Wifi sleep policy/Roam only

Dunkin

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Recently I switched from Android/Blackberry to my first iPhone on Sprint. I have a few questions and I am sorry if this has been covered but I have searched google and have come up with no "definitive" answer.

1. I rely heavily on Wifi while at home because I live in a basement apartment with little to no signal. From what I have read, Wifi is turned off as soon as the screen sleeps. Is there no way to change this? like in Android?

2. Related to the above, I constantly switch between extended and sprint at home, even while sitting still. Is there no way to "Roam Only"? as Verizon's signal is a bit better here.

If this can't be done in the standard Apple Ecosystem is this something that can be accomplished once a Jailbreak is available for the 4s?

Thanks for your help.

jtrevill

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
#1 - I don't think this is the case. I think wi-fi is always on regardless of lock screen state. I'm on Wifi at home as well and it will continue to receive emails throughout the course of the night regardless of a cell connection.

#2 - no clue :)

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. jtrevill. I hope thats the case.

hes incorrect wi-fi shuts off when the phone sleeps to save battery power.. You can even see it happen in most cases you will see a 3g symbol when waking back up for a brief second until it connects to wi-fi..

apple did this intentionally I am not sure if jailbreaking can turn this off. I did hear about a application that can keep the wi-fi connection awake but im not sure of the app.. but I promise you the wi-fi sleeps when the phone sleeps

Dunkin

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
hes incorrect wi-fi shuts off when the phone sleeps to save battery power.. You can even see it happen in most cases you will see a 3g symbol when waking back up for a brief second until it connects to wi-fi..

apple did this intentionally I am not sure if jailbreaking can turn this off. I did hear about a application that can keep the wi-fi connection awake but im not sure of the app.. but I promise you the wi-fi sleeps when the phone sleeps

Thank you. So I am to assume this is also the case when I turn off cell phone data and enable wi-fi only. I think I kind of answered my other question as well. When jailbroken. I could essentially SSH in and modify the prl. Sort of along the lines of [6/16]*techknowfile's* - Hack the HTC EVO - 3G w/o Sprint EVDO coverage! - xda-developers but with more work.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. So I am to assume this is also the case when I turn off cell phone data and enable wi-fi only. I think I kind of answered my other question as well. When jailbroken. I could essentially SSH in and modify the prl. Sort of along the lines of [6/16]*techknowfile's* - Hack the HTC EVO - 3G w/o Sprint EVDO coverage! - xda-developers but with more work.

if you turn off cell service completely im not sure if wi-fi will die out or not never tried it.. the way to test it would be to turn it off and send yourself a email with the phone asleep or something

Reactions: Dunkin

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
2. Related to the above, I constantly switch between extended and sprint at home, even while sitting still. Is there no way to "Roam Only"? as Verizon's signal is a bit better here.

Regarding your second question - Its my understanding that most (if not all) of the new Sprint phones don't have the options to "force" roaming like older devices. With this in mind you may want to look into an Airave. There is a cost involved, but it may be worth taking a look. I'm not sure if Sprint will waive the monthly fee given your situation but it may be worth exploring.

jalba3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
WiFi sleep policy is unlike Android's. We don't have the option to select whether to sleep, always, or never. I noticed one thing though. My wi-fi would go off on the phone after the phone has been on standby for several mins. When I unlock the screen, the WiFi quickly kicks in. However, I enabled iTunes WiFi sync, and now it is always on regardless of which router/network I'm connected to.

As far as forcing to roam, there is no way to force on iPhone like there was on my previous Pr? w/ homebrew.

candy84

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
If you turn your cellular data off the wifi won't "sleep" you will still be able to receive emails and notifications when the phone is at a sleep state.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Thanks noaim, I was trying to figure out why in the morning my emails would be a few minutes behind when I got the alert.

And to the OP, sprint will have a problem with you roaming constantly. If verizon is better in your area why not switch to them, even if sprint is cheaper, it makes no sense to pay for service you can't use.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2