New iPhone 4S display defective?

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
My brother's iPhone 4s had a broken screen so he asked me to replace it for him. Once I received the replacement screen I went ahead and took the phone apart and installed the new screen. Upon reassembly I noticed that the iPhone's screen shows vertical lines of different colors. I thought it was maybe a bad connection so I took phone apart again and checked everything. Everything looked as it should.

Am I looking at a defective display?

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1402415072.645020.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5C using iMore Forums app

DYLANHABKIRK

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

My brother's iPhone 4s had a broken screen so he asked me to replace it for him. Once I received the replacement screen I went ahead and took the phone apart and installed the new screen. Upon reassembly I noticed that the iPhone's screen shows vertical lines of different colors. I thought it was maybe a bad connection so I took phone apart again and checked everything. Everything looked as it should.

View attachment 58321

That's definitely a faulty display. Either something in the wiring, or the display was ruined somehow.

Don't count on getting it working...

Sorry to see!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

Looks to be defective sounds like you did the job right since you checked it twice but look up another tutorial just to be sure

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
re:

View attachment 58321

That's fake iPhone 4S from china your brother has. The screen replacement is as well as fake. The home button of a white iPhone 4S was never black.
The ear speaker looks strange from the picture, kind of I can see the shape of the internal ear speaker. Last but not least no genuine iPhone 4S in the entire history of iPhone 4S ever had that kind of screen troubles that I had read or even hear off except of course fake chine iPhones.
Simple way to check it to compare the serial number at the back of the iPhone to the one present in the sim tray (that is if it even have a serial number printed on the sim's tray to start with)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DYLANHABKIRK

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

That's fake iPhone 4S from china your brother has. The screen replacement is as well as fake. The home button of a white iPhone 4S was never black.
The ear speaker looks strange from the picture, kind of I can see the shape of the internal ear speaker. Last but not least no genuine iPhone 4S in the entire history of iPhone 4S ever had that kind of screen troubles that I had read or even hear off except of course fake chine iPhones.
Simple way to check it to compare the serial number at the back of the iPhone to the one present in the sim tray (that is if it even have a serial number printed on the sim's tray to start with)

LOL It doesn't mean it's a fake. I had an iPhone 4 I bought from Apple after it was released, had this problem when I used a non-OEM screen replacement.

The phone isn't a fake, the screen is.

The home button is from a Black display,

You obviously didn't read the OP's post "Once I received the replacement screen I went ahead and took the phone apart and installed the new screen. Upon reassembly I noticed that the iPhone's screen shows vertical lines of different colors"

Maybe re-read that, and edit your inane comment :)

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
re:

This iPhone is not fake. The black home button is from the old original black display. When I ordered the replacement screen my brother asked me to get white instead of black. As far as the earpiece looking weird, that's because it's missing the little grille/mesh cover. The old screen so badly cracked that the earpiece mesh had come off.

The display is not fake. Or I don't think it is. I ordered it from the same seller on eBay that I've been purchasing displays from for sometime now. Never had an issue like this before. I contacted the seller and hi is sending me another display assembly.

I will post once I receive the new screen.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
re:

This iPhone is not fake. The black home button is from the old original black display. When I ordered the replacement screen my brother asked me to get white instead of black. As far as the earpiece looking weird, that's because it's missing the little grille/mesh cover. The old screen so badly cracked that the earpiece mesh had come off.

The display is not fake. Or I don't think it is. I ordered it from the same seller on eBay that I've been purchasing displays from for sometime now. Never had an issue like this before. I contacted the seller and hi is sending me another display assembly.

I will post once I receive the new screen.

One way to find out, check the serial number on the back of the iPhone with the one of the sim tray.
I've dealed with fake iPhones for 2 years and the picture you have posted there looks 100% like the one I was dealing with. 1% of chances that I'm mistaking. Prove me wrong with the serial numbers on the iPhone if if there is any serial number in the sim tray.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
re:

One way to find out, check the serial number on the back of the iPhone with the one of the sim tray.
I've dealed with fake iPhones for 2 years and the picture you have posted there looks 100% like the one I was dealing with. 1% of chances that I'm mistaking. Prove me wrong with the serial numbers on the iPhone if if there is any serial number in the sim tray.

