Notification Questions

KnockinThaBoots

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
So I just switched from a Blackberry to an iPhone, and it's cool, but it is driving me crazy that I can't figure out how to set ring/vibrate/silence profiles based on where I am at a point in time (home, office, meeting, asleep, etc). I've searched this forum and the only hits I got were from 2009 when the consensus was that this was simply not possible. Surely Apple has updated this by now, or there is an app that does it, as I think even the $9.99 pre-paid phones from Walmart can do this. If it can't, how do I simply turn off all ringers and put it on vibrate?

Also, if I turn off the sound on the e-mail notification, the badge indicators also go away. Is this working properly? I would like to know how many e-mails I have without opening the mail program and without it chiming 500 times per day because of listserv e-mails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

garyf33

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Also came from Blackberry and as of now the only way to get profiles on the Iphone 4 is to jailbreak it and purchase an app called MyProfiles which helps but it's not as good as the Blackberry Profiles. This is one of the reasons I'm considering going back to a Blackberry.

Here's a link to MyProfiles,

MyProfiles - Customize Text, Email alerts on iPhone

Last edited:

brengla

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Regarding your first point on profiles, nope, 'fraid not. Apple have annoyingly still not implemented anything like this. iOS 6 maybe.

Apps can't even do this. They don't have the rights.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lol...i love threads like these.

You either need your ringer or you don't...these "profiles" are really nothing more than adding a little "title" to the simple act of muting the phone. To mute the phone, you use the button on the side...up for ring, down for vibrate (or turn vibrate off if you prefer nothing to happen). What is "annoying" about it? The fact that it takes 1 second to turn the volume down if its too loud for a situation? Or a split second to click the mute button over so the phone doesn't make noise anymore? lol...i guess I'm just one who doesn't mind a couple of seconds to adjust the phone exactly how i need...shortcuts? lol...thats like making a short cut to blink your eyes.

Is there really a need for a "home" setting or a "work" setting, that have to be accessed in menus anyways? Turn volume up or down if its too loud...turn ringers/sound off and on if needed...Apple made all that BS on blackberrys simple, and yet people feel they are "missing" something.

As far as the email situation goes...i currently have mine set to no sound notification but i still get the little icon on the app when there is a new message...

St3ib

May 8, 2011
Visit site
not just an extra button....

One thing that was nice about BB Profiles is you could have it so only those "important" calls came through at work or night. My wife just had a baby and I was working nights so i slept during the day. With my BB i could set it up so only her calls rang and everyone else was silent while i was sleeping. (didn't want to miss baby or anything)
Now that i have the iPhone, i do miss profiles but its not a deal breaker.

KnockinThaBoots

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
lol...i love threads like these.

You either need your ringer or you don't...these "profiles" are really nothing more than adding a little "title" to the simple act of muting the phone. To mute the phone, you use the button on the side...up for ring, down for vibrate (or turn vibrate off if you prefer nothing to happen). What is "annoying" about it? The fact that it takes 1 second to turn the volume down if its too loud for a situation? Or a split second to click the mute button over so the phone doesn't make noise anymore? lol...i guess I'm just one who doesn't mind a couple of seconds to adjust the phone exactly how i need...shortcuts? lol...thats like making a short cut to blink your eyes.

Is there really a need for a "home" setting or a "work" setting, that have to be accessed in menus anyways? Turn volume up or down if its too loud...turn ringers/sound off and on if needed...Apple made all that BS on blackberrys simple, and yet people feel they are "missing" something.

As far as the email situation goes...i currently have mine set to no sound notification but i still get the little icon on the app when there is a new message...

Because at some people's jobs, having a phone ring, even if for a split second is not possible. For example, I am an attorney ... if my phone rings while I am in Court, I go to jail for the day, it's that simple. The judges have made it perfectly clear that they do not tolerate phones ringing in their courtrooms. However, I need the phone to alert me if office e-mails are coming in, because they may pertain to what I am doing, but I can't have it disrupting me for personal texts. So I need to be able to profile it to alert me for certain items, while leaving other items silent. Similarly, when I am home, I want it to ring for personal calls and texts, but be silent for work e-mails so that I can look at them when I am ready. Profiles allow me to set those specifications up once, and then just hit one shortcut button to implement the appropriate one depending on where I am at that time, so I don't have to re-profile 10 different times throughout the day. The device is supposed to assist me and make my life easier, not cause me to have to check it every 15 minutes. I think the conclusion that I'm reaching from this thread is that the iPhone is not the correct device for me. I'm happy that I can seemingly control a mission to the moon from it, but if it lacks the basic functions of a telephone for business purposes, then it is not a good fit for me.

