Text Message overage

Iphone4life1

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello I am 4 months new to Iphone and I am enjoying it but I have a problem. I have 1000 text messages included in my package from AT&T and I am almost over the 1000 and I have like 10 days left before I start a new month. Can you tell me if there is a way I can stop the incoming messages before I go over and get charged I have the Iphone4. Thanks and Helppppp.:confused:

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
There is no way to turn off text messages to my knowledge, only cellular data. Even with cellular data off, you'll still be able to send/receive text messages.

Only way I can think of is to turn the phone off, as most carriers won't queue messages to be sent to a device if it's off.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if there's an iPhone specific solution, but you can log in to your AT&T account and do it there. The only messages you will receive are ones from AT&T, which do not count toward your billable texts. I'm a big sms person so I blow through 1000 text messages in a week or two - (Most people in my area have a different carrier so I try to text more to save voice minutes, ha!)

Edit: here's the link Log In

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Hello I am 4 months new to Iphone and I am enjoying it but I have a problem. I have 1000 text messages included in my package from AT&T and I am almost over the 1000 and I have like 10 days left before I start a new month. Can you tell me if there is a way I can stop the incoming messages before I go over and get charged I have the Iphone4. Thanks and Helppppp.:confused:

Get a Google Voice number and have people text that or use an IM service with free texting.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Get a Google Voice number and have people text that or use an IM service with free texting.

Check into WhatsApp, PingChat, pMessenger, Kik, or many others. Most of these IM apps are cross platform. There are a few other apps that offer unlimited SMS in the App Store as well.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's both incoming and outgoing on our account. Although we are on unlimited plan, but it shows both on the counter.

Yes... all text messages (except those FROM AT&T) count - incoming and outgoing...

And text messaging actually uses the voice side of the system, that's why killing data doesn't stop text messages... basically "data" is defined as anything that is NOT voice or text messaging.

swsmpbaby985

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Sign up for unlimited texts. I had a limited text plan in the past and welt well over my limit...that was not a nice bill lol. Unlimited would save you overage fees not to mention the constant worrying about reaching your limit.

SylvieB1984

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I know that with Bell (in Canada) we are charged for both incoming and outgoing, however if you have a texting plan incoming are free. I think that`s a good deal. It used to be that incoming were free regardless, but most people have texting plans so it`s not a bad alternative.

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Being in Canada, I'm not entirely educated on USA Cellular Carriers, however I'm quite positive that they should offer an unlimited plan, probably not much more per month than what you're paying for the 1000/month.

In Canada, Unlimited in/out text is included in every plan south of the $20/month mark, on every major carrier (Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc.)

wamadden4

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Get an unlimited plan... I have unlimited talk/text/data plan on my Verizon iPhone 4.... not sure if they offer it any more though LOL

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Check into WhatsApp, PingChat, pMessenger, Kik, or many others. Most of these IM apps are cross platform. There are a few other apps that offer unlimited SMS in the App Store as well.

The bad thing about these is they require that the other person have a smartphone :(

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
In Canada, Unlimited in/out text is included in every plan south of the $20/month mark, on every major carrier (Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc.)

Yeah, on our plan on Verizon it's $10 a person, unlimited text, pic and vid messaging :) I don't know what AT&T's rates are though...

graysonip

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This is what I do, and it works quite well. I've downgraded to just a 200 texts at $5/month plan because I use Google Voice to text and IM (Meebo and Yahoo Messenger) for ongoing chats.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2