Iphone 4 home button issue.

daneg

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
So I have a verizon iphone 4. I got it july of last year. Since day one it has been in an otterbox defender. never dropped or anything like that. Tonight while using it I took notice it is not responsive at times. If i HOLD it down it works. If I click it, nothing happens. i have to do it multiple times. I tried restarting the phone and it hasnt helped.

Any ideas?

Do I just walk into an apple store with it? Or make an appointment. What will they do for it?

Edit: I just read a tip where someone said to insert the USB plug into the phone and move it around. I did it, and works. Odd.

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
There is also a way to recall rate the home button... Open any "stock app" like messages, safari, clock, calendar, etc... And then hold the power button down until the slide to power off shows up, then hold the home button for 20 seconds until the slide to power off disappears....

Reactions: colocolo

colocolo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
There is also a way to recall rate the home button... Open any "stock app" like messages, safari, clock, calendar, etc... And then hold the power button down until the slide to power off shows up, then hold the home button for 20 seconds until the slide to power off disappears....

Thats a great one....Had I seen this 3-4 days ago maybe Apple didnt have to exchange my phone, which they did on tuesday under their extended warranty, due to the same problem, an unresponsive at times home button.

colocolo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Has nothing to do with the Home Buttton, but this pain in the neck problem comes up everytime in the new I phone, something I never experienced before...

"Enter Voicemail Password"

My voice mail is working correctly after switchin info from one phone to the other, how do I scrub this annoying rectangular boxed message?

Thanks

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Thats a great one....Had I seen this 3-4 days ago maybe Apple didnt have to exchange my phone, which they did on tuesday under their extended warranty, due to the same problem, an unresponsive at times home button.

I has mine replaced and my wife's for same issue from what I tell it was dust or dirt blocking the contacts or the pins bent and were not making contact each time .. ( if you know how the internals on the actual button work it makes sense)

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Has nothing to do with the Home Buttton, but this pain in the neck problem comes up everytime in the new I phone, something I never experienced before...

"Enter Voicemail Password"

My voice mail is working correctly after switchin info from one phone to the other, how do I scrub this annoying rectangular boxed message?

Thanks

Reset your voice mail password

Reactions: colocolo

vemshnub

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
It may be dust/ dirt under the button.

You may not want to risk this method, but I did and my button now works perfectly.

The answer is nail polish remover!

Soak one end of a cotton bud and rub it around the edge of the button, then press the button to make sure some of it goes behind it. Then wait 30 mins to see if it is working again. If not, try again. The key is the amount of liquid, make sure there's enough to actually drip behind the button, but then not too much to damage your phone.

It's risky, but it worked a treat for me! Good luck :)

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I would make an appointment and take it to the Apple store. If you try to do it yourself and get liquid behind it and it doesn't then try to take it to them, they won't help you out as they check for water first thing. Good luck!

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed the last couple of days mine has had a louder than normal crack kind of sound to it if I dont hit it dead on, not sure if the oils from the finger after time have built up on it or what. should i run it down to apple if it gets worse?

loco90

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Air

I was having the same problem. I used my air compressor to blow out the charging port and held the button down and blew around it. So far so good.

SandeepRoy

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Home Button replacement- unlocked iPhone 4

Maybe it's lose and moving the plug re adjusted it

I tried inserting & moving the connector but got respite for a few days.
Will a folded packing plastic insert on the rear side solve the issue ?
OR since i'm unofficially unlocked & jailbroken, will a replacement of the Home Button affect my unlock, 'coz the battery will have to be removed ?

teepeeayy

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Over the past month I've seen this more and more. I recall there was an IOS issue a year or so ago that people were complaining about. I don't think that was completely resolved. I've resorted to powering off the phone when this happens. Sometimes even just waiting a little while affects my ability to use the home button. Its an odd one (iphone 4, btw)

loco90

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
No More Air

I was having the same problem. I used my air compressor to blow out the charging port and held the button down and blew around it. So far so good.

So the air thing didn't work out. I ended up taking the phone in to be repaired and had the charging port replaced, the old one had the red tape of water detection and this likely caused the problem according to the repair man. So 50 bucks later all is well with the world again.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I had taken mine in to apple. They couldn't duplicate the problem. So I get back home re jb my phone and to my surprise the problem came back. Restored and no more problems

Sent from my iPhone on 5.1.1 using Tapatalk

soc

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Be careful with any liquids as I have done this in the past and it went passed the home button and damaged the LCD display. I sent it off and had a new home button fitted, now it works a treat! I suppose they just get worn out with all the pressing.

synaesthee

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I had a weird issue with mine. For some reason, over time, the little screws on the bottom of my iPhone 4 were loosening, unbeknownst to me. This affected the functionality of my home button. I took them off one day out of curiosity to blow dust out of the phone, and noticed one side was pretty loose. After putting it back together and tightening the screws, the home button felt and worked a little better.

Just another thing you could try, that is, if you don't have those new stupid screws on the bottom.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2