What do you think of the new iPhone that was unveiled today?

Phone what you expected or more? Less?

• Exactly what I expected!

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • More than I expected!

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Eh, it's okay.

Votes: 106 45.9%

• Total voters

Obsidian71

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Can't believe I actually read someone say that it's not a big difference going from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5. Huh?

1. Single Core vs Multicore
2. Far better GPS
3. In-Cell touch screen with much better color.
4. Way faster and more accurate (colors) in the camera
5. GPU that is light years ahead in speed
6. Noise Cancellation
7. Video Stabilization. Face Detection, Image Signal Processing
8. Airplay Mirroring support
9. Bluetooth 4.0
10. 5Ghz Wifi networking

If ANYONE tells you that the jump from a 4 to a 5 isn't large you can immediately ignore anything they say further
because they clearly have no idea about technology with regard to mobile.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Let me preface this post by saying that if I don't preorder the iPhone 5, I will get one withine a month or so.

Answering Jeremy's questions isn't easy, due to the superior iMore sources I practically knew what it was months ago so being disappointed isn't actually possible. What is disappointing it that there wasn't any surprises, none in fact. The closest thing to a surprise was the addition of Panoramic in the OS but I've had a 99 cent app that did that for a couple years now. Where was the wow factor? Even with the 4s we knew about Siri but when it was demoed it really shined, nothing demoed on Wednesday made me want the phone any more than I already did. I personally think this is what the 4s should have been and with 15 months between the 4 to the 4s, Apple could have done it (it would have hurt their margins but they could have done it).

For my needs the iPhone is the phone for me and until something better comes along I will stick with Apple. But with what I see as only marginal updates there is a greater chance of that happening now than what I thought right after the iPhone 4 was released. Apple makes great products but competition is suppose to increase the bar not play it safe.

Now you will have to excuses me, I need to make some coffee so I can stay awake for the 3:01 preorder :D

Yjaybrooks

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
If you have a i4 jump on that 5 if you have a 4s then you have to really think about it
Because the 4s isn't that far behind from the 5 once os6 rolls around

slickwraps

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Its good if we talk about its positive issues features are good light weighted, thin, stunning 4-inch retina display, A6 chip and ultra fast wireless.Negativity its loos iPhone 4/4s look is much better compare to iPhone 5. overall its good but we excepting something more?

Daniel.Jones

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I was updated

Since I was in touch with a lot of bloggers over web and personally knows a number of people in blogging industry, I was updated to all leaked rumors about iPhone 5. It is exactly what I expected from Apple and I am pretty impressed with it.

n4uaj

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
All the leaks kinda took the "Christmas Morning" feel of past events away from us but overall I am satisfied. I cant upgrade until April personally but my son will be upgrading from a 4 in early October. After he gets his I will be able to tell more about whether to upgrade in April or hang on till next September. If iOS 6 works extremely well with my 4S then I may wait. I have seen friends with the Galaxy phones and to me they are just too big so I am not interested in a screen much larger than 4" for a phone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
And that affects you how?

sign-gtfo-art-280.gif

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Why is it that some people (yeah, looking at you, Cheggy) always gotta be peein' in the punch bowl? Why are they so jealous?

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Why is it that some people (yeah, looking at you, Cheggy) always gotta be peein' in the punch bowl? Why are they so jealous?

I've been pondering why they seem so jealous, and I've come to the conclusion that they have some sort of disorder. They feel the need to make everyone else feel like they have less, to make it seem like they, the 'hater', have more. They have to constantly criticize others and the decisions of others to make themselves seem superior.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

That particular person is not even worth typing about. Anyone who does not post to contribute in a meaningful way on a constant basis is considered a troll and is not welcome here. States that in the forum guidelines. So report their posts and their accounts will be dealt with accordingly. We've been pretty forgiving here but you have to draw a line somewhere.

And regardless of what people seem to think Apple still sold their initial batch of phones within the first hour of pre orders. Now let's see what the best selling phone will be again... GS3 what?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I've just returned from the fitness center and saw this post and fell out laughing. This made my day ;) I'm not picking on you Cheggy, I'm merely laughing at Fausty82's "peein' in the punch bowl" comment.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I thought the keynote was awesome. I already knew about most of the things thanks to leaks but to see it actually in all it's polished glory was sweet. I have been dying for the metal back and the fact that it's anodized aluminum with the metal all the same color I almost wept. I can honestly say there was absolutely nothing that I was disappointed about. I'm still using an iPhone 4 because I knew skipping the 4s would give me a phenominal upgrade. I'm not going to whine about things missing in iOS 6 because that is the reason I Jailbreak. I have a few friends who have said they are looking at Samsung devices and that's great for them. I prefer to stay with the platform that works perfectly for me, that I already invested money in and that my devices all feed off each other.

