I'm also having the same issue. i have wiped a few contacts and they are no longer in my contacts but when i go to send a new text they are there?? please advise
    07-30-2013 12:29 PM
    Okay... .none of those solutions worked for me either...

I ended up creating a new contact that read Unwanted Numbers

I added the old phone numbers to the list...

They still pop up when you want to send a text to the person that used to have that phone number but they are clearly labeled so I no longer accidentally send a text to someone's number that no longer exists.. . (or in the case of the op - that you no longer want to talk to)

hope this helps...
    08-10-2013 05:11 PM
    Yes. Can you help me out with that too, I'm having the same problem
    08-16-2013 05:01 PM
    Yes. Can you help me out with that too, I'm having the same problem
    The answer to your question lies below:

The only way is to set your device up as new and NOT restore it from a backup.
    The only way to get rid of it is to restore your phone which was said above. Save your contacts through google or yahoo etc. and all of your other information through another program or site instead of through your itunes or icloud backup. If you restore from a backup, that recent text history will still be there. You have to start a fresh restore, but before you do, make sure you backup your information somewhere else besides itunes or icloud backup. It is the only way if you REALLY want to get rid of it. Apple does need to add a fix for this. This issue has been going on for a long time. I am surprised they haven't resolved it through their updates yet.
    08-16-2013 05:07 PM
    I have the solution:

Update to iOS 7 Beta 2, when a recent contact shows up, it has an 'i' next to it. When you click on the 'i' that will give you an option to 'Remove from recent contact' and it's gone forever.

I've been trying to find a solution for a LONG time now and I've look at many forum threads on this subject. No other way to do it, except through iOS 7 Beta 2.
    Let this be the universal answer once iOS 7 becomes public and people refer to this
    thread. As a matter of fact, just sticky it. Do it now. Thank you.
    08-16-2013 06:27 PM
    I have the solution:

Update to iOS 7 Beta 2, when a recent contact shows up, it has an 'i' next to it. When you click on the 'i' that will give you an option to 'Remove from recent contact' and it's gone forever.

I've been trying to find a solution for a LONG time now and I've look at many forum threads on this subject. No other way to do it, except through iOS 7 Beta 2.
    Exactly. One of many new perks I like about iOS 7.

Sent from iPhone5 via Tapatalk
    08-18-2013 10:11 PM
    I have the solution:

Exactly. One of the many new perks I like on iOS 7

Sent from iPhone5 via Tapatalk
    08-18-2013 10:12 PM
    FIX - Solution

Use iBackupBot

- select your devices backup
    - in the search field enter 'recent' and enter
    - it will bring up /HomeDomains/Library/Mail/Recents

Either..
    Export that file, use a mysql db editor, to clean it up, and then replace it and then restore your backup...

Or
    Remove this file, and restore backup.

OR
    if you have root access (eg its jailbroken) - use iFunBox, to rename/delete/edit "/var/mobile/Library/Mail/Recents"

WARNING.
    - this worked for me
    - this may kill your device and make your dog run away.

- It appears that MAIL recents, and iMessages recents are stored here. There may be more.

Hope it helps!
    Laelipoo likes this.
    08-29-2013 02:10 PM
    Copied and pasted in Evernote !
    Thank you :-)))

I have the solution:

08-29-2013 04:45 PM
    If u want to delete one contact forever from ur iPhone.

Don't delete the contact it self, it will show again in ur text history and else where.

leave his name as it was/is.

Just replace his actual phone number with a fake numbers. And save it back.

U will never see his actual number again. Then slowly u can delete his name as well.
    There is no other way then this for time being. Lets hope I'd apple will so some thing for it in its next update....!

Feel free from that stupid number...

Good luck friends...!