garyf33

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Because at some people's jobs, having a phone ring, even if for a split second is not possible. For example, I am an attorney ... if my phone rings while I am in Court, I go to jail for the day, it's that simple. The judges have made it perfectly clear that they do not tolerate phones ringing in their courtrooms. However, I need the phone to alert me if office e-mails are coming in, because they may pertain to what I am doing, but I can't have it disrupting me for personal texts. So I need to be able to profile it to alert me for certain items, while leaving other items silent. Similarly, when I am home, I want it to ring for personal calls and texts, but be silent for work e-mails so that I can look at them when I am ready. Profiles allow me to set those specifications up once, and then just hit one shortcut button to implement the appropriate one depending on where I am at that time, so I don't have to re-profile 10 different times throughout the day. The device is supposed to assist me and make my life easier, not cause me to have to check it every 15 minutes. I think the conclusion that I'm reaching from this thread is that the iPhone is not the correct device for me. I'm happy that I can seemingly control a mission to the moon from it, but if it lacks the basic functions of a telephone for business purposes, then it is not a good fit for me.

Also to add on to this, for me profiles make it easier at work, home and at night! I don't need to be woke up by e-mails, texts or unwanted phone calls but yet I want audio ringtones for work or certain family members while everything else can be done the next day. While at work I want everything on vibrate except for calls/texts from family friends which I can have set to vibrate/tone and so on and so on. I don't want to have to change all the setting throughout the day. MyProfiles is a help but is limited in what it can control.

To me this should be a basic function on any phone/smartphone, even my relatives cheap flip phone has profiles even though they aren't as customizable as on a blackberry.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So I just switched from a Blackberry to an iPhone, and it's cool, but it is driving me crazy that I can't figure out how to set ring/vibrate/silence profiles based on where I am at a point in time (home, office, meeting, asleep, etc). I've searched this forum and the only hits I got were from 2009 when the consensus was that this was simply not possible. Surely Apple has updated this by now, or there is an app that does it, as I think even the $9.99 pre-paid phones from Walmart can do this. If it can't, how do I simply turn off all ringers and put it on vibrate?

Also, if I turn off the sound on the e-mail notification, the badge indicators also go away. Is this working properly? I would like to know how many e-mails I have without opening the mail program and without it chiming 500 times per day because of listserv e-mails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are no ringer profiles on the iPhone, yes even in 2011.

Apple - iPhone - Feedback

As for email notifications you need to leave it all on. You cannot specify badges, alerts, and sounds specifically for emails like you can for other apps. Don't ask why, we don't know.

I should have just pasted my rant from last week in a clone of this thread.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm not seeing the issue you guys are having...if the phone doesn't do something you "need" it to, then go buy another phone...lol. It's not that difficult, did you come here and post simply to moan and groan?

If i needed a truck to move and load things up to help me with my job...i wouldn't go out and buy a BMW M3 as a work vehicle. Seems pretty simple to me...

You guys want the iPhone to fit everything specific to EVERYONE to a "T"...that's not how ANY device is designed, regardless of what company makes it.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There are no ringer profiles on the iPhone, yes even in 2011.

Apple - iPhone - Feedback

As for email notifications you need to leave it all on. You cannot specify badges, alerts, and sounds specifically for emails like you can for other apps. Don't ask why, we don't know.

I should have just pasted my rant from last week in a clone of this thread.

This is not entirely true...you can have a silent email notification with icon, but the phone must be jailbroken.

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
One thing that was nice about BB Profiles is you could have it so only those "important" calls came through at work or night. My wife just had a baby and I was working nights so i slept during the day. With my BB i could set it up so only her calls rang and everyone else was silent while i was sleeping. (didn't want to miss baby or anything)
Now that i have the iPhone, i do miss profiles but its not a deal breaker.

I agree this is an advantage with Blackberries. I recently switched from BB to iPhone and was surprised that you were not able to customise profiles on the iPhone. I used to like being able to turn off text notifications at night, whilst still leaving phonecall notifications on in case of emergency, for example.

Having said this, the iPhone has so many more advantages over Blackberries i'm happy to forego profiles. I've found that simply using the silent switch on the side of the phone and ringer volumes does the job well enough.