I just don't understand all the people saying they were let down. What did you really expect? it's got a new OS, it's got LTE, a bigger screen and a metal back. The battery lasts just as long or a little longer on LTE as it did on 3G. So what was everyone really expecting? Apple to invent some supper fast data network? a battery that lasts as long as the iPad? Widgets on the homescreen, NFC is that really something that would have wowed you? I personally think those are nothiing to write home about anymore than what was already announced.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I thought the keynote was awesome. I already knew about most of the things thanks to leaks but to see it actually in all it's polished glory was sweet. I have been dying for the metal back and the fact that it's anodized aluminum with the metal all the same color I almost wept. I can honestly say there was absolutely nothing that I was disappointed about. I'm still using an iPhone 4 because I knew skipping the 4s would give me a phenominal upgrade. I'm not going to whine about things missing in iOS 6 because that is the reason I Jailbreak. I have a few friends who have said they are looking at Samsung devices and that's great for them. I prefer to stay with the platform that works perfectly for me, that I already invested money in and that my devices all feed off each other.

I just don't understand all the people saying they were let down. What did you really expect? it's got a new OS, it's got LTE, a bigger screen and a metal back. The battery lasts just as long or a little longer on LTE as it did on 3G. So what was everyone really expecting? Apple to invent some supper fast data network? a battery that lasts as long as the iPad? Widgets on the homescreen, NFC is that really something that would have wowed you? I personally think those are nothiing to write home about anymore than what was already announced.

Ricky! Where the heck have you been hiding? Welcome back, bud!

ejb222

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
To all who are complaining that people are trolling this thread...especially the ones saying that if "you doint have anything constructive to say then GTFO" Maybe you should read the initial post that started this thread:
"The keynote is over and Apple has shown the new iPhone to the world. So what did you think? List all of your positives along with negatives. Don't hold back!"

So I would suggest you just can't stand the fact that people disagree with your love for this phone. You can't stand it to the point that you aim to boot commenters who are actually following the guidelines for this thread. if you want the ONLY GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THE iPHONE 5 thread...then make one. but until then if people are giving logic based arguements as to why the iP5 is a bit disappointing, then there is NO reason why you should be pressuring them to leave.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Okay this is the last warning anyone posting in this thread. Please do not take this thread off track again. Yes you can say negative things about the phone and constructive can be both negative and/or positive. But if all your posts in these forums are nothing but bashing/trolling your account risks being banned. This thread will be closed if anyone goes off topic again.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

It is a good read, and I agree with some people from both sides. Sadly I am a bit boring too, as I just want my phone and apps to work. My iPhone works for me very well. Actually the size change on the new iPhone is my one complaint. If they did not change the port and the size, I would have upgraded.

I like my iPhone 4S and all the "stuff" I have for it.. I don't want to take all my stuff and add a $29.95 adapter to each piece of Stuff, so I will wait a bit and see what happens next year.

xofruitcake

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I think different folks are looking at Iphone 5 from different angle. The Android folk that posted in forums tends to be a group that is more technical in nature and want the latest and greatest. It is important to them that smartphone has the latest toys. Whether someone use the toy or not is not an important issue. How many smartphone users will be using NFC day to day? But it is a must have if someone buy the next phone by comparing the features. For the normal customers, something else is more important. They looks at the things that affect their day to day use of the smartphone the most. You can see the divide in the online review. You see a minority of reviewers who review by checking off features (i.e. cpu speed, size of ram, NFC, screen size, micro-sd ...) and they give Iphone 5 generally low market for miss checking all the marks. Majority of the reviewers up to this point focus on the general design of how light, how thin and how comfortable when they use Iphone 5. A few of them actually comment on how the "cheap" the competitor feel. The plastic back cover for S3 was not a problem before Iphone 5 show up. But now Apple raise quality of material issue with their product and ask customer to make their choice. And the size of the phone also become a design issue. Before Iphone 5, bigger is better. But now all of a sudden hold the phone with an average size hand become an issue (read: woman as target audience since their hands tend to be smaller). Design a phone thinner, lighter with smaller foot print but yet keep the speed and battery power competitive is not a easy engineering task. Apple has to bring in the in cell touch (and pay for it through higher cost) to cut the thickness by only 0.5 mm.

Now that thin and light weight is in.. Let's see how long it will take other competitor in the space to respond. Racing to the latest feature is a no win situation manufacturers and customers. Manufacturers have the lead for 2 to 3 months and the next guy will have a phone with better feature list and the sales of the phone will drop to the floor. User will feel like they have to upgrade every few months. It is a lose-lose proposition. For manufacturer like Samsung and Apple, the challenge is to build a smartphone that can last a while that both the manufacturer and user can recover their investment in the phone before moving on to the next one. And I think Apple is creating a phone that can stand the test for a couple years. i.e. no one will feel bad about having an Iphone 5 in the next couple years when newer phone with more features come along. And that is a good design decision in my book.

In-Cell Touch Technology Could Help Apple Reduce Next iPhone's Thickness by 15% - Mac Rumors

Kuo calculates that shifting to in-cell touch technology in the next iPhone will yield Apple just shy of 0.5 mm in terms of a reduction in thickness.

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 - Opinion - Trusted Reviews

"Samsung's great white (well, pebble blue and white) hope for 2012 has an all-plastic finish that uses a flimsy, ultra-thin back cover. This is the one part of the phone that has caused the most criticism, as it doesn't make it feel all that much like a device you should be spending ?500 on, even if in practical terms it's just as tough."

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77