there are enough smartphones, phablets, 3G, 4G & LTE tablets & iPads to suit almost every need and financial status. The hard part is getting people to differentiate between what's best and what's best for them. Since October 2011, the iPhone has been the best device for 'me'. Why? Because I haven't had the desire to purchase any other smartphone made by any other manufacturer. I've seen the Note. It is awesome. I've also found the other Android devices to be awesome, too. Still, they did not and do not move me to buy them. To be honest, it took all I had earlier to not buy the iPhone 5. :).... Pink, I was one more glance away from walking out the store with it...(laughing)

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If they make the iPhone larger, I'll never get another one.

If you want a tablet, get one. If you want a phone, get a phone sized phone.

Don't be the douchenozzle holding a tablet to your ear thinking the people looking at you are doing so with envy.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Thankfully, there are enough smartphones, phablets, 3G, 4G & LTE tablets & iPads to suit almost every need and financial status. The hard part is getting people to differentiate between what's best and what's best for them. Since October 2011, the iPhone has been the best device for 'me'. Why? Because I haven't had the desire to purchase any other smartphone made by any other manufacturer. I've seen the Note. It is awesome. I've also found the other Android devices to be awesome, too. Still, they did not and do not move me to buy them.
very well put D :) also just to add, the point you made about getting people to differentiate between what best or best for them, if a lot more people took the time to look at this point of view I honestly think there would also be ALOT less bashing of platforms too.
To be honest, it took all I had earlier to not buy the iPhone 5. :).... Pink, I was one more glance away from walking out the store with it...(laughing)
lmao !! Oh D, I tell ya' I'm right there with ya. I also really want the 5 badly too, but with the next iPhone coming out just about around the corner, I'm trying my best to keep my patience too:D I feel your pain:p LOL

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If they make the iPhone larger, I'll never get another one.

If you want a tablet, get one. If you want a phone, get a phone sized phone.

Don't be the douchenozzle holding a tablet to your ear thinking the people looking at you are doing so with envy.

I am one of those people who buys what he wants & usually when he wants it regardless of what others think about me or the item I purchase and I'm sure there are others like me. If Apple made an iPhone the size of the Note and I found it to be to my liking, I'd buy it. Why? Because it's my choice and my money that I'm buying it with. If you opt to NOT get one, more power to you, my friend, but I will not try to tell you that you should. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't try to tell you what to do with your money. Finally, I would never call you an unflattering name for enjoying something you purchased with your hard earned money. Having said that, please be mindful & respectful of the other people who are posting & reading throughout this thread and forum. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2