Not trying to be rude here, but I don't have to prove to anybody here that this iPhone is in fact real or not. I know it's real because my brother bought it brand new from Verizon and I have checked both serial numbers and IMEI numbers and they are both valid.

Anyhow, I came on here to get advise regarding the screen issue I was having, so please let's stick to this subject.

Thx

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
re:

The chances seem slim that you would get a defective screen that is new, but still possible. In case you haven't already done so, let the seller know and you should get an exchange.

Can you get replacement screens from Apple? Is there a huge cost difference?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
re:

The chances seem slim that you would get a defective screen that is new, but still possible. In case you haven't already done so, let the seller know and you should get an exchange.

Can you get replacement screens from Apple? Is there a huge cost difference?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

I've contacted the seller and a new replacement screen in on it's way to me. Seller claims the screen was maybe damaged while in transit to me. Could be I guess.

Not sure how much Apple is charging for screen replacements. Last I heard I think it was something like $99. Regardless though, why pay Apple to replace the display assembly when I can do it myself.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
re:

I've contacted the seller and a new replacement screen in on it's way to me. Seller claims the screen was maybe damaged while in transit to me. Could be I guess.

Not sure how much Apple is charging for screen replacements. Last I heard I think it was something like $99. Regardless though, why pay Apple to replace the display assembly when I can do it myself.

Best of Luck with the new display.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
re:

Received new screen today. Went ahead and installed it and same problem as with the first replacement screen. So now I'm assuming the problem is not the screens but the iPhone itself. My brother shared some info which would of been nice to know from the beginning. He had dropped the iPhone in the toilet. According to him he removed really quickly and put it in a container with rice.

Anyhow, with this newfound information I decided to look at other possibilities. My son actually pointed out the fact that the battery could be the problem.

The iPhone is recognized in iTunes and the backlight turns on but there is no actual image on the LCD except for the following:
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1403055157.669044.jpg

Gonna try a new battery and post back.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
re:

I don't think it's right to ask someone to post their serial number on the forums. If the OP says it's not a fake, who are we to make a big fuss about the legality of it?

Edit: Yeah. Water damage is a big deal with electronics. At this point your better off getting a used 4s that's working but possibly just has a cracked screen if you want to use the display. Save a little money too.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
re:

I noticed some corrosion on the logic board and connectors so I decided to follow one of those YouTube videos that show how to repair an iPhone which has gotten wet. As I've stated before though, the iPhone is recognized in iTunes, vibrator turns on and off when toggling the switch and I can hear the camera shutter sound when I press the home and power button together to take a screen image.

With that said, I took the phone apart yet again. This time also removing the metal covers that go over the processor and other chips. Dipped the logic board in a small plastic container with some 70% alcohol. I let it sit there for a few minutes and the used a brand new toothbrush to brush around the logic board and connectors and plugs and such. Made sure to dry it good and also used a can of compressed air to make sure I got all moisture out. After this I let it sit for a good 30 minutes and then proceeded to put everything back together.

iPhone does the same exact thing as it's been doing and it's still recognized in iTunes. But still nothing on the screen except that bright white/bluish image in the center. Backlight turns on, but still no actual display of the Apple logo or Home screen.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
re:

Finally got the new battery today. New battery didn't make a difference. I guess this iPhone is done for.

Will try selling it as is.

Cyanogenian

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
re:

My father is having the same issue with his phone. One day, the screen became blurry towards the outer edges of the screen and went away. Now, in the process of updating the phones iOS from 7.0.6 to 7.1.2, the phones screen became just like what you have pictured and the area where the screen connects to the logic board gets hot. The phone also constantly chimes when it is plugged in and charging. I have inspected the device inside and have tried to restore the phone, but have not come to any conclusion. Have you tried restoring your phone?

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
re:

Have you tried restoring your phone?

Sorry for the late reply.

I tried restoring it in iTunes but it asks to enter the passcode on the iPhone and since the screen doesn't display anything besides what I've pictured here, I can't enter the passcode on the iPhone, therefore can't restore it.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
re:

For the record, always use 99% isopropyl alcohol when working on phones.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Sorry for the late reply.

Crap, thought 70% was good enough. It's actually all I had in the medicine cabinet.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl