Thoughts

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking last night if Apple really does seed a second IPad model they could also be working on 2 new iPhone models. Now I know I'm probably wrong but wouldn't be great to have a choice between 2 different new models to choose from

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't see any reason why they would want to have two new iPhone models out there. It's not like they would sell more.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
They will have more than one iPhone model. They will have the new iPhone and the iPhone4s. They might even keep the iPhone4 around as the budget model.

It is exactly what they have now. iPhone4s (the latest and greatest) iPhone4 (for someone that doesnt need the latest) iPhone3GS (for the budget minded)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't see Apple messing up something that has worked so well for them. The iPhone already has different models as stated above as well as in this manner: 16, 32 & 64GB. In my opinion, it is much easier and economically smart to develop a smaller version of the iPad because of a growing interest in tablets the size of the Kindle Fire and others. I highly doubt we'll see a 5 inch iPhone or anything of the sort. The demand is just not there for it, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I think D nailed it. There was a reason to consider/build a second iPad model - namely, screen size. I don't see the same situation for the iPhone. A modest increase in screen size will allow them to keep a single model, and make it a good choice for all consumers to consider. With the strong possibility of keeping the 4 and 4S, as they typically keep the two older versions available for entry level/budget users, there's no need for a new iPhone model in addition to the new model (iPhone 5?).

That's the one thing that really makes me crazy about the android product line... each manufacturer has multiple devices and it becomes difficult to keep all the different models separate.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

ray6712

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
yes but with apple the demographic would be different and choice is always a good thing. Sure they will still have there legacy models but 2 different selling points would be awesome

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They already have different selling points, based on storage capacity, while still offering the exact same phone and operating system. I'm referring to the iPhone as it is released.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Apple depends on economies of scale to help margins. Having two new iphones affects this. Having a new phone to aim at a low price point is dumb. The passing of time already does this for Apple. The iphone 4/4S will be the low price point phones.

For almost the same reasons, i don't think we'll see a $199 7" ipad at first. But i can see it being that after one year.

IMO, a 4" 16:9 iphone is more of a transition. The 16:9 is the important part of that, allows time for app devs to adjust, while offering something to those wanting bigger. In a few years, I'd expect Apple to double the resolution again which will allow for bigger than 4" at the more appropriate 16:9 ratio.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Isn't one of the biggest knocks on the whole android platform the fragmentation? Different manufacturers doing things differently, different size devices, different size screens, and different versions of the OS installed on each?

Apple has residual fragmentation caused by the evolution of the devices (or politics, if you're of that persuasion)... adding a whole new device "just because" would add to the fragmentation of iOS, frustration of the user base (why can't I run Siri, Turn-by-Turn navication, etc)...

I just don't see any real, compelling reason for Apple to go there.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2