Free tibet
    09-01-2013 11:28 AM
    One of the new updates for the iPhone allows you to open up a message, and when you type in a letter for the first name, it will show every contact with that letter and "recent" messages (even ones who you haven't talked to in years)...on the side of the names no longer in your contact list is a little "i" with a circle around it, click that and it will say "remove from recent list" click that and their gone forever

Great update because that's been bugging me for a LONG time
    10-30-2013 09:11 PM
    can you please help me by pictures step by step...i could not understand
    10-31-2013 10:50 AM
    can you please help me by pictures step by step...i could not understand
    How do you delete recent contacts in your text history-delete-recent-list-contacts-iphone-600x391.png

Image source: http://www.copytrans.net/blog/hidden-features-in-ios-7/
    Last edited by Kaitokomauri; 11-21-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    11-12-2013 10:15 AM
    When you see their name, on the right of it, there's an "i" in a circle. Click on it and they'll be an option to "Delete recents" Select that and it's gone!
    12-04-2013 03:12 PM
    I have pretty much always thought there was no solution to this, until today. My boyfriend asked about the circle i next to the numbers that showed up (like information). I had never thought to press it, but I did. At the very bottom it has a red button that says "remove from recent lists". That fixed all my problems. It was crazy considering I had been at verizon today trying to figure it out and the guy said there was no solution except to reset. Try this and it will work! Seriously. Love my boyfriend at the moment for this great fix. a
    02-20-2014 11:23 PM
    I recently figured this out and I was happy to find it
    02-21-2014 12:18 AM
    Yes!
    Click (i) on the right
    Click "remove from recents"
    A circle is to the right of that contact with an (i). It's not there for the other contacts...only the one deleted but saved in the recent memory & still displaying.
    03-07-2014 11:17 PM
    Hey everyone, you can totally delete recent numbers from appearing in texts etc. If someone has changed there phone number recently and you don't want their old number popping up each time you go to message them etc.

Go to compose a text on your iPhone --> Then you will see a list of names pop up before you select the recipient of your text message --> there will be some that are greyed out (most likely those deleted but still remaining in your "recents" --> one by one click the "i" next to the numbers you wish to remove from recents. --> after that it will bring you to a screen where you can simply select "remove from recents" and it will no longer show up

Hope this helps!
    03-11-2014 02:59 PM
    I know this is a very old thread, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere online (which surprised me). All the answers I found said that it couldn't be done at all or that I would have to resart my phone & basically lose everything from my phone.

Anyway, I finally figured it out yesterday (I don't like seeing my ex's name pop up either)

Click like you are going to start a new text, when you input the first letter of their name, a list of people pops up (that has that letter ANYWHERE in their name), scroll down to their name, there is an "i" icon to the right, click on that icon. There is a "remove from recents" listed, click that & poof, they are gone forever (yay!).

I have a 4S, so yours might be a little different. I hope this works for you!
    04-03-2014 02:57 PM
    I just figured this out yesterday & wanted to pass it on to others!
    04-03-2014 03:01 PM
    Yes, all iPhones on iOS 7 will show the (i) beside a number or email address. The exception are your contacts. Their number and email address will not show the (i).

Sent from from my iPhone 5
    serglb likes this.
    04-25-2014 08:30 AM
    I recently used my boyfriends iphone because mine was broke. I used my icloud ect.. when my phone arrived putting my sim back in and re installing my icloud ect.. i realised my boyfriends contacts are saved in my phone, i deleted them all, then when i came to type a new message i put a letter in of the person i wanted to contact and my boyfriends EX's ipad email address came up, it says RECENT! How recent are these?? How long do they save for? Keeping in mind, i used his phone, i never had his exs number before...

Thank Megg
    04-25-2014 11:45 AM
    How recent is recent? do you know how long recently contacted store for?Thanksyou
    04-25-2014 11:50 AM
    How recent is recent? do you know how long recently contacted store for?Thanksyou
    Megan, I just tested this on my phone, and my ex was still in my "recent contacts" list but I haven't contacted her in over a year. So I don't think this is really "recent".
    04-30-2014 02:06 PM
    Before wiping the phone out completely I'd recommend going into settings - general - reset - reset all settings. Not sure if it will work or now but it's worth a try.
    Tried that and it didn't work on my iP5.
    05-14-2014 11:54 AM
97 1234