iMessage doesn't always work

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend just got a 4s from Verizon and I've had one from Sprint for awhile. When I send her a text it shows as iMessage on my phone but the contact she sees isn't my name. It's my Apple ID. If she responds to that message it shows as an iMessage on her phone.

However, if she uses my first name from her contacts like normal it goes out as a normal text. How can I rectify this?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings/Message/Receive At/Caller ID and then put a checkmark next to your phone number. That *should* take care of it.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried that and it didn't work at first. Then I rebooted and it seemed to fix it.

The peculiar thing is I checked around with friends with 4s iPhones and they say that texts to me have always been iMessage. Some of them are on Verizon like my GF. The issue appeared to be on my end so I don't get why it's just her phone that did that.

Thanks for the help. I'll update here if i learn anything.

Edit: I forgot something else I did at the same time. I went to contacts on my phone under my own name. What I had there was my number under "mobile" instead of "iPhone". I switched it to "iPhone". Don't know if that did anything.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried that and it didn't work at first. Then I rebooted and it seemed to fix it.

The peculiar thing is I checked around with friends with 4s iPhones and they say that texts to me have always been iMessage. Some of them are on Verizon like my GF. The issue appeared to be on my end so I don't get why it's just her phone that did that.

Thanks for the help. I'll update here if i learn anything.

Edit: I forgot something else I did at the same time. I went to contacts on my phone under my own name. What I had there was my number under "mobile" instead of "iPhone". I switched it to "iPhone". Don't know if that did anything.

I'm glad you got it working, my friend. As for changing your contacts with iPhone to reflect that is a good thing. Whether doing so contributed to the fix is doubtful. It does, however, make it easy for Siri. For example, you can simply say, "call John Doe (pause) iPhone".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyberdragon505