Discuss Blog Posts in Forum?

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Why can't we more easily discuss blog posts from the iMore site in this forum?

I mean, in fact we could - but indirectly only. Start a new thread, make it the same title as the blog post, maybe put in a link to it, and then hope for some people to look for it and to comment/discuss.

Wouldn't it be great to have a direct link to a related forum thread under each blog post, to jump right there?

I agree the old way that was removed with the latest site update was useless - leaving comments right under a blog post, nobody really took notice, nor did anyone get notification on answers/comments.

But now we even do no longer have this - and the other method seems clumsy, see the comments above. I often find myself wanting to comment on a blog post, but then refrain from trying it this way.

Or does this option exist already, and I'm just not aware?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
For the having a thread part, most posts have a thread created automatically on the forums right here: iMore.com News Discussion & Contests

I do agree that there should be a "Discuss this topic on our forums" link on the different posts (where appropriate). I don't know how feasible it would be though.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I just want to clarify that all of the Moderators, Ambassadors, Trusted Members, Champions, etc are strictly volunteers. We do our best to uphold the forum rules and guidelines. We pass on suggestions like this, but as far as the structure of the blog and the forums, those decisions and polices are far far far above our pay grade.

And, ICYMI, you can get to the forums from the Blog's home page.

Forum from blog.jpg

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the hint with how to access the forum. This is how I've been accessing it since visiting the site.
My suggestion was not about how to access the forum in general.

I appreciate the work that you are doing and understand that it's not easy, in particular as a voluntary/underpaid job.

The question is, does it make any sense to make suggestions at all, under these circumstances? None of my suggestions were for earth shattering features, just enhancements for more convenience.
Reports on errors or parts of the forum not working properly are a different story though.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the hint with how to access the forum. This is how I've been accessing it since visiting the site.
My suggestion was not about how to access the forum in general.

I appreciate the work that you are doing and understand that it's not easy, in particular as a voluntary/underpaid job.

The question is, does it make any sense to make suggestions at all, under these circumstances? None of my suggestions were for earth shattering features, just enhancements for more convenience.
Reports on errors or parts of the forum not working properly are a different story though.

Suggestions are always a good thing, I think.

blecch

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Why can't we more easily discuss blog posts from the iMore site in this forum?
...I agree the old way that was removed with the latest site update was useless - leaving comments right under a blog post, nobody really took notice, nor did anyone get notification on answers/comments.
I used to enjoy commenting on iMore articles - I thought that comments added value for other readers and for site authors and editors, and it also made it feel like readers mattered and that our thoughts and feedback were welcome. I put a lot of thought and effort into many of my comments as well.

It's extremely disappointing that the comment feature was removed. Why can't articles even include a link to a forum post to discuss the article? Currently the chance for discussion is greatly reduced, which is a shame.

Since this change, I've been much less inclined to visit iMore. :(

I hope you (site admins/ambassadors/anyone who has the power) will consider restoring a comment feature, or at the very least automatically generating a forum thread and linking to it from a discussion button at the top of the article.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I used to enjoy commenting on iMore articles - I thought that comments added value for other readers and for site authors and editors, and it also made it feel like readers mattered and that our thoughts and feedback were welcome. I put a lot of thought and effort into many of my comments as well.

It's extremely disappointing that the comment feature was removed. Why can't articles even include a link to a forum post to discuss the article? Currently the chance for discussion is greatly reduced, which is a shame.

I hope you will consider restoring a comment feature, or at the very least automatically generating a forum thread and linking to it from a discussion button at the top of the article.

Please understand that we are volunteers and have no voice in the decisions that the blog administrators make.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

I hope you (site admins/ambassadors/anyone who has the power) will consider restoring a comment feature, or at the very least automatically generating a forum thread and linking to it from a discussion button at the top of the article.

I would occasionally read the comments below an article. They just didn’t seem to generate many comments. But a ‘comments’ link taking you to the forum? I think that’s a good suggestion to consider for the blog admins.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods