Iphone5 unlocking

sicario666

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the market for an iphone5. I have Verizon. Can I unlock any iphone5 to use on the Verizon network? I want to make sure so I can or can't look for any carrier. Thanks ahead of time.

S3N7 from a Paranoid MO-FO

dbudd27

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
You can't unlock an AT&T or Sprint iPhone 5 to work on Verizon. The Verizon one however comes unlocked out of the box and it can be used on any GSM carrier for voice but not for LTE. I would say the Verizon iPhone would be the better choice for you.

sicario666

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I've limited myself to Verizon models. There aren't many available and the ones that are. Insane prices. I'm open to a 4s as well. I miss iOS. :D

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Do you not want to just sign up for a two year contract and get one for $200? Doubt you'll find one cheaper than that.

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon one however comes unlocked out of the box and it can be used on any GSM carrier for voice but not for LTE. I would say the Verizon iPhone would be the better choice for you.

This is a little misleading... Yes you won't get AT&T LTE but you will get HSPA+ so it's not as if you'll be confined to voice/text. Also you'd be compatible with most LTE network frequencies around the world if you travel (just not in Canada).

sicario666

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Not if you buy full price.

Yeah. That much I know. I found a white 32gig 4s+$75 for trade. So I'm gonna grab that. Then see if I can trade it for an iphone5 + cash. I'm moving in the right direction.

Do I need to go into a Verizon store to activate the 4s? Or can I just *228 activate?

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Since sprint is CDMA like Verizon. Can I buy a sprint version and unlock it?

I wouldn't bet on it. Sprint will unlock the GSM portion for international use, but historically no CDMA carrier has ever unlocked it for domestic carriers too. That's why this whole Verizon thing is shocking.

sicario666

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't bet on it. Sprint will unlock the GSM portion for international use, but historically no CDMA carrier has ever unlocked it for domestic carriers too. That's why this whole Verizon thing is shocking.

OK. Just curious. I appreciate all of the answers. I'm very familiar with android but still on the iOS learning curve. I'm gonna pick up that 4s then try and trade up for a 5.

Can I just dial *228? To activate the phone? Or do I need to go into Verizon for activation?

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK. Just curious. I appreciate all of the answers. I'm very familiar with android but still on the iOS learning curve. I'm gonna pick up that 4s then try and trade up for a 5.

Can I just dial *228? To activate the phone? Or do I need to go into Verizon for activation?

*228 doesn't work for LTE phones, but I think it would for the 4S.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2