How do you delete recent contacts in your text history

Christopher636

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I would like to know the same thing. I am tired of my phone popping up my boyfriends old number although I deleted it and it sends my text to his old number therefore he doesn't receive my text so it brings a lot of confusion

Richiex78

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I'm having the very same problem. There must be a way, perhaps call your network provider or apple care if you have it, to see if theres a way to cure the problem. Im not happy with it, if I delet a contact I want it gone!

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't everybody think this is quite ridiculous...why is it such a problem to remove these unwanted #'s from our phones. It is very annoying. On multiple occasions I have mistakenly chosen an unwanted "other" number and had to resend my message. Blows me away that this is even an issue :-(

Last edited:

sokrmom

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if the problem also exists on iPhone 5? I have it with my iphone 4 and it drives me crazy. It really makes me reconsider another iPhone until they fix the glitch. I don't think it can be fixed. I have taken my phone to an iPhone tech person and after much investigation he said the only way to get rid of unwanted contacts is to have the phone stripped and reset up as new not using I cloud. Shame on you Apple.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the problem also exists on iPhone 5? I have it with my iphone 4 and it drives me crazy. It really makes me reconsider another iPhone until they fix the glitch. I don't think it can be fixed. I have taken my phone to an iPhone tech person and after much investigation he said the only way to get rid of unwanted contacts is to have the phone stripped and reset up as new not using I cloud. Shame on you Apple.

It does also exist on the iPhone 5. It was driving me nuts. I ended up doing a "restore as new" on my iPhone 5
And that solved the problem. Kind of nice feeling knowing I did some house cleaning on my phone. I only wish there were a way to restore all the saved destinations I had in Apple Maps :-/

Roman Ivor

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the solution:

Update to iOS 7 Beta 2, when a recent contact shows up, it has an 'i' next to it. When you click on the 'i' that will give you an option to 'Remove from recent contact' and it's gone forever.

I've been trying to find a solution for a LONG time now and I've look at many forum threads on this subject. No other way to do it, except through iOS 7 Beta 2.

jwarford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I have an 1
iPhone 4S and same prob. Deleted the contact, deleted all the conversation threads with him in it, but he still shows up when texting as "other." My prob is I sometimes select his name and it is a wrong number. So for all of you with Ex's whose names you don't want to see a possible go around is to add that number back into your contacts but just name it something different. Ie name it zzz. Then you'll never see it. Or name it something else, but then you'll probably just prolong your own bad feelings. That's my best solution.

Rich Mccaw

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
how do i get to delete numbers from my phone , if i delete a number and when i go in to send a txt and type a name in and the number i deleted comes back up , how do i permanently delete it

sam31

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having the same issue. i have wiped a few contacts and they are no longer in my contacts but when i go to send a new text they are there?? please advise

snozberries44

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Okay... .none of those solutions worked for me either...

I ended up creating a new contact that read Unwanted Numbers

I added the old phone numbers to the list...

They still pop up when you want to send a text to the person that used to have that phone number but they are clearly labeled so I no longer accidentally send a text to someone's number that no longer exists.. . (or in the case of the op - that you no longer want to talk to)

hope this helps...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Can you help me out with that too, I'm having the same problem

The answer to your question lies below:

The only way is to set your device up as new and NOT restore it from a backup.

The only way to get rid of it is to restore your phone which was said above. Save your contacts through google or yahoo etc. and all of your other information through another program or site instead of through your itunes or icloud backup. If you restore from a backup, that recent text history will still be there. You have to start a fresh restore, but before you do, make sure you backup your information somewhere else besides itunes or icloud backup. It is the only way if you REALLY want to get rid of it. Apple does need to add a fix for this. This issue has been going on for a long time. I am surprised they haven't resolved it through their updates yet.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have the solution:

Update to iOS 7 Beta 2, when a recent contact shows up, it has an 'i' next to it. When you click on the 'i' that will give you an option to 'Remove from recent contact' and it's gone forever.

I've been trying to find a solution for a LONG time now and I've look at many forum threads on this subject. No other way to do it, except through iOS 7 Beta 2.

Let this be the universal answer once iOS 7 becomes public and people refer to this
thread. As a matter of fact, just sticky it. Do it now. Thank you.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the solution:

Exactly. One of many new perks I like about iOS 7.

Sent from iPhone5 via Tapatalk

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the solution:

Exactly. One of the many new perks I like on iOS 7

Sent from iPhone5 via Tapatalk

aZaphod

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
FIX - Solution

Use iBackupBot

- select your devices backup
- in the search field enter 'recent' and enter
- it will bring up /HomeDomains/Library/Mail/Recents

Either..
Export that file, use a mysql db editor, to clean it up, and then replace it and then restore your backup...

Or
Remove this file, and restore backup.

OR
if you have root access (eg its jailbroken) - use iFunBox, to rename/delete/edit "/var/mobile/Library/Mail/Recents"

WARNING.
- this worked for me
- this may kill your device and make your dog run away.

- It appears that MAIL recents, and iMessages recents are stored here. There may be more.

Hope it helps!

Yptcn

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Copied and pasted in Evernote !
Thank you :)))

I have the solution:

Lhajey Shering

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
If u want to delete one contact forever from ur iPhone.

Don't delete the contact it self, it will show again in ur text history and else where.

leave his name as it was/is.

Just replace his actual phone number with a fake numbers. And save it back.

U will never see his actual number again. Then slowly u can delete his name as well.
There is no other way then this for time being. Lets hope I'd apple will so some thing for it in its next update....!

Feel free from that stupid number...

Good luck friends...!

Free tibet